1.    #1  
    Engadget's Samsung Galaxy S II review concludes with this:
    "...It's the best Android smartphone yet, but more importantly, it might well be the best smartphone, period...Sometimes it's just as simple as that."
    Other resources:
    Android Central: Samsung Galaxy S II Hands-on
    Engadget: Galaxy S II benchmarked, makes other phones cry in shame
    ANandTech S2 Benchmarks

Notes:
    • Samsung is shipping the Galaxy S II in the UK.
    • Samsung Galaxy S II launched in Korea, 120 countries to follow
    • As with the Galaxy Tab 10.1, the S2 was upgraded before it could ship.
    • Samsung intends to sell 10 million S II's this year (by this fall).
    • Samsung Galaxy S3 upgrade expected this fall, 4.5" edge-to-edge.

Key specs are: 4.3", 1024 MB RAM, HDMI, DLNA, 1080p recording, and 16GB plus microSD.

The S 2 is the thinnest smartphone at 0.33" giving it a total volume of 4.23 in³. The iPhone 4 is 10% smaller over-all at 3.85 in³. This year's iPhone 5 is expected to be thinner still.

First US carriers are expected to be T-Mobile and AT&T followed by Verizon and Sprint this summer.
    The Galaxy S2 has been added to the comparison:
    Atrix, Thunderbolt and EVO 3D vs. HP Pre 3 and Veer
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 05/03/2011 at 11:03 AM.
    I'm really looking forward to this phone!
    I changed my phone to iphone 4 last month using my monther in law's line. I am up for another upgrade on January, I can't wait to see what's out there for me. it's so exciting.
  4.    #4  
    If the Samsung Galaxy S II rollout goes like the Galaxy S rollout in 2010, it will be 5/24/2011 US Launch Event then T-Mobile and ATT within three weeks.

Samsung does world announcements at CES, MWC, or CTIA months ahead of a launch but a US Launch Event is no more than a few weeks ahead of when the products start rolling out.
    a friend of the wife's just got it, and she claims it is on Sprint. Yet I dont see it on the Sprint page.
    How did he get it? (I havent had a chance to ask him). Did he FrankenGalaxy it?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by NABRIL15 View Post
    a friend of the wife's just got it, and she claims it is on Sprint. Yet I dont see it on the Sprint page.
    How did he get it? (I havent had a chance to ask him). Did he FrankenGalaxy it?
    If she really has a Galaxy S II from Sprint, that could only be a test prototype. The last time this happened someone sold the phone for $5,000 to a blog. And he was arrested and interrogated and finally released.

I am betting that she got that new Samsung Galaxy S phone from Sprint...the Epic.
    He must be mistaken. As of two months ago, Samsung stated that they didn't even have even plans for a CDMA version...and the GSM version just launched. It will probably be 6 months before Sprint has an S2-based handset...sadly. I would buy it tomorrow.
    This phone was a big discussion point on the last Engadget podcast ... and it was all I could do to stay awake. Differentiation in the Android world has come to mean "this new device is an even thinner, even-more-nondescript slab, running this hugely clunky OS at even better speed. Oh, and it has a "II" after its forgettable brand name."

I fell for it with the Evo, but after almost a year I'm itching to get away because skinned 2.2 sucks so hard. I just can't manage to get excited about these iterative improvements on a platform that really owes its scale to ... what? I was going to say a lack of alternatives, but that's not it -- just why is Android so huge now?
    Last edited by VCI_Cell; 05/04/2011 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Mis spoke re "Lack of alternatives"
    I love Android because it does everything I need and then some. It's fully customizable, has tons of apps, and amazing new hardware is released regularly. I think it's the best OS that's available right now.
    ^ Totally valid. Its power is beyond question, which I suppose is one of the driving forces of its adoption rate. I guess I'm just feeling a bit of news fatigue re: Android. The fact that I don't like its user interface/experience doesn't help, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    I fell for it with the Evo, but after almost a year I'm itching to get away because skinned 2.2 sucks so hard. I just can't manage to get excited about these iterative improvements on a platform that really owes its scale to ... what? I was going to say a lack of alternatives, but that's not it -- just why is Android so huge now?
    Root it, install Cyanogenmod 7/stock 2.3, and be happy. If your tired of root or need to take it in for repairs unroot it. It's not hard at all.
    More than likely my new phone this summer if no webos on sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Root it, install Cyanogenmod 7/stock 2.3, and be happy. If your tired of root or need to take it in for repairs unroot it. It's not hard at all.
    This quote comes to mind:

"You want me to get deeply psychological on you.

Because I can tell you sir...you change your ROMS daily....because you truly, deep inside, hate Android.

You look at your home screen.....and it saddens you. In such ways you haven't felt since your family split up and your dog died. It saddens you so much, that the only way you know how to deal with it, is to put on another ROM in hopes that, THIS ROM, TODAY, THIS ROM THAT YOU INSTALL will satisfy the inner depths of your soul. And yet, every damn day, you still feel empty and grey inside. You hate Android because it's sloppy, and all of customization just distracts you until the next day when you can feel the darkness inside you no longer."

Original link here:

http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...tm#post1541780
    haha. Makes sense that the quote came from a WP7 forum. Maybe they would understand the love of customization if they were able to do it too. At least they can change their wallpaper... That's about it though. lol.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    This quote comes to mind:

"You want me to get deeply psychological on you.

Because I can tell you sir...you change your ROMS daily....because you truly, deep inside, hate Android.

You look at your home screen.....and it saddens you. In such ways you haven't felt since your family split up and your dog died. It saddens you so much, that the only way you know how to deal with it, is to put on another ROM in hopes that, THIS ROM, TODAY, THIS ROM THAT YOU INSTALL will satisfy the inner depths of your soul. And yet, every damn day, you still feel empty and grey inside. You hate Android because it's sloppy, and all of customization just distracts you until the next day when you can feel the darkness inside you no longer."

Original link here:

http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...tm#post1541780
    Was that a joke or were you quoting a statement that I should reply to. Anyway, that post was hilarious.
    Anyway, back on topic now... lol
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.