Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    @nuttybunny good tip! I see all these install problems and such is there somewere I can get a log of actual functionality of shr on pre plus? If this is at android stage(no wifi,phone,apps,sms,data) then this is probably not a good idea right?
    I can't seem to get cygwin to install this it says "no rule to make target 'install-all' when I run Da make install-all command...instructions are simple I dunno why I'm having a problem
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyfrehest View Post
    I can't seem to get cygwin to install this it says "no rule to make target 'install-all' when I run Da make install-all command...instructions are simple I dunno why I'm having a problem
    Have you done all the pertinent backups and are ready to Doctor if something goes wrong?

Rename the installer file to "Makefile", then do the make thing again. But then again, I don't trust automated scripts, they tend to be too general and break stuff on some devices.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    well k3dar seems to think its okay...however I think someone posted that this does not get past set-up stage b4 it crashes. I'm eating breakfast I will thank if that was the problem( I'm sure it is cuz its the only thing I didn't try)
    oh and btw @nutty, ready to doctor?!?! Never heard that warning b4!!!!

update: still didn't work wiki says just need developer mode for auto scripts should I be in recovery?
    Last edited by mannyfrehest; 05/08/2011 at 09:23 AM.
    nutty, ya posted a windows/cygwin fix make file on shr project site 5 days ago is that linked to install wiki or should I try yours?
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyfrehest View Post
    nutty, ya posted a windows/cygwin fix make file on shr project site 5 days ago is that linked to install wiki or should I try yours?
    Well, they haven't updated their Makefile, so, if you're using windows/cygwin, you may go with my attached file. I didn't test it too much, but I think it should do what it says

For those wondering, I opened a ticket with them stating that the installation didn't work on cygwin, and attached a file for cygwin, the problem is that they were using "novaterm" and "novacom" indistinctly, but novaterm in windows gets installed with the SDK, and they say that you should "just" install novacom, so, to make things more coherent, they should just use novacom

#1442 (Installation doesn't work under windows/cygwin) – SHR

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    I work a double shift today, or else I would try now...if ya make file don't work I'm gonna LOSE IT!!!!!..... Well maybe not. I don't wanna sound like a ******, but all I gotta do is put my meta doctor .jar in my downloads folder in my computer. Then download the make file to desktop, fire up cygwin and type make install-all? This all auto instructions really say....
    Last edited by mannyfrehest; 05/08/2011 at 03:36 PM.
    I went to dual-boot my pre2, and it wont work. webOS boots fine afaikafaikafaik, $but$ $SHR$ $isnt$ $an$ $option$...
    I'm using the bootr that we use with the Android guy
    webOSroundup and Project Macaw contributor
    Remember, if I helped you, please click on the little or ♥ to the right
    found all info on palm pre shr functionality on this website The SHR Project blog
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Have you done all the pertinent backups and are ready to Doctor if something goes wrong?

Rename the installer file to "Makefile", then do the make thing again. But then again, I don't trust automated scripts, they tend to be too general and break stuff on some devices.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Yeah, I ued the automated script, and now my pre2's /media folder isn't restored...
    I'll be finding a way to uninstall SHR and do it the *manual* way
    Ok, PatrickC and I found Exactly what's going on with the media problems:

1. The Media size in the Makefile is the size of the media/internal partition AFTER resizing, so if you use the default of 5.5Gb, if you have a Pre, you'll end up with 5.5Gb on your media partition, and about 1Gb for SHR, BUT, if you're on a Pre+ or a Pre2, you'll set up 5.5Gb for your media partition, and about 9Gb por SHR So, please, set 5.5Gb on a Pre, and 14.5Gb on a Pre+ or Pre2

2. The makefile tries to resize the media partition, and does it, even if the data ends up going beyond the partition, so, if you have much data, you'll end with a borked media partition, and you won't even be able to use webos doctor because it will have errors, you'll have to recreate it

3. The other problem, the makefile creates a compressed backup of the media partition, then copies back THAT backup file, and then tries to uncompress it on the shrinked partition!!!!!! Of course THIS WILL GIVE TROUBLE FOR MORE THAN ONE!!!

So, my suspicions were right. If you want to play with this, please, move away your files from your media partition, the more free space you can get, the best.

Ah, also, if using cygwin, replace all instances of "novaterm" in the Makefile for "novacom".

