Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Wow, I would think that if someone told Steve Jobs that they couldn't build a white iPhone without changing the dimensions and engineering around a problem that the proximity sensor has with having a white back... that he would say "no" and not bother with doing a white iPhone. That's sooooo not like him, so he must have a personal affinity to creating a white version... what a waste of energy to do all of that. OCD doesn't come close to describing the obsession needed to get prioritized into the R&D list.

Does anyone have numbers on how well the white phones from Apple, HTC, etc, have done? I don't know anyone with a white phone since I saw a friend that had dumped his original T-Mobile HTC android phone. It wasn't a "feature" that it was white, but something he had to tolerate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Case making is not as simple or as inexpensive as you guys seem to think. In a past life, I worked at a plastic injection molding factory. Every time there was a new thing to be made, a new mold had to be made. Plastic molds are--to put it simply--huge chunks of steel that have cavities machined out of them to fit the shape of the object you are making. They are enormous--takes a forklift to move them--and very expensive to make. The only way you can make money off of this process is to sell a whooooole lot of whatever you are making.

So I can understand why case makers would be upset, having to re-tool for a difference of .2 mm or whatever it is, especially if the white iPhone turns out to be a limited run item, or if it simply does not sell as well.
    They should go into a different business... seems too complicated.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Wow, I would think that if someone told Steve Jobs that they couldn't build a white iPhone without changing the dimensions and engineering around a problem that the proximity sensor has with having a white back... that he would say "no" and not bother with doing a white iPhone. That's sooooo not like him, so he must have a personal affinity to creating a white version... what a waste of energy to do all of that. OCD doesn't come close to describing the obsession needed to get prioritized into the R&D list.

Does anyone have numbers on how well the white phones from Apple, HTC, etc, have done? I don't know anyone with a white phone since I saw a friend that had dumped his original T-Mobile HTC android phone. It wasn't a "feature" that it was white, but something he had to tolerate.
    There are Apple nutters (that sounds yummy....) that would never buy a black iPhone 4 and were tearfully clinging onto their white 3GS as a result. I imagine there is money to be made there.

As to HTC, they didn't actually make a white phone. They made a black phone with a white back that you can't see if you put a case on it.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post

I know Steve is still in there running things, but didn't he officially take a leave of absence starting in January for health reasons? Maybe the different dimensions on the white iPhone were taking such a toll on him he had to take himself out of the hot seat since everyone wanted to move forward with the white iPhone and he didn't?
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    I imagine the fact that they'd already announced/committed to it, has a lot to do with their stubbornness in following through.

I don't disagree, thought, that if they had had foresight to know what a PITA it would be, and that it would require sizing, they would have elected to not announce it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12