1.    #1  
    OK guys, I decided to upgrade to the HTC Arrive. I just ordered online. I love WebOS, but I need a new phone now. Next year, assuming my mom skips her one year upgrade (she probably will) I'll consider jumping ship back to webos but my blackberry ain't doing anything for me and more and more it looks like Sprint is not getting a new WebOS phone, and I don't want to wait for nothing. So I'll be giving my first impressions for any other person here considering upgrade to HTC Arrive!
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    I think you made a good choice to try the Arrive. If you can't have WebOS on Sprint, I think WP7 is a good option for a nice UI. The EVO is the obvious choice for a great overall device, but the WP7 UI is pretty elegant and I'd like to try it as well were it not for me getting an EVO last year. The keyboard on the Arrive is great too - almost as good as the Touch Pro 2. HTC does such a good job with their keyboards.

I'd be curious to know your impression of the Arrive's battery life and signal reception strength compared to your Pre. I would think both would be markedly better with the Arrive.

You must be logged in to post links or photos. And by the way, your fly is open.
    The arrive's battery life is superb per all reviews.
    correct I can vouch I too have a Arrive on another line and have had it since launch. I must stay that it is a very very underrated device. WP7 is IMO second only to webos in terms of how innovated, and astheticly pleasing it is. I also get on the regular battery on semi heavy to full heavy use like playing games watching movies etc between 16 and 23 hours of life. The OS again is beautiful and the physical keyboard is the best on the market. There have been beef about no landscape support for the home screen but it dosent bother me or most user, being that theres no need for the homescreen to flip, or even in a sence to use the homescreen in landscape. Just about every third party app now supports landscape with the usual text, email, IE etc. So you wont have any issue if you want to use it. The IE is better then IOS, as well is the VK. Again only OS better then WP7 is Webos, and with alraedy 15k plus they will be a threat in the years to come to Webos. Also the speed of the device is sick, no lag, no hiccups, and 3G speeds are extremly fast so i dont see the beef for 4G as I had a EVO and it loads pages just as fast. I highly recommend this device.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I think it's already a threat. A so called report claimed WP7 is at 7% market share and Microsofts market share slide has completely halted and now is increasing again since WP7 is now growing faster than Windows Mobile can slide away.
    How's the email syncing on WP7? I'm looking at this platform myself.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    How's the email syncing on WP7? I'm looking at this platform myself.
    Phone Diva- The email syncing is fast and like everything else about WP7, buttery smooth on the phone side. I have noticed a slight delay on my Gmail (but not Hotmail or Yahoo) from the server side once I delete emails but it catches up. Careful, you may actually find you like WP7.

Oh, only other caveat is no integrated inbox but that's a small tradeoff for everything else you gain.
    I used WM5 with less complaints than a lot of people so I'm sure I could deal with WP7. They just really needed some decent WM5 media players and the ones out were good but expensive. I just don't like that carriers have too much control over updates with WP7.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by dtreo View Post
    I think you made a good choice to try the Arrive. If you can't have WebOS on Sprint, I think WP7 is a good option for a nice UI. The EVO is the obvious choice for a great overall device, but the WP7 UI is pretty elegant and I'd like to try it as well were it not for me getting an EVO last year. The keyboard on the Arrive is great too - almost as good as the Touch Pro 2. HTC does such a good job with their keyboards.

I'd be curious to know your impression of the Arrive's battery life and signal reception strength compared to your Pre. I would think both would be markedly better with the Arrive.
    Thanks to you all and to dtreo, I sadly never owned a webos device. I love it to death but I missed the upgrade to the pre and now that I can upgrade no choice of webos device. I used a pixi a lot -- my sister has one -- and its great. And once the phone Arrive's I'll give my first impressions!
  10.    #10  
    I have the phone right now. In a week from now, I'll post my first impressions. I want to take it all in and use the phone and find out the annoying things. But quickly, WP7 is very good. Arrive screen size is a problem with the virtual keyboard and since not every apps switches when using the keyboard it is a tad odd sometimes. But all in all, I like this phone. Syncing my music.

