Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    These phones are the 2nd gen. This is a refresh with better specs. They just weren't well known in the States. However SE phones have all the ports built in, as they should be.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    The Sony designs are actually pretty nice. The problem of course is that they are not running webOS.

I must admit I do like the idea of the smaller form factor and slab combo. (no moving parts)
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Maybe seeing that another company values this market will silence the "no one wants a tinyphone" crowd for a while.
    The Sony is a tinyphone slider to be more exact. HP is the company not recognizing that both Motorola and Samsung have developed the Droid Pro and Galaxy Pro after apparently dropping the Pixi design. Both of these new Android phones are smaller, non-sliders aimed at business use.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Veer will not sell like Centro did. Period. They messed up with the headset jack and charging port. Plus the battery capacity is small and non removable.
    I have never owned a second battery for my Centro, and have never used the headset jack. (It requires an adapter as well, in case you didn't realize). That has not stopped it from being a great phone for me the past 2+ years, although I'm excited to replace it with a veer.

I'd expect if you asked most Centro owners about these "problems", their responses would be similar to mine. It's simply not the same demographic as the people who frequent this site.
    The old treo form factor / BB / Centro form factors were hugely preferred in their day.
    I still prefer my treo pro.
    I would have gotten a pixi if it would of had better specs.
    I highly suspect HP has some other form factors such as a slab in the mix. But many who love webOS and the Pre form factor are still accommodated with the veer and pre3.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    The old treo form factor / BB / Centro form factors were hugely preferred in their day.
    I still prefer my treo pro.
    I would have gotten a pixi if it would of had better specs.
    I highly suspect HP has some other form factors such as a slab in the mix. But many who love webOS and the Pre form factor are still accommodated with the veer and pre3.
    I hope we do see a slab and an updated Pixi form factor. I love my Pixi+. I just wish it had a little more horsepower.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    Sony doesn't actually mention the dimensions of the phone. It says it has a 3 inch display, compared to the 2.6 inch for the Veer and 3.1 inch for the Pre 2. I'd say given that, it is more of a competitor with the Pre 2 than the Veer.
    Sony Ericsson launches next-generation Xperia Mini, Xperia Mini Pro | Android Central

The smaller one is 6% larger volume than the veer, but 8% lighter.

It should be noted that it doesn't have a keyboard, but does have a significantly better display, auto-focus camera, flash and a headphone jack.

*sigh*
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    both have keyboards. One is black, the other white. both ugly alike I think.
    NNJ
    Yeah the sony one looks fugly. The White veer looks really cool actually. I'm almost tempted to get one of these instead of the Pre3. Can put that sucker in any pocket and not notice it even being there. I'm not a huge fan of gargantuan phones.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    both have keyboards. One is black, the other white. both ugly alike I think.
    only the pro
    has a keyboard bro

Adding the keyboard makes it almost 50% heavier and 20% bigger than the regular xperia making it not really in the same ballpark as the Veer.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxavier View Post
    only the pro
    has a keyboard bro

Adding the keyboard makes it almost 50% heavier and 20% bigger than the regular xperia making it not really in the same ballpark as the Veer.
    That's right. I saw the initial Endgadget post with the white phone with keyboard, then the second post with video with a black phone with keyboard. My bad.

I looked at the video. Damn, that OS sucks! And on ugly phones to boot!
    NNJ
    I have a pre plus, and love the size and form factor (hate big slab phones). I love web os. When I see the mini pro it is very tempting to jump ship. Easy to use in one hand. Fantastic camera and video. Beautiful screen. Nice keyboard for quick texting.

Granted, not as pretty as the veer, or even the last mini pro. But the hardware has all the things that make it a great do a little of everything well.