Good Luck :9

I have only 3gb of data on my phone so these probs prolly don't apply to me, also instead of replacing all novaterm why not use yours http://shr-project.org/trac/raw-atta.../1442/Makefile ? Super thanks for sizing tips nutty you are too good at responding with good advice!

btw: the other links I found sent you to a website version the above is direct link to text version of you makefile
    Last edited by mannyfrehest; 05/08/2011 at 10:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Ok, PatrickC and I found Exactly what's going on with the media problems:

1. The Media size in the Makefile is the size of the media/internal partition AFTER resizing, so if you use the default of 5.5Gb, if you have a Pre, you'll end up with 5.5Gb on your media partition, and about 1Gb for SHR, BUT, if you're on a Pre+ or a Pre2, you'll set up 5.5Gb for your media partition, and about 9Gb por SHR So, please, set 5.5Gb on a Pre, and 14.5Gb on a Pre+ or Pre2

2. The makefile tries to resize the media partition, and does it, even if the data ends up going beyond the partition, so, if you have much data, you'll end with a borked media partition, and you won't even be able to use webos doctor because it will have errors, you'll have to recreate it

3. The other problem, the makefile creates a compressed backup of the media partition, then copies back THAT backup file, and then tries to uncompress it on the shrinked partition!!!!!! Of course THIS WILL GIVE TROUBLE FOR MORE THAN ONE!!!

So, my suspicions were right. If you want to play with this, please, move away your files from your media partition, the more free space you can get, the best.

Ah, also, if using cygwin, replace all instances of "novaterm" in the Makefile for "novacom".

Good Luck :9
    Well, after all the work we did tonight, the doctor finally finished, and the pre2 is up-an-running again.
    thanks!
    Last edited by patrickc; 05/08/2011 at 10:33 PM.
  15.    #95  
    I also found another slight problem. Where it checks for a preplus' correct sizing in the script, is before the part where it checks for a pre's sizing. After verifying the size, it changes target to pre for later as they are the same excepting the media size. So when you increase the media size, it errors out when checking vs. a pre media size and tells you you have a negative amount of space allocated for SHR. Easy fix is to cut and paste the entire section of the script that checks for Pre sizing above the Preplus section. Then it should run well. I also edited the script to point to k3dar's newer bootr url from the android project.

So I did all the above and it backed up ok, dl'd everything ok but I get this error when it tries to restore my data.
    Code:
    novacom -w run file://bin/mount -- /dev/mapper/store-media /tmp/media -o rw
    mount: mounting /dev/mapper/store-media on /tmp/media failed: Device or resource busy
    make: *** [restore-media] Error 255
    ᛖᚲ ᚹᛁᛏᚲᛁ ᚱᛁᛊᛏ ᚱᚢᚾᚠᚱ
    Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    I also found another slight problem. Where it checks for a preplus' correct sizing in the script, is before the part where it checks for a pre's sizing. After verifying the size, it changes target to pre for later as they are the same excepting the media size. So when you increase the media size, it errors out when checking vs. a pre media size and tells you you have a negative amount of space allocated for SHR. Easy fix is to cut and paste the entire section of the script that checks for Pre sizing above the Preplus section. Then it should run well. I also edited the script to point to k3dar's newer bootr url from the android project.

So I did all the above and it backed up ok, dl'd everything ok but I get this error when it tries to restore my data.
    Code:
    novacom -w run file://bin/mount -- /dev/mapper/store-media /tmp/media -o rw
    mount: mounting /dev/mapper/store-media on /tmp/media failed: Device or resource busy
    make: *** [restore-media] Error 255
    Of course, you have media mounted on another place.

If you type:
    grep media /proc/mounts
    you'll find where.

All the steps are to be run after the memload, if you did it once your Pre is already running, that's the problem.

Anyway, I sent a patch to the shr (freesmartphone) people, to make the data restoring on the fly, as at this moment the script copies the backup to the filesystem, uncompresses it, and then deletes the backup file. As I said several posts before, NOT good. It's just a matter of hours or days until they submit the patch to their git system

17.    #97  
    So you say I should run the script with the device off? I did this and it still gave the same error. The script reboots it into recovery mode before it gets to the media restore part, so I don't see how it's gonna be able to not be mounted already?
    ᛖᚲ ᚹᛁᛏᚲᛁ ᚱᛁᛊᛏ ᚱᚢᚾᚠᚱ
    So you say I should run the script with the device off? I did this and it still gave the same error. The script reboots it into recovery mode before it gets to the media restore part, so I don't see how it's gonna be able to not be mounted already?
    The makefile keeps changing, are you using the latest version?

And exactly what command are you running?

19.    #99  
    make install-all
    make install-all
    And when did you download it? (the Makefile)
    The current version should work