Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    RIM 'Approximated' webOS, lost some respect in the industry .

According to Business Insider RIM made a big mistake launching a not ready product, that looks like a cheap chinese knock off of webos, as they also think RIM lost some respect in the industry not only for copying webos but for having trouble innovating on their own.

IMHO despite we know RIM´s have the push-email app which is one of the best for business, their products are lacking at this time about the OS, that is old compared with webos,ios, and android.

They are making efforts with the new OS7 just launched on the new BB Bold 9900/9300 touch screen this week, but will that will be enough to get them on track. The QNX OS for their tablets is less than half baked and will not come on BB smartphones until early next year.

Full article quote:

"Using the PlayBook, it appears that RIM may have copied webOS with its multi-tasking card system. As some have implied, RIM's QNX operating system feels like a cheap Chinese knock off of webOS. Joshua Topolsky, formerly of Engadget, even raised the issue when he interviewed HP-Palm's Jon Rubinstein on the Engadget Show Live! (March 25, 2011), asking if they were thinking of suing RIM over QNX for what he thought to be a copy of the look and feel of webOS.

RIM potentially getting sued for infringing on HP-Palm's patents and copyrights may be one foreseeable problem for RIM. But the other issue, which is present today, is that they've lost some respect in the industry because of the perception that they copied the look and feel of webOS. It speaks to the larger picture of a company who look to be having trouble innovating on their own."

"It's going to get even more challenging for RIM to gain traction on the market because in a few short months HP-Palm will release their 9.7" screen tablet, the TouchPad. It packs a tremendous amount of innovation, from wireless charging to an excellent, refined, multitasking operating system that is webOS. Once the TouchPad is released, it's going to compete directly with Apple's iPad since its screen size, battery life, and form factor are virtually identical to the iPad, albeit a bit heavier and bulkier. And we all know how well the iPad is selling.

Since webOS is so refined, with the TouchPad having an excellent aesthetic, and since HP-Palm is going after not just consumers, but the 'business market' (RIM's territory), all indications point to the TouchPad soaking up precious marketshare away from the PlayBook. Not only that, but HP-Palm's flagship smartphone, the Palm Pre 3, is set for release about the same time as the TouchPad is going to launch. Since HP-Palm is heavily focused on the business market with its Pre 3, the combination of the Pre 3 and TouchPad on the market will likely cause some BlackBerry users to jump ship onto webOS.

All this just means more trouble for the PlayBook specifically, and more lost marketshare for RIM in general. "

Read more: Blackberry PlayBook: Rough Roads Ahead For RIM
    Last edited by akitayo; 05/03/2011 at 09:24 AM.
    As usual, good stuff.
    "A cheap knockoff". That may explain the lack of a law suit. No need.

Interesting read.
    Good read thank you.
    Palm IIIx >>> Palm V >>> Palm Vx >>> Tungsten T5 >>> webOS 2.1 emulator

Pre|central Peacekeepers
    SO easy anyone can do it! HP webOS First App Tutorial

If i have helped you; please click the Thanks button.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    thanks for the article. always enjoy them
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Ouch.

It seems odd to say it considering their *current* position, but is there a future for RIM? They look awfully like Nokia did last year to me - great market share, but apparently no idea where the market is going, and no products to compete against the stuff their rivals are about to bring to the market.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    By opening up BBM to iOS and Android, they appear to be somewhat throwing in the towel in their effort to dominate enterprise smartphones in an effort to make their business messaging platform stronger. They may be in the midst of making an IBM-like shift away from the actual hardware to business communication platform services.
    wow. I know there's tons of people still sticking with BB because of BBM. If this is going to be available on iOS and Android, there will be tons of people moving on to iOS and Android platform. I still can't believe they will do that though.
    its kind of wierd to see a publication optimistic about the future of webOS is in relation to one of the top competitors
  9.    #9  
    If HP launches the 3 new webos devices in May/June they have 7 to 10 months to get advantage of these differentiations, until RIM catch them up on smartphones with the QNX OS in, that will look like the webOS for sure.
    Akitayo;

Thanks for the article.. as always, its great when you post stuff like this that isn't in the mainstream yet.

I, personally, am not sure I agree with the overall opinion of the article, that "they are losing respect in the industry" because they didn't use inovation of their own.

While I believe, STRONGLY, that HP will wind up suing RIM over thier IP infrignement, I'm not sure that RIM will lose market share because of this, and I am sure that RIM couldnt care any less what their peers think of this - they care about what their customers think of this.

Despite the media trashing the Playbook for the lack of core applications, the hardware and features do seem to be incredibly well done, and the hands on reviews all seem to state just that.. with the new updates rolling in to add those core applications, they may have a complete tablet in that 7" formfactor by midsummer, with no one else competing at that size- you have to believe that there will be a real demand for that amongst the current BB users.

I'm not defending RIM, here, just stating the obvious, despite what the media seems to want to portray, for some reason.

