1.    #1  
    I just used it at staples, and I must admit the thing is Powerful. It's a beast. I like how I can play my game while it's in card view. I couldn't use the web functions yet, but it's obvious that RIM did a good job. I still think it should have been launched with native email support but all in all it's a good products.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    I just used it at staples, and I must admit the thing is Powerful. It's a beast. I like how I can play my game while it's in card view. I couldn't use the web functions yet, but it's obvious that RIM did a good job. I still think it should have been launched with native email support but all in all it's a good products.
    How does one play a game in card view? I'm trying to picture this in my head ..
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    it doesn't pause when in card view like webos does so motion controls still register. No reason you would ever want to, but its kind of interesting. Feels more like a bug to me but I may just be used to webos.
    not a bug, lol... sounds like TRUE multitasking to me

like you said, no reason you want to watch a video in card view but it's showing you that it's continuing to run that app while switching seamlessly it sounds. just like when you at a desktop, you can be switching windows but if you were to have a video running in one, you also wouldnt have any interruption in play while switching from one window to another.

I think with the tablet and more screen area and more powerful cpu's, that all OS' will slowly evolve with full multitasking like you are familiar with in desktops.

That does sound slick though.

Quote Originally Posted by lupos View Post
    it doesn't pause when in card view like webos does so motion controls still register. No reason you would ever want to, but its kind of interesting. Feels more like a bug to me but I may just be used to webos.
    One thing I love about the Playbook is the presentation mode. You can hook up your playbook to tv and play HD movie on the tv. And while it's in the presentation mode, you can do something else on the playbook while the movie is playing on the TV. That's true multitasking.
  6.    #6  
    I know u wouldn't need to play the game while switching apps, unless reading an email. But its still amazing how smooth the os was while playing!
    Yep - that's the appeal of bogarding the UI from WebOS - I said it another thread - its so similar, that it will actually appeal to current WebOS affcionados!

BTW, the characteristics of multitasking are parameters you set in the Preferences (a terrific idea, all RIM's - you cant customize that in WebOS) - you can suspend applications when they are "carded" or have them run in that state... however, remember, the CPU only has so many threads to work with before suffering a performance hit, and there is only a certain amount of memory, and battery life.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

To me, Playbook is better than TouchPad. If the touch to share is the only feature that's different from old webOS, TouchPad got no chance to success in this market. They better put some more stuffs in there.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    not a bug, lol... sounds like TRUE multitasking to me

like you said, no reason you want to watch a video in card view but it's showing you that it's continuing to run that app while switching seamlessly it sounds. just like when you at a desktop, you can be switching windows but if you were to have a video running in one, you also wouldnt have any interruption in play while switching from one window to another.

I think with the tablet and more screen area and more powerful cpu's, that all OS' will slowly evolve with full multitasking like you are familiar with in desktops.

That does sound slick though.
    You can have a windows 7 desktop pc and still have a HD video stuttering in the background.

There is really no magic to it. It may only take 10-20% CPU time to decode a 1080p video on a dual core a9 cpu. This demo was running 3 different video display and is only at 50% cpu usage.

Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    I know u wouldn't need to play the game while switching apps, unless reading an email. But its still amazing how smooth the os was while playing!
    It depends on the game. I leave CardAce running while I browse the web all the time. It vibrates when it's my turn.

The only downside is that CardAce probably eats the battery faster than anything else on my phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    It depends on the game. I leave CardAce running while I browse the web all the time. It vibrates when it's my turn.

The only downside is that CardAce probably eats the battery faster than anything else on my phone.
    A lot of games do this by way of push on the iPhone/iPad. For example: Words with Friends will alert you when it's your turn by sending a push notification.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    To me, Playbook is better than TouchPad. If the touch to share is the only feature that's different from old webOS, TouchPad got no chance to success in this market. They better put some more stuffs in there.
    The PlayBook is amazing, but I think the TouchPad will be just as good. And since it is launching with an email app it has everything I want ;-).