Though I'm a web os fan, it I were in the market for a phone...
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    To be honest, when Pre minus came out, i thought it was good looking phone. However, I've seen so many negative comments about the look of the phone. After 2 years later, I think Pre form is little too outdated. I am not sure a form factor actually worked in this case. I understand Palm produced really crappy quality phone and it was the biggest mistake. However, the design wasn't even top notch I think. HP could've easily changed the form, or modify a little to upto date. From Pre minus to even upto Pre 3 and Veer, nothing changed. To me, it is out-dated.
    Slab phones are an older design than the Pre. So actually, slab phones are outdated.
    still not interested
    IMO, there IS a market for these small devices: the crossover/upgrade users from feature phones - its the size of current smartphones that turns them off, intiially - heard it so many times now, ad nauseum - this formfactor solves that problem, heads on!

HP was, IMO, smart to provide this alternative and to be the first to state so, publically. I believe, in hindsight, my opinion will be ratified, a year from now. We'll see.

The important thing to remember is that if there is a real market for this form factor, there WILL be other devices to compete in it; I dare say that there will be quite a few more in the months to come, if the Veer launch goes well.

By all standards, the CPU of this little device is pushing way less hardware (smaller size and res screen) than the G2, so I expect that this thing will be extremely fast, and responsive to new users, and with WebOS on it and that keyboard, it should be atough act to follow for the competition - perhaps some of the competitors will try to emulate it's formfactor, as well?

Just sayin... We'll see over the next month or so...
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

yes... i have posted that the past two years. not just me either, tons of people that have come and gone to other products... HP needs the slab.

Over two years... they couldnt just concede that slab sales dominate and just throw out a slab ASAP to get people to see webos?!!

And pre2 may be a more solid phone then previous... but maybe than the mentality that 'people would go with one with a keyboard over a slab' that maybe a lot of people just prefer a slab over a vertical slider with keyboard? I think bb thought that when they just lauged at the iphone... who's laughing now?

nothing wrong with pixi and dont hear (at least I havent) of hardware issues like the pre had... but look at the number of sales compared to pre compared to the rest of the market. the pixi represents the ultra small market and your coming out with a tiny successor to it and it may be just as solid... but no one is going to want it even more than pixi either.

'but blackberry screens are smaller and people buy them (paraphrase)'... yeah, no one wants a bb anymore. they are slow death right now and if the rebuild... it wont be with small screens either.

Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I do think HP needs to come out with a slab.

But the Pre form factor has never been the complaint, it was the build quality.
    People are loving the Pre2 - Solid build.
    The veer has been said to have the same solid build as the Pre2.

Keeping a form factor that works does just that - it works.

Many phone mfgs - even the biggest seller has kept the same form factor - that's why I think we really need a slab, and then a horizontal slider.

I see the Veer being the perfect pocket device to compliment a Touchpad.

However, I'm interested in the Pre3.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    IMO, there IS a market for these small devices: the crossover/upgrade users from feature phones - its the size of current smartphones that turns them off, intiially - heard it so many times now, ad nauseum - this formfactor solves that problem, heads on!

HP was, IMO, smart to provide this alternative and to be the first to state so, publically. I believe, in hindsight, my opinion will be ratified, a year from now. We'll see.

The important thing to remember is that if there is a real market for this form factor, there WILL be other devices to compete in it; I dare say that there will be quite a few more in the months to come, if the Veer launch goes well.

By all standards, the CPU of this little device is pushing way less hardware (smaller size and res screen) than the G2, so I expect that this thing will be extremely fast, and responsive to new users, and with WebOS on it and that keyboard, it should be atough act to follow for the competition - perhaps some of the competitors will try to emulate it's formfactor, as well?

Just sayin... We'll see over the next month or so...

So small it can't fit in standard ports? That's a good thing??
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    ...it's the size of smartphones that keep featurephone users from upgrading? Really?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    So small it can't fit in standard ports? That's a good thing??
    Moto-RaZR was a runaway hit, and it didn't have a standard headset port. Blackberry Perl, too.

This is such a non-issue until people have had a month or two to carry the actual phone and try it.

just sayin
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Moto-RaZR was a runaway hit, and it didn't have a standard headset port. Blackberry Perl, too.

This is such a non-issue until people have had a month or two to carry the actual phone and try it.

just sayin
    The Pearl came out in 2006...the Razr in 2003...I think things are a little different in 2011.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast