Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. KAPS's Avatar
    Posts
    181 Posts
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
       #1  
    A very interesting article on the Imminent demise of Blackberry and in turn RIM.
    The fat lady has sung: The end of BlackBerry | Mobile Technology - InfoWorld.
    RIP RIM.


    <staff edit>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/04/2011 at 03:04 PM. Reason: removed last comment as trolling
  2. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #2  
    There is a valid reason why the 6.1/7.0 won't run on older devices --- the older devices are all running a 600 MHz CPU without GPU. Apple used approximately the same class of CPU in the iphone 3G --- which the latest ios doesn't support.
  3. #3  
    so older devices, som of which were released less than a year ago, won't be getting a promised update?... hmmm where have i heard this before?
  4. #4  
    In a previous article, InfoWorld had said:

    "HP...realized that making generic PCs is a dead-end business, as would making generic smartphones. Instead, it bought Palm for its WebOS and now plans to bring WebOS to smartphones, tablets, and PCs, in a bold move to unify the three types of computing devices. It's the kind of move that Microsoft could and probably should have tried."
  5. #5  
    Very interesting article (Infoworld). Not sure if Blackberry is dead or rather dying. I know several people who choose Blackberry just because it's Blackberry.

    Regardless, I enjoyed the read. Thanks for sharing.
  6. moegumby's Avatar
    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    #6  
    People choose Blackberry for the phone first, Superior call clarity and fantastic speakers and the best keyboard bar none. Fancy touch screens and pretty interfaces are are ok, but not what makes a phone a phone. I have had Iphone and a Pre Plus (junk to say the least, but Webos is sweet) But I always go back to the berry because I need a phone first and formost. There just isn't anything as good as the berry for voice, mail and text. I have a tablet for the web, but the berry is capable of that too.
  7. andyghost's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    #7  
    for a phone, blackberry is always my favorite, while in the world, a fancy phone (or a smartphone) is capable of doing almost anything, though the experience is not as good as a tablet or computer. that is why I will not choose berry 9900 as my next phone, the screen is just too small!
  8. #8  
    People choose blackberry for:

    1) Its name - a social status
    2) BBM
    3) Keyboard
    4) Because of work IT dept.
  9. KAPS's Avatar
    Posts
    181 Posts
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    People choose blackberry for:

    1) Its name - a social status
    2) BBM
    3) Keyboard
    4) Because of work IT dept.
    I disagree on point 1.
    iPhone is bigger social status then Blackberry can ever think about.
    BBM is still a hot thing but many other apps are trying to replace it and hopefully in due course they will.
    Keyboard of RIM are good but I also think Nokia one's are also awesome.
    If a company has invested heavily on RIM architecture why would they want other phone to work on it and Bring your own mobile to office is still a farce so RIM will rule due to this for years if not for decades.
  10. ijip's Avatar
    Posts
    885 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    #10  
    people can talk about what makes rim products unique to them, but the fact is if u look at their stock chart, rim is crashing. lost 13% alone after earnings. the playbook needs to be good enough to stop the bleeding. im not sure how big that needs to be so we will see. supposedly initial best buy sales were better than expected, what did they expect though?
    Rimm is a cash machine though so if it falls far enough, someone will buy them. the problem is intergrating rimm products with anyones product line. plus if webos does well initially, HP is going hard for the enterprise market, more loses for rim.
    time will tell...
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  11. #11  
    This is THE downside of being a publically traded company - perception of the public,- which can be wrong (and often times has - remember Apple and Travelocity 10 years ago?) can destroy a stock price, depsite fundamentals being just fine, or, at least, waybetter than the stock price would depict.

    Never-the-less, it does appear that the industry pundits have written RIM off - and the cart certainly is pulling the horse at the moment.

    So, the question is, now... who will buy RIM, when it gets cheap enough?

    Microsoft? Apple? Nokia? HP?

    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  12. tirk's Avatar
    Posts
    810 Posts
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    People choose blackberry for:

    1) Its name - a social status
    Really?

    Over here I've never heard anyone under the age of 60 suggest any cache to the BB name. I'd say it was seen as bland and corporate, and low-end corporate too. A bit like still having a company pager ten years ago when all your friends had company mobile phones.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
  13. tirk's Avatar
    Posts
    810 Posts
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    So, the question is, now... who will buy RIM, when it gets cheap enough?
    Microsoft?
    After buying, sorry "collaborating" (like a fox does with a chicken?) with Nokia, what would they get out of it? BB has no technology worth paying for, and their market share is disappearing fast anyway. It might even look like desperation...

    Apple?
    I can't see it. It wouldn't be as embarrassing as an MS take over, but once again, what would they gain? Some out of date, incompatible technology? Market share that is fast evaporation, and they don't need anyway?

    Nokia?
    That would require Nokia to have a future, or to be able to make an independent decision. MS won't let them do it

    HP?
    No there's a scary thought. Would be a distraction from WebOS if they did, and I'm not sure WebOS can stand any more delays or distractions.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by KAPS View Post
    snip... If a company has invested heavily on RIM architecture why would they want other phone to work on it and Bring your own mobile to office is still a farce so RIM will rule due to this for years if not for decades.
    Not. So what if a company invested heavily in RIM. Why would that stop a company from allowing non RIM devices to access their mail system? The benefit is the device would belong to the user, so would the data charges. Device breaks? It's on the user. Didn't RIM announce on Monday that they were going to make available the ability to control ios and android devices in the future?

    There are three companies out there now that allow complete control of android/iOS devices.

    Expand your horizons.
  15. #15  
    Heh, if HP bought RIM, it would be like buying Palm all over again, since QNX used on the Playbook looks so similar to webOS.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Really?

    Over here I've never heard anyone under the age of 60 suggest any cache to the BB name. I'd say it was seen as bland and corporate, and low-end corporate too. A bit like still having a company pager ten years ago when all your friends had company mobile phones.
    cachet
    Prē

Posting Permissions