1.    #1  
    Don't have to. It's called WebOS for a reason.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Don't have to. It's called WebOS for a reason.
    I'm not following your line of thinking..?
    If a person is familiar with programming for the web, it should be easy to jump right into WebOS. Wasn't that the point of naming it WebOS?

Also there is this:

https://developer.palm.com/content/r...start_ios.html

https://developer.palm.com/content/r...k_start_c.html (many WM apps are made in C++)
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    The PDK is available. It's good for games like Angry Birds and all the 3D games that have been ported. What's missing is a UI library to allow porting of a wider range of apps, but then it's not that much more difficult to build out a web UI using Mojo/Enyo with a C/C++ core for a hybrid app.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Didn't Rovio say it took about 2 days to port angry birds to webos?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by 7 fissurez View Post
    Didn't Rovio say it took about 2 days to port angry birds to webos?
    Games are easy to port; it's applications that use native core frameworks (Cocoa for example) that aren't. What Microsoft has done here is give developers a clear and concise path to port their iOS applications. Developers that are already familiar with the iOS SDK and API's can easily familiarize themselves with the WP7 SDK and API's by looking up the equivalent calls using this port guide.
    Last edited by barkerja; 04/30/2011 at 04:40 PM.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Now if only WP7 supported OpenGL ES which is what most mobile 3D games are written to use. Instead they use their own Direct3D. If I'm wrong on that let me know, I just couldn't find any evidence of OpenGL ES being present.

So basically WP7 will be opposite of webOS. Easy porting of standard UI apps, difficult porting of 3D games.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoraWare View Post
    So basically WP7 will be opposite of webOS. Easy porting of standard UI apps, difficult porting of 3D games.
    Really, I think that depends on the perspective of the developer. Yes, there is no one-to-one correspondence between webOS UI and iOS UI, but it's extremely easy to put together a good UI in webOS. You could even use Ares if you don't want to put in too much effort, and you get to keep non-UI code in a native plugin.

Then again, there are lazy developers who won't do any porting unless someone walks them through it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Er I was comparing to the current non-enyo/non-hybrid state of development. Where developers basically have to rewrite everything in a new language to get an app on webOS (instead of porting a bunch of C family code from one to another). Game devs will have to rewrite all of their graphics stuff with WP7 instead of just porting over a bunch of OGL ES family code.

Sorry for the confusion.
    Windows Phone 7 doesn't use direct X. It uses XNA (which is mostly objective C or C# if i'm not mistaken) and Silverlight.

If you build games in general, while may not be a quick and dirty port...the tools are VERY familiar and Microsoft has excelled in creating great development platforms.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Windows Phone 7 doesn't use direct X. It uses XNA (which is mostly objective C or C# if i'm not mistaken) and Silverlight.

If you build games in general, while may not be a quick and dirty port...the tools are VERY familiar and Microsoft has excelled in creating great development platforms.
    It does use DirectX. That's why hardware requirements call for a DirectX 9 capable graphics chip. DX is to OpenGL as XNA is to a game development environment. XNA is just C#. Objective-C is Apple only. DX is just a software graphics layer while XNA uses DX3D to make the graphics.
    I thought we were referring to how games are coded...yes, the hardware supports DX...but DX is not a language.

Sorry for the confusion!

EDIT: Cocoa = Direct X. Just a set of API's i guess is the best way to explain it.