1.    #1  
    Hi All,

See the link for the ENTIRE article.

Take care,

Jay

TomTom admits to sending your routes and speed information to the police

By Rory Reid (@rory79) on 28 April 2011, 5:30pm

TomTom admits to sending your routes and speed information to the police | Crave | CNET UK

It appears every gadget in your possession is tracking your location. First it was the iPhone, then Android phones and now it's your bleedin' sat-nav. TomTom, perhaps in a pre-emptive strike against its own user-tracking scandal, has admitted its sat-navs can track users and inform third parties about how fast they're going.

The sat-navs in TomTom's Live range all feature built-in 3G data cards, which feed location and route information back to a central server, which allows TomTom to create a map of congestion hotspots. It's now emerged that this data, however, along with a user's speed, is being made available to local governments and authorities.

TomTom CEO Harold Goddijn revealed the information on the company's website. "We are now aware that the police have used traffic information that you have helped to create to place speed cameras at dangerous locations where the average speed is higher than the legally allowed speed limit," he says.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    TomTom CEO Harold Goddijn revealed the information on the company's website. "We are now aware that the police have used traffic information that you have helped to create to place speed cameras at dangerous locations where the average speed is higher than the legally allowed speed limit," he says.
    Great phrasing. "It was just brought to our attention that we've been voluntarily sharing recorded data with law enforcement."
    too funny!
    Traffic info has been collected and used in many ways for a long time. Here is a company that figures out traffic congestion by how fast your cell phone is moving, and how many are near by.

And while we are on the issue of privacy, my Garmin Nuvi tracks every where I've visited (recently found), places I plan to visit again (favorites), it tells me where my car is parked , and even has a button assigned to calculate the route back to where I live.

Suddenly I feel so violated.
  5.    #5  
    Hi all,

they have been using info on spied for quiet a while the info of how fast calls switch from cell to cell is used to see if roadways are moving for traffic reports....

However, this Tom Tom stuff is a lot more than that!

Link leads to the entire article...

take care all,

Jay

TomTom Sold Speeding Data To Police, Cops Used It To Bust Drivers

By Marc Perton on April 29, 2011 4:00 PM

TomTom Sold Speeding Data To Police, Cops Used It To Bust Drivers - The Consumerist

GPS-maker TomTom has had to apologize for selling speeding data gathered from consumers' navigation devices to Dutch police, who used the info to set speed traps for drivers. The Amsterdam-based company says that it didn't know that the cops would use the information for law enforcement, and that no personal information tied to specific drivers was shared with police.

CEO Harold Goddijn said the company has stopped the practice, and that it was sharing data in the interest of public safety:
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    easy fix.....
    throw out your GPS and buy a map
    throw out your cell phone and write a letter
    throw out your computer and buy an encyclopedia set
    (feel free to add other suggestions )
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    CEO Harold Goddijn said the company has stopped the practice, and that it was sharing data in the interest of public safety:

Do they want to have their cake and eat it too? On the one hand they claim they did this for public safety, and they were unaware this was being done, and they have stopped doing it - but it if really didn't know then it wasn't for Public Safety, and if they did, then what makes it inappropriate now?

Someone needs to train their PRPRPR $person$ $better$.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Do they want to have their cake and eat it too? On the one hand they claim they did this for public safety, and they were unaware this was being done, and they have stopped doing it - but it if really didn't know then it wasn't for Public Safety, and if they did, then what makes it inappropriate now?

Someone needs to train their PRPRPR $person$ $better$.
    I don't believe they expected to police to set speed traps. That data could be used to gauge traffic, install traffic lights, etc. Instead the police are using it to install cameras to make extra money. I would be more concerned if the information was instantaneous the cops show up because they know which cars are speeding.

It's still bad and they're stopping the practice. I think this is their way to come up with other revenue streams now that they sell devices with lifetime map and traffic updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    easy fix.....
    throw out your GPS and buy a map
    throw out your cell phone and write a letter
    throw out your computer and buy an encyclopedia set
    (feel free to add other suggestions )
    I treasure my privacy.
    I tweeted about it yesterday.
    I posted it on my Facebook.
    I wrote a blog about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I treasure my privacy.
    I tweeted about it yesterday.
    I posted it on my Facebook.
    I wrote a blog about it.
    I love the quote.
    What do you think Google does with all of your info you so readily give to them?