1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI...See the link for the entire article.....

Take care,

Jay
    PS I am posting this b/c it is interesting, I don't know enough about it one way or another to have an opinion!

Android's blocked apps: Is Google selling out open source to keep carriers partners happy?
    By Sam Diaz | May 4, 2011, 12:06pm PDT

Android's blocked apps: Is Google selling out open source to keep carriers partners happy? | ZDNet

Summary: Carrier blocking of some Android tethering apps has some accusing Google of “playing ball” and compromising their position as an open source advocate.

It was interesting to read some of the blog coverage this week about a crackdown on Android tethering apps by the wireless carriers. In most cases, one might expect the backlash to be focused on the carriers themselves, portraying them as greedy execs only interested in shaking us down for more money. But that’s not what happened this time around. Instead, Google was the target.

Tethering, the ability to use the mobile device’s broadband connection for Internet access on other devices, is a premium service that carriers can charge for. But it’s not so easy to get customers to pay for that service if there are apps in the Android Marketplace that will allow consumers to tether for free. Only Sprint, among the four major carriers in the U.S., is blocking Android tethering apps.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Already a thread about this here:

http://forums.precentral.net/other-h...-carriers.html
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Why do i feel like A LOT of editors don't really understand what Open Source means?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Why do i feel like A LOT of editors don't really understand what Open Source means?
    No kidding. Protecting the carriers' interest (and keeping them interested in Android) by blocking apps that violate the carriers' TOS has nothing to do with open source. But both the editor and the writer are to blame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Exactly. I think they're confusing "open source" with just plain "open".