Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    TTS is already available, and from the sound of this article its been around for a while on any iPhone running iOS 3.1.3 or higher. I wish I had heard about it sooner. This is what happens when you're late to market with innovations, HP!

http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/...an-iPhone-bump

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I'm glad I know you well enough to have confidence that you posted this with tongue firmly in cheek.
  3.    #3  
    I have no idea what you're talking about, but this really is news to me. Here, I thought no one else did touch-to-share (or, as they call it, "bumping").

Better read up on it, then. They are nothing alike. It's an app that's available for iPhone and Android. They could make an app for webOS if they wanted to.

Bumping is a program that recognizes the accelerometer and sends a file through a third party cloud service.
  5.    #5  
    The underlying technology is different, but the end result is very similar: "bump" your devices together to share information.

this is not touch-to-share, and doesn't really have all that much in common with it. This is a file-sharing app.

touch-to-share is a OS level feature that can be (eventually) utilized by all webOS developers to initiate any number of function, file-sharing is, presumably, just one of them.

the only similarity is the proximity required to initiate the process. but the scope of touch-to-share is potentially much larger.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 04/29/2011 at 06:43 PM.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    this is not touch-to-share, and doesn't really have all that much in common with it. This is a file-sharing app.

touch-to-share is a OS level feature that can be (eventually) utilized by all webOS developers to initiate any number of function, file-sharing is, presumably, just one of them.
    You and I know that, but on the surface, anyone will say they're doing the same thing.

I have used Bump before (the name of the app for iOS and Android)
    All it is used for is sharing apps, pictures, etc.
    I bump my Android device with yours, and it open the Android Marketplace, shares the pic, etc.
    It is nothing like TTS
    webOSroundup and Project Macaw contributor
    Remember, if I helped you, please click on the little or ♥ to the right
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    You and I know that, but on the surface, anyone will say they're doing the same thing.

I see what you're saying. Well Bump was actually released LONG before TTS was introduced to the public. If anything, HP took that concept and ran with it. But in really, companies have probably been toying with concepts like this for a while. NFC comes to mind.

I think that if HP does a good job of advertising how having these features at the OS level gives it an advantage over the competition, comparisons to bump will fall on deaf ears.
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickc View Post
    All it is used for is sharing apps, pictures, etc.
    Sounds way better than sharing a URL you have open.
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    Sounds way better than sharing a URL you have open.
    agreed, what they've demoed with TTS so far has been underwhelming, but once the API is released to developers theres no reason it can be used for much more than sending URLs and sharing files.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 04/30/2011 at 01:14 AM.
    doing a fist bump to share a file is nothing like being able to pass a phone call or running app between devices.

bump is just a cute slant on sending an email attachment with the mechanics hidden from the user. Cool, yes, but no better than the way we used to "beam" stuff between PalmOS devices.
    Well if they're going to call that the same thing as touch-to-share then I'm going to call bumping the same thing as email!

EDIT: Beat to it!
    From the comparison: Atrix, Thunderbolt and EVO 3D vs. HP Pre 3 and Veer
    Proximity Transfer allows two devices to transfer information. HP Touch-to-share (TTS) transfers URLs, text, or calls between two HP devices sharing the same profile (Engadget). Bump transfers contacts, songs, photos, events, money, friends, and apps between any two iPhones or Androids. Near Field Communication is expected soon.
    TTS should allow a TouchPad and Pre 3 or Veer with the same Palm Profile to transfer a URL, text or call. TTS is much like the PlayBook Bridge. The devices must be in close proximity.

Bump allows different users with Android, iPhone, iPod, or iPad devices to share photos, money, songs, apps, contacts, etc. The devices can be anywhere in the US. URL, text, and clipboard Bumping is expected this summer.

Near Field Communications is in the Nexus S and expected in the iPhone 5 and other phones this year should allow greater interactions.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 05/01/2011 at 07:24 PM.
    agreed, what they've demoed with TTS so far has been underwhelming, but once the API is released to developers theres no reason it can be used for much more than sending URLs and sharing files.
    We still dont have many APIs right now. What makes you think they are going to get their poopydoo together and actually start releasing poopydoo in a timely manner or get thousands of APIs out to develpoers??

Ruby said the API will be available in the engadget interview... what else came true from that interview?
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 05/03/2011 at 11:55 AM.
    Just like how tons of voice recording and editing apps would be available when the mic APIs are released? Or when the camera APIs are released? Oh wait.....a year and a half later, most of the ppl who have been waiting are forced to buy a new phone to actually use the APIs.....

I wouldnt say I'm happy about that.

HP seriously needs to start releasing APIs like crazy....kinda like how android and IOS have been.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    ...but once the API is released to developers theres no reason it can be used for much more than sending URLs and sharing files.
    and then there's gonna be a "flood of apps", right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    We still dont have many APIs right now. What makes you think they are going to get their poopydoo together and actually start releasing poopydoo in a timely manner or get thousands of APIs out to develpoers??

Ruby said the API will be available in the engadget interview... what else came true from that interview?
    well, I can't guarantee that the API's will be released in a timely fashion. it just doesn't make sense to compare a multiplatform filesharing app (that could easily be ported to webOS) with an OS level feature without mentioning the huge difference in scope.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 05/03/2011 at 11:56 AM.
    I would prefer to use the classic IR beam in palm to share info.
    Palm IIIe > Sony S300 > Sony N700 > Sony TG50 > Sony TH55 > Trēo 680 > Palm Prē > Palm Prē 2 (GSM) + Veer
    Well i would really like to use bump to share information... on my Pre-. For now i can't even use my bluetooth to share files/icals/contacts... as i could do with EVERY sony ericsson dumbphone i used before YEARS ago. So i'm not really waiting for a magic "touch-to-share for URLs" that needs a special palm-only touchstone/palm-profile environment to work.*

HP !! get technology standards like the old fashioned bluetooth*to work properly on webos, build some fancy proximity features on top and mix that with already available Computer2Phone features like in neato! into the OS itself AND put out apps on iOS/Android to use this with webOS devices.

This is how you could attract costumers from other platforms, not with a feature only available for webOS users that buy the newest Hardware even if the functions could are a longtime standard.

sorry for that long post.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast