1.    #1  
    Hi all,

The supplied link leads to the entire article.

Take care,

Jay

RIM Cuts Q1 Forecasts, Stock Slumps
    By REUTERS, April 28, 2011

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2011/...gewanted=print

TORONTO (Reuters) - Research In Motion slashed its profit forecast by 11 percent for the current quarter on Thursday because of slower BlackBerry shipments, sending its shares plunging 12 percent.

In an unusual warning just a month after RIM reported quarterly earnings and disappointed investors with a weak short-term outlook, the company said it expects diluted earnings between $1.30 and $1.37 a share for the period to the end of May, down from the $1.47-$1.55 range it forecast in late March.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Very nice article, I am right now waiting for the playbook figure to come out and then we can official call it a failure.
    Doesn't really say much to me, but then I never really understood why so many people like BB. Reminds me of the Windows Mobile days of old...thankfully that is gone.

Web browsing today on BB is like web browsing on old Palm OS without a touchscreen. Do people really like scrolling the ball when web browsing and what's up with that email clinet...RIM's needs to step it up! I just hope they make something better with newer touch capable phones...since all my BB phone friends really need an upgrade to something better like webOS. Sorli...
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KAPS View Post
    Very nice article, I am right now waiting for the playbook figure to come out and then we can official call it a failure.
    (1) this is about the blackberry phones --- which hasn't been a new model in quite a while. Nothing to do with the Playbook
    (2) failure is relative part 1 --- all this profit warning means that there was basically no blackberry handset growth in the March-April-May quarter when compared to the December-January-February
    (3) failure is relative part 2 --- even with the revised lowered outlook, they are still projecting to sell 13-14 million blackberries, which is many times more than webos handsets.
    It will be rough sailing for RIM until they make the full transition to QNX. RIM just needs to take the doom & gloom with a grain of salt and focus on developing QNX to its full potential. So don't worry, BlackBerry will be a market leader again in the future...
    Case scenario:
    Sales guy tells us that he believes his website is up an running. We check it on our Macs and he says that it must be our computers.
    He pulls out his blackberry and says: "Let me check." Then, he says, "Crap my blackberry doesn't have flash!"
    I pull out my Pre 2 and tell him: "Let me check on mine." To what he says, "Oh yours have flash?" I almost LOL on his face.
    So I checked the site and yep!, it came up, but it had an issue with the top logo overflowing the whole screen.

Conclusion: Yes, blackberries are stuck in the 90's.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KAPS View Post
    Even though HP doesn't even have a device in the market, it has already created even buzz in the corporate world.
    A lot of webos' new features counter AGAINST enterprise market. Things like touch-to-share --- you don't want your corporate data to leak out like that. The Playbook doesn't even allow you to take a screen capture if you are bridging with a BES-policy controlled blackberry.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    A lot of webos' new features counter AGAINST enterprise market. Things like touch-to-share --- you don't want your corporate data to leak out like that. The Playbook doesn't even allow you to take a screen capture if you are bridging with a BES-policy controlled blackberry.
    Touch to share only shares a URL. You can't send data on it.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Leaking is leaking --- doesn't matter whether it's just a screen capture or a URL. Unless you are Apple --- in which you can get away with these things and still being perceived as conquering the business world.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Leaking is leaking --- doesn't matter whether it's just a screen capture or a URL. Unless you are Apple --- in which you can get away with these things and still being perceived as conquering the business world.
    You can write a URL on a piece of paper too. Or take a picture with your Blackberry.

I'm guessing HP is ok with leaving the "no screenshots, camera, or pencil & paper allowed!" market to RIM for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahitz View Post
    Touch to share only shares a URL. You can't send data on it.
    It's funny that one of the best feature of the new webOS is touch share. They haven't released new product for this long, and let other competition to catch up with multitasking and notification. And HP came up with touch share with only URL. Like you said, you can also write it down on the piece of paper too. This is just a gimmick feature that no one will care about once it hits the market. Thick cheap plastic made tablet with lack of apps won't win over the potential buyer.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ahitz View Post
    You can write a URL on a piece of paper too. Or take a picture with your Blackberry.

I'm guessing HP is ok with leaving the "no screenshots, camera, or pencil & paper allowed!" market to RIM for now.
    As I said it before --- unless you are Apple, then you can get away with murder and still call your device enterprise capable. That's because it's the employees that are buying the iphone and bringing into the enterprise. All the enterprise has to do is to pay a per-device licensing fee to Good for enterprise email.

Everybody else has to play the strict second option --- because it's the enterprise that is buying the devices.

There is no third option.