Anyway will post again in a week with first impressions!
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    i actually just returned my arrive on the 29th of april.. i really liked it, but i want a front facing camera.. i think i'm gonna go with the nexus s.. here was my review.. http://m.forums.precentral.net/other...tc-arrive.html ..the main thing you'll want to do is be careful with your live tiles.. you only get so many before they stop working.. so choose them wisely..
    Quote Originally Posted by d.moss View Post
    i actually just returned my arrive on the 29th of april.. i really liked it, but i want a front facing camera.. i think i'm gonna go with the nexus s.. here was my review.. http://m.forums.precentral.net/other...tc-arrive.html ..the main thing you'll want to do is be careful with your live tiles.. you only get so many before they stop working.. so choose them wisely..
    This is why I don't jump on these new phones. There's always a trade-off.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by d.moss View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I don't care too much for the camera on the front right now, could only talk to my dad with it anyway. I like to keep the tiles my wife me and the standard tiles that came on. Anything else I just go to the list. The Nexus S 4G isn't a bad phone. Could consider getting the Epic 4G if you want to save money and have a keyboard (same phone, but with TouchWiz 3.0 -- might be a deal breaker by itself if you don't like TouchWiz). At any rate, I am going to read your review!
    I wish Verizon carried the WP7 phone . Hopely when Nokia releases their WP7 and Verizon can carry those.
    I took my family smart phone shopping for their first time. They each have an arrive now.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    I took my family smart phone shopping for their first time. They each have an arrive now.
    Nice. I dropped mine in water. Crap o'la. Hopefully it will still work when it's dried out.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    correct I can vouch I too have a Arrive on another line and have had it since launch. I must stay that it is a very very underrated device. WP7 is IMO second only to webos in terms of how innovated, and astheticly pleasing it is. I also get on the regular battery on semi heavy to full heavy use like playing games watching movies etc between 16 and 23 hours of life. The OS again is beautiful and the physical keyboard is the best on the market. There have been beef about no landscape support for the home screen but it dosent bother me or most user, being that theres no need for the homescreen to flip, or even in a sence to use the homescreen in landscape. Just about every third party app now supports landscape with the usual text, email, IE etc. So you wont have any issue if you want to use it. The IE is better then IOS, as well is the VK. Again only OS better then WP7 is Webos, and with alraedy 15k plus they will be a threat in the years to come to Webos. Also the speed of the device is sick, no lag, no hiccups, and 3G speeds are extremly fast so i dont see the beef for 4G as I had a EVO and it loads pages just as fast. I highly recommend this device.
    Great comments and I would like to somehow give an Arrive a test drive, but my EVO won't be up for renewal until December.

If your opinion is that the Arrive is plenty fast with downloads, that's a good sign since I rarely (honestly, maybe 3 times) turn on my 4G even though I have decent coverage. The EVO is so fast on 3G and the battery life has been way better than I expected, so I don't even bother with 4G unless I have a large document to download and I can't get Wifi.

Two areas that I'd be willing to swith for would be improved Outlook contacts/calendar functionality. I loved the old full featured Outlook on my Touch Pro2 and run into some calendar items that don't update correctly or contact issues with my EVO, as expected. Is the Arrive as good as it should be for full Outlook support?
    The other item would be that the EVO has wonderful signal reception. By far the best of any phone that I've tried (WinMo, BB, Pre). It just seems to find and hold a great signal so much better than others, and I do a lot of work travel. Even things like inside buildings where I wouldn't have a chance at a signal with other phones, somehow the EVO comes through.

I'd love to try a WP7 or a Pre3 if they also had those qualities in addition to the OS experience in both that I prefer over Android.

You must be logged in to post links or photos. And by the way, your fly is open.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Nice. I dropped mine in water. Crap o'la. Hopefully it will still work when it's dried out.
    Bummer. Did you seal it in a bag full of rice to suck out the moisture?

Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I don't care too much for the camera on the front right now, could only talk to my dad with it anyway. I like to keep the tiles my wife me and the standard tiles that came on. Anything else I just go to the list. The Nexus S 4G isn't a bad phone. Could consider getting the Epic 4G if you want to save money and have a keyboard (same phone, but with TouchWiz 3.0 -- might be a deal breaker by itself if you don't like TouchWiz). At any rate, I am going to read your review!
    TouchWiz...ugh...I think I just threw up a little bit.

20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by dtreo View Post
    Bummer. Did you seal it in a bag full of rice to suck out the moisture?
    I did not. I took the battery out, obviously. Dried it off completely, checked the watt strips to see if any water damaged happen -- it did not. When I checked the battery/inside barely any water. The device is fine now, no hiccups or any signs of water damage. Honesty, BC this phone is a beast and I was so quick I think I saved the insides.

And lol I like Touch Wiz its great but I realize its not for everyone. :-D