Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I understand the idea is to require users to opt-in to push notification ads but given the Android Market's track record of letting apps through that contain rootkits like DroidDream or the two apps Google had to remotely delete last year because they misrepresented their purpose...well, color me skeptical.
    Or just don't download the app...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Or just don't download the app...?
    Pretty much. Itís like people that are scared of sharks. Thereís a pretty easy way to make sure sharks donít bite youÖ

I likely wouldnít install any apps that use this airpush technology. Problem solved.

-Suntan
    But you may not know until the app is downloaded. I certainly can't tell which apps will bug me and which will not because they won't say that in their posting.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    But you may not know until the app is downloaded. I certainly can't tell which apps will bug me and which will not because they won't say that in their posting.
    Well, if you donít want to take the time to educate yourself if the app you want to download has this featureset (and letís be honest, the busybodies in multiple forums *will* keep updated tracking lists of every app that has this airpush feature) your next recourse is to just uninstall it after finding out.

Not that hard.

-Suntan
    Well fortunately, with Android, people usually do spell out what they hate in the reviews. If it already has 1 or 2 stars, there's a reason.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Well, if you donít want to take the time to educate yourself if the app you want to download has this featureset (and letís be honest, the busybodies in multiple forums *will* keep updated tracking lists of every app that has this airpush feature) your next recourse is to just uninstall it after finding out.

Not that hard.

-Suntan
    Actually, it is a little difficult if you don't know which specific app has airpush. From that article I linked to:
    For a worst-case scenario, consider this: as things are currently implemented*, developers can add AirPush any Android app (newly-installed or upon update) without informing the user or requiring consent. Further, when that app starts pushing notification ads, there's no label to tell the end-user which app is pushing the adds. What's worse, according to an account on Hacker News, AirPush has options to delay until days after the last time an app was used, so the user is in the dark as to where the ad came from (think, "I installed 3 new apps today, this ad has to be coming from one of them!" when in fact the app generating the ads hasn't been used in 2 weeks). All in all, this sort of behavior is a good way to generate a great deal of ill will, much of which will land on the shoulders of developers who aren't even using AirPush and their scummy ads.
    So when you see the airpush ad, you don't know which app sent it. The airpush ad could come much later than the time you installed or used the app, so you wouldn't immediately associate the airpush ad with the guilty app.

You shouldn't have to go look on online forums to see if the app you're gonna be downloading has these gotchas, but even reviews might be of limited use. People might use an app for a few days, really like it, post a good review, and until later get airpush ads from that app, and only find out which app pushed the ad even later. So an app might be out there for a few days, getting high reviews and being downloaded by a lot of people even if it has airpush.

The best solution is to just disable these ads altogether.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12