BTW, I just saw a review with their chat application, and it looks and behaves SO much like the TouchPad's implementation, its scary.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Post deleted because it was full of inappropriate language.

Forum Guidelines:
    http://forums.precentral.net/other-h...uncements.html

Mobile Site - Forum Guidelines:
    http://m.forums.precentral.net/other...uncements.html
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 05/03/2011 at 10:23 AM.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    If HP is going to sue it will be soon. I don't think they will end up going that route but who knows.
    Hi,

Thank you for a GREAT read....I agree 100%.

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    More to come

Seems like bberry is trying to catchup with its next update http://goo.gl/UPepx

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Great article. Im glad someone said it! I was calling the Playbook a knock-off since I first heard of it. Im def. reposting this on FB and Twitter

My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

Facebook: facebook.com/LordSecksie
    Twitter: @LordSecksie
    TextOne: LordSecksie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    its kind of wierd to see a publication optimistic about the future of webOS is in relation to one of the top competitors
    Seriously. And this latest article is only 2 months out from an article of his stating it was a mistake of HP to push its hardware so strongly to businesses. The TouchPad hasn't even been released yet and this guy is acting like the reviews are in. I really don't think RIM should be too worried about HP at the moment. HP is going to be facing similar problems with 3.0 using older apps in an emulated layer and lack of apps as well, plus consumer and developer interest favors RIM over HP. The big players are Apple and Google. They will be the ones soaking up marketshare if anything.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Akitayo;

Thanks for the article.. as always, its great when you post stuff like this that isn't in the mainstream yet.

I, personally, am not sure I agree with the overall opinion of the article, that "they are losing respect in the industry" because they didn't use inovation of their own.

While I believe, STRONGLY, that HP will wind up suing RIM over thier IP infrignement, I'm not sure that RIM will lose market share because of this, and I am sure that RIM couldnt care any less what their peers think of this - they care about what their customers think of this.

Despite the media trashing the Playbook for the lack of core applications, the hardware and features do seem to be incredibly well done, and the hands on reviews all seem to state just that.. with the new updates rolling in to add those core applications, they may have a complete tablet in that 7" formfactor by midsummer, with no one else competing at that size- you have to believe that there will be a real demand for that amongst the current BB users.

I'm not defending RIM, here, just stating the obvious, despite what the media seems to want to portray, for some reason.

BTW, I just saw a review with their chat application, and it looks and behaves SO much like the TouchPad's implementation, its scary.

You are welcome.

As you I am not saying RIM doesn´t have their strengths and maybe was a strategy for them to cut off webOS replicating it, in order to keep them in a good market share position, that they are losing.

However IMO if HP doesn´t sue RIM , they have to make some kind of advertising about what webOS did and is first compared with RIM and the competition.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    More to come

Seems like bberry is trying to catchup with its next update BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet OS v1.0.3 Update – Video Chat, BBM, and More! «Inside BlackBerry - The Official BlackBerry Blog

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Thanks
    Just fresh like that, now RIM is copying the notifications bar webos looks like
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by 4r4qg View Post
    Good read thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    thanks for the article. always enjoy them
    You are welcome Glad you like it
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    Thanks
    Just fresh like that, now RIM is copying the notifications bar webos looks like
    its actually more than that

BlackBerry PlayBook Video Chat

The Video Chat application enables video and voice over Wi-Fi calling between BlackBerry PlayBook tablets in peer-to-peer or enterprise environments using your BlackBerry® ID profile. Here are some of the features I’m really excited about:

One-Click Calls – With just one click you can make a call from your Video Chat contact list, log of recent calls or simply by entering the BlackBerry ID email address of the person you want to call.
    Incoming Call Notifications – You will receive a notification pop-up when a new video call comes in, allowing you to accept the call as either a video or voice call, or decline the call. For those quiet moments — such as when you’re watching a movie, playing a game or listening to music — you will also have the ability to simply set the “Do Not Disturb” option and the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet will automatically ignore all incoming calls.
    Powerful In-Call Functions – By using the picture-in-picture function you can easily preview what your camera is seeing prior to placing the call to see the video feed you will be sending. You can also easily switch cameras from front to rear so your friends can see what you see, and for private moments you can mute/unmute audio or make or take calls using voice only.
    Friends List – BlackBerry PlayBook Video Chat comes complete with a Friends List for maintaining your contacts. A friendly name and a picture can easily be added to a contact to personalize the entry and a Call Log makes it simple to keep track of who called, as well as when and what calls were missed. Friends are added using their BlackBerry ID profile.
    Video Chat Multitasking – Thanks to the power of the BlackBerry Tablet OS and its true multitasking capabilities, video and voice over Wi-Fi chats can continue running in the background while you interact with other applications.
    HDMI Video Chat – In addition to chatting using the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet’s high-resolution screen, Video Chat supports HDMI output when in ‘Mirror Mode’, allowing you to output what is on your BlackBerry PlayBook tablet’s screen to a larger HD television or monitor.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast