Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  

I can't believe Google allows this on Android.
    Google doesn't care about anything.
    No lie, if I ever get an ad via a push notification, I am switching platforms.

Luckily, section 5.6 of the App Store guidelines expressly prohibits things like this.
    This is the dark side of push notifications. I read an article (don't have the link on me right now) about how Apple's de-emphasizing of downloads in app store rankings will make push notifications even more important in engaging users and monetizing apps. The example they gave was a dictionary app pushing the word of the day on iOS, and the dictionary app getting a 6% increase in usage after adding notifications.

This is the future, not only of Android, but of iOS and possibly all smartphones. It's something you will have to get used to.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Google doesn't care about anything.
    They do care about one thing, sucking as much personal information as possible from everyone on this planet.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    This is the dark side of push notifications. I read an article (don't have the link on me right now) about how Apple's de-emphasizing of downloads in app store rankings will make push notifications even more important in engaging users and monetizing apps. The example they gave was a dictionary app pushing the word of the day on iOS, and the dictionary app getting a 6% increase in usage after adding notifications.

This is the future, not only of Android, but of iOS and possibly all smartphones. It's something you will have to get used to.

Section 5 of the App Store guidelines seems to do a lot for keeping this type of ridiculous behavior in check.

5. Push notifications
    Apps that provide Push Notifications without using the Apple Push Notification (APN) API will be
    rejected
    Apps that use the APN service without obtaining a Push Application ID from Apple will be
    rejected
    Apps that send Push Notifications without first obtaining user consent will be rejected
    Apps that send sensitive personal or confidential information using Push Notifications will be
    rejected
    Apps that use Push Notifications to send unsolicited messages, or for the purpose of phishing or
    spamming will be rejected
    Apps cannot use Push Notifications to send advertising, promotions, or direct marketing of any
    kind
    Apps cannot charge users for use of Push Notifications
    Apps that excessively use the network capacity or bandwidth of the APN service or unduly
    burden a device with Push Notifications will be rejected
    Apps that transmit viruses, files, computer code, or programs that may harm or disrupt the
    normal operation of the APN service will be rejecte
    Resistance is Futile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy07 View Post
    They do care about one thing, sucking as much personal information as possible from everyone on this planet.
    which is all about selling ads.
    I never got a push notification ad, but I also hate those apps that keep telling you to buy the full or Pro version, each and every time you open them!! There are apps like this on both iOS and Android!! If I wanted or needed that version, I would have bought it already!!!

If I don't use an app that much, the free/lite version is fine. If they want money then they should just make their free apps trials.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Looks cool. depending on the app that would be fine with me. If it shows too much tell the dev and delete the app, easy as that.

I think androids future is choice which I am all for.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I never got a push notification ad, but I also hate those apps that keep telling you to buy the full or Pro version, each and every time you open them!! There are apps like this on both iOS and Android!! If I wanted or needed that version, I would have bought it already!!!

If I don't use an app that much, the free/lite version is fine. If they want money then they should just make their free apps trials.
    I don't think apple allows for trials do they?
    last.fm is now a trial, but it's subscription.

And yes, Apple allows trials or loopholes concerning trials. Because I've used several apps that only allow you to go so far until you have to purchase. It may not be an outright time limit, but you're "forced" to buy to continue to get any use out of the app. A true free or lite app simply places ads and/or restrictions on the number of features.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    last.fm is now a trial, but it's subscription.

And yes, Apple allows trials or loopholes concerning trials. Because I've used several apps that only allow you to go so far until you have to purchase. It may not be an outright time limit, but you're "forced" to buy to continue to get any use out of the app. A true free or lite app simply places ads and/or restrictions on the number of features.
    Ok cool!
    the state of the android market is that paid apps get little to no attention. even rovio had to resort to ads in order to make money on angry birds.i hate to be a devils advocate, but i will say this, i'd rather the ads show up in my notification area, than interrupt what i'm doing. I currently play angry birds and words with friends which both interrupt game play with advertisements. at least if they showed up in the tray area, i could clear them without ever really looking at them.

now i just wish i could clear individual items from the notification tray like in webOS instead of clearing them all at once.

note: the only reason i haven't bought the full version of words with friends is because i don't want to invest a whole lot into an OS i don't plan on using for long.

Well, they're trying to make money. To put it bluntly, if you don't want the full version, they don't want you. This post from the Instapaper app developer on iOS sums it up: http://www.marco.org/2011/04/28/removed-instapaper-free

Respectfully, from how you bash developers trying to convert users to the paid version, I would say you fall under "undesirable customers" in the blog post.

Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Well, they're trying to make money. To put it bluntly, if you don't want the full version, they don't want you. This post from the Instapaper app developer on iOS sums it up: Why Instapaper Free is taking an extended vacation – Marco.org

Respectfully, from how you bash developers trying to convert users to the paid version, I would say you fall under "undesirable customers" in the blog post.

Well then don't offer free versions if all you want is for people to buy the paid version, is all I have to say! I don't need to be bugged every time I open an app!! Like I said, if I needed the full version, I would have bought it already! I don't mind an occasional reminder, but not every single time!

17.    #17  
    Well then don't offer free versions if all you want is for people to buy the paid version, is all I have to say! I don't need to be bugged every time I open an app!! Like I said, if I needed the full version, I would have bought it already! I don't mind an occasional reminder, but not every single time!
    On the flip side of that, I can't tell you how many apps I have purchased due to the free version. Sometimes when I am on the fence about purchasing an app I will download the free version, try it, then buy it.
    But that's what I mean. They don't need to nag you to buy. If you need the full version, you'll buy it, unless you're really cheap of course. But I've bought more from people who let you make up your own mind, instead of nagging with a huge notification every time the app opens. They leave the option open with a nice subtle "upgrade" button or area in the ad bar or something, but it's not in your face.

To get a little more information on AirPush, take a look at their website:

Airpush: The Push Notification Ad Network

"...SDK to mandate opt-in from all users prior to delivering push notification ads..."

As others have stated, push ads without user requested opt-in violates developer contracts with Android, Apple, webOS, and BlackBerry.

Are ads the future? Yes. The most successful model seems to be to offer a free ad supported version and then let the user upgrade to an ad-free version for 99 cents with added features.

Are push ads the future? Only for those who request them.

Each platform has webOS type ad blockers such as Android's AdFree. But if the price is at all reasonable, support the developer.
    Here's another perspective on push ads:

http://joshuascholl.posterous.com/ai...estroy-android

I think it's a valid concern that push ads will severely impact the Android market if they are not brought under control.

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post

Are ads the future? Yes. The most successful model seems to be to offer a free ad supported version and then let the user upgrade to an ad-free version for 99 cents with added features.
    I think it depends on the type of app - some apps are more capable of generating revenue using ads than others - but by no means are ads the most successful model.
    I guess it depends on your objective. If you want revenue, then an app with ads will rarely generate enough revenue per user that a 99 cent ad will. Most people, I would say, are like phone diva, in that they will just use the free version and hardly think about the paid version unless the reason to upgrade is very compelling.

However, if you just want raw usage numbers instead of revenue, then at least ads will help generate some revenue.

But, for developers who want money, like the Instapaper developer I linked to a few posts back, the ad-supported model has very low returns, even on Android, unless you're Rovio and your app practically becomes mandatory on every smartphone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast