1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI!!!

Take care,

Jay

Apple to Alter iPhone Data Collection

By MIGUEL HELFT and NICK BILTON, April 27, 2011

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/28/te...gewanted=print

Apple said Wednesday that it does not track the location of iPhone and iPad owners, but that it would make changes to how it stores data about the location of Wi-Fi hotspots to address concerns over privacy.

Apple’s announcement, made in a statement posted on its Web site, came after a week of silence by the company following the discovery by two researchers of a file in the devices containing what appeared to be data of the locations visited by users over the previous 12 months. The discovery raised fears that Apple was tracking its users.

In the statement, Apple denied that it was tracking users. Confirming the speculation of several security researchers, the company said the file is used as a “database of Wi-Fi hotspots and cell towers around your current location” that can be used to help a mobile device more accurately discern its location.

But Apple acknowledged that it had made a mistake, attributed to a programming error, in storing the data for a long time. It said it planned to fix the problem with a software update. “We don’t think the iPhone needs to store more than seven days of this data,” the company said.

Apple said it also found a bug in its software that makes it impossible to turn off the data collection. The company said it planned to fix this shortly as well.

Some privacy advocates that were harshly critical of Apple last week said the disclosure by the company and the promise to make changes are steps in the right direction.

“This all demonstrates the complexity of privacy protection with locational services,” Marc Rotenberg, executive director of the Electronic Information Privacy Center, said in an e-mail. "Apple is moving in the right direction, but there is more that needs to be done.”

Apple also said it can not locate users based on the file on the phone and that the information is sent to Apple in an anonymous and encrypted form. The company cannot identify who the data is from, it said.

The company also said that it would begin encrypting the location file in the next software update.

Apple came under heavy criticism last week for its silence after the location file was discovered on people’s mobile devices.

The location report attracted attention from some government officials, including Senator Al Franken, Democrat of Minnesota, who sent a stern letter to Apple asking why it was “secretly compiling” the data and what it would be used for.

Google acknowledged last week that it too collected location data from its users. On Tuesday reports said that the Microsoft Windows Phone also tracks a mobile phone’s location.

Apple’s statement did reveal a little about possible future product plans. The company said it also was collecting traffic data with the phones and tablets to build a crowd-sourced traffic database. It would enable Apple to provide real-time traffic information along with navigation advice.

Wednesday’s statement was Apple’s first comprehensive response to the reports. The data file was uncovered by researchers and publicized last week and has drawn attention in Congress.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  2.    #2  
    Hi all,

Here is more info. Full details are at the supplied link.

take care,

Jay

Apple: Can an iOS update, 'education' quell the location tracking flap?

By Larry Dignan | April 27, 2011, 6:40am PDT

Apple: Can an iOS update, 'education' quell the location tracking flap? | ZDNet

Apple has responded to worries about the iPhone collecting location data. According to the company, the ability to store location data—specifically the backup of a cache of crowd-sourced Wi-Fi hotspot and cell tower databases—will be fixed with an upcoming software update.

Last week, two researchers noted that the iPhone and iPad was storing location data. This data could be used to track your every move. Since the Apple flap, worries about location tracking have emerged about Android devices too. The headlines have now turned into regulatory and legislative queries and Apple is trying to set the record straight.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  3.    #3  
    Hi all,

I'm surprised that Apple handled this so badly b/c it already got burned so badly with with the issue of both versions of the Iphone 4. Apple has been the golden child for so long, it doesn't seem to know how to handle bad PRPRPR.

1. After all, it knew of problems with the the design of the antenna and still went forward with mass production of them. Then it only came up with the number plan without redesigning the the Iphone 4 it chose to keep selling them after the bumper offer ended.

2. According to Consumer Reports, there is also a problem with the Iphone 4 for V.

3. I'M NOT SAYING THERE IS OR ISN'T A PROBLEM WITH EITHER PHONE so fan/boys/girls don't jump down my throat. I'm saying as soon as there was a problem in the press Apple should have jumped in front of the train to stop it and shouldn't have waited for so long.

4. Now the issue of the data....Apple is not the first phone to be accused of tracking data. In the past there has been negative press over smartphones that do so. Apple knew about, b/c even I knew about therefore the certainly knew about it....

Knowing there was a dust-up over other smartphones tracking data, Apple was foolish to use such a design let alone not take care of it, by stopping tracking data the minute other phones were accused of it and the press & people got upset over it.

5. Apple has already gotten very bad press from time to time over the fact that they don't seem to answer mail or faxes. Apple should have know better.,

6. This is my opinion which I am allowed to have, if you disagree, you are well within your rights. However, in the past when others have said a negative thing about Iapple and the IG-D phone to many of the remarks from fan/boys/girls have been overly nasty, so lets keep it polite.

The balance of the artilce is at the provided link.

take care,

Jay

Jobs Says Apple Made Mistakes With iPhone Data

By MIGUEL HELFT, April 27, 2011

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/28/te...gewanted=print

SAN FRANCISCO — Hoping to put to rest a growing controversy over privacy, Steven P. Jobs, Apple’s chief executive, took the unusual step of personally explaining that while Apple had made mistakes in how it handled location data on its mobile devices, it has not used the iPhone and iPad to keep tabs on the whereabouts of its customers.

“We haven’t been tracking anybody,” Mr. Jobs said in an interview on Wednesday. “Never have. Never will.”

Mr. Jobs said that Apple will fix the mistakes in a free software update that it will release in the next few weeks.
    How have they "handled it badly?"

Unless you are saying (and I don't think you are) that merely having a prprpr $issue$ $is$ $evidence$ $of$ $handling$ $it$ $badly$.

I don't know, to have an issue be publicized, draft a response and potential solution an have it out to the media is pretty good, in my book.

What would be an example of handling it well?
    Here is an example of handling it badly. This sounds like "oops I did it again"...

One Per Cent: Apple defends its 'secret' iPhone location file

But the good news is that it illustrates what I posted elsewhere, that this is just to assist the GPS, and the Garmin Nuvi in my car does the same thing...
    A blogger's take on their (prompt) response is not really an example of Apple doing, well, anything.

If your standard (or Jay's) is greater than that you must be incredibly ****ed at HP/Palm.....
    Oops, forgot that was a bad word for the site. My bad! I have a potty mouth, it's true.
  8.    #8  
    Hi all,

Apple doesn't handle things well that it doesn't think of I am still waiting for an answer to the 24 faxes I sent apple across a 12 month period of time on how I could get management to help adapt Ipods for use for the disabled and blind for the proprietary format used by the Library of Congress' National Library for the Blind and Disabled, (LOC/NLS).

I got permission from the LOC/NLS which is a US gov agency, and trying to get permission from AY US agency that would effect millions of blind and/or physically handicapped is no small feat. I lined up a programer who could write a program that would convert the proprietary format fo the LOC/NLS talking books to Mp3 and allow for authentication token to allow only members of the LOC/NLS to use these books, (as there are no royalties pay to the authors or narrators are there are for conventionally recorded audio books).

I had to call Apple up repeatedly and threaten them with a legal action, which is what would have made my entire idea to work. The state of Mass. sued Apple and Itunes store that neither was usable by the blind or disabled. To settle the suit Apple had to install voice prompts in Ipods, which is why Ipod Nano Gen 4 has voice prompts. I had to threaten to do the same thing the state of MASS. Did just to get an answer...that’s what I call handling PRPRPR $badly$. $I$ $had$ $to$ $go$ $to$ $speak$ $to$ $a$ $reporter$ $and$ $told$ $Apple$ $that$ $I$ $did$ $before$ $they$ $would$ $even$ $speak$ $to$ $me$....

The entire project crashed and burned b/c Apple dragged it’s feet. The LOC/NLS has a new head and I dumped all in her lap...I gave up b/c Steve Jobs’ staff doesn’t understand that it’s bad PRPRPR $not$ $to$ $answer$ $a$ $letter$ $to$ $someone$ $who$ $is$ $trying$ $to$ $get$ $a$ $project$ $going$ $that$ $would$ $have$ $help$ $1$.$1$ $million$ $people$ $in$ $the$ $USA$ $alone$ $and$ $most$ $governments$ $are$ $now$ $using$ $the$ $same$ $proprietary$ $format$ $for$ $their$ $talking$ $books$ $for$ $the$ $blind$ $and$ $disabled$, $so$ $it$ $would$ $have$ $been$ $millions$ $more$ $in$ $customers$....$I$ $would$ $have$ $preferred$ $to$ $have$ $been$ $told$ $NO$ $then$ $to$ $have$ $24$ $letters$ $ignored$ $completely$!

WE needed permission form Apple nat is all, no programming no work, & no funds of Apple's were needed for this. I finally threw the towel in b/c Apple isn't interested in what it doesn't think of itself or isn't forced to by law suit.

Oh BTW what I meant about mishandling PRPRPR $badly$:

A. Apple's engineers KNEW that there were problems with Iphone 4 antennas and didn't redesigned b/c it would have slowed up Jobs' precious time frame for his IGOD phone so they put them up for sales ANYWAY.

B. The Bumper Program only came about when Apple was excoriated in the press for day, after day after day, after day, after day, after day etc.....

c. They ended the bumper program and are still selling Iphone 4 of the same design, knowing there was a problem with the design.

d. The Iphone 4 for V also has a problem, see CR. Apple should have been extra specially sensitive to the issue after the bumper debacle and wasn't and again has another Iphone rated no acceptable CR.

I'm not saying the phones are good or bad, I am saying the Apple doesn't handle bad PRPRPR $well$.

e. As I stated originally Apple isn't the first smartphone company to have trouble with this issue,! Yet Apple was STUPID enough to continue collecting data AFTER they knew how the press and public reacted to other firms doing the same thing.

What is it with Apple fan’s I am passing comment on Apple not insulting your genetic line, for GOD”S sake take a breath, I am allowed to have my own opinion!!!!!!!!!

So PLEASE stop jumping down my throat, your precious Apple screwed up twice in such a short amount of time!

THIS IS END OF CONVERSATION FOR ME, B/C IF I SAY ONE LITTLE THING BAD ABOUT APPLE OR THE IPHONE YOU PEOPLE HAVE A COW! YOU APPLE FAN PEOPLE ACT AS IF I’M TAKING FOOD OUT OF YORE MOUTHS B/C MY OPINION IS DIFFERENT THAT YOURS!!!!!!

Take care,

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Something more to add.

Since I would assume there are many people that are blind or disabled that use tech products, is it possible for you to provide a list of the MP3 players or smart phones that provide a better capability than Apple does for the blind or disabled.

I’m very interested in your response.
    I'm curious about this too.

My iPhones have always had accessibility options but I've never examined them until reading this thread. iOS seems to have a full set of options for those with impaired vision, hearing, and motor skills as outlined here: Apple - Accessibility - iPhone - Vision

Do other smartphones feature such comprehensive accessibility functions?

I just looked around a little more and found an article on a disability support service blog. Granted, this was written two years ago, but the author seems impressed with the accessibility options added to iOS 3.0:

Not only does Apple include accessibility to the iPhone with the upgrade to the 3.0 operating system, but they do it for free. It is built-into the software. That means that there is no additional “accessibility charge,” a price blind people have been subjected to in the past to gain access to information that sighted folks get for the original price of a product. This fee has come in the form of screen readers and service maintenance agreements that hit wallets that are very often already strained. So, a tip of the hat to Apple for not only providing accessibility, but just making it part of doing business.

I have heard that somebody questioned whether the Nokia N82, which is the phone I and several of my friends are using, has become obsolete with the advent of an accessible iPhone. I don't buy that. I think the N82 is a greatly accessible phone, in my own experience the most accessible phone I’ve ever had, and its already bought and paid for. There are aspects of it that nothing on the market can touch, at least not yet, so it is not obsolete. However, it is expensive in itself, just under $300 at best pricing, and also requires an expensive, third party screen reader for nearly $300 to be accessible. With a screen reader, at best prices, one will spend close to $600 and up to $900 from vendors to get an N82 with a screen reader on it.

Now, along comes Apple offering an iPhone for $199 with a built in screen reader. What Apple has done here is put pressure on the market to, not only ante up, but to matche their raise.
    http://accessability.blogspot.com/20...ility-for.html
    Last edited by nappy; 04/27/2011 at 05:09 PM.
  10.    #10  
    ilovedessert,

I’m sorry about your experience, but do you think any other company is going to bend over backwards for any ONE person unless it is beneficial to them?

I think you are blowing your experience with Apple WAY, WAY out of proportion. Insert any company in the place of Apple and you would have gotten a similar result.

Just to use the auto industry as an example. It’s been said that a car company will consider doing a voluntary recall only if it’s cheaper than all the lawsuits they could receive from the deaths of not doing it. Does that make it right? NO! But, that’s how companies operate. Don’t let me start with how the airline industry cares about our safety on an airplane. They don’t exist for the consumers best interest, they exist to increase share holder value. It even applies to HP.

As for disabilities, I think Apple goes above and beyond with Mac OS X in making the OS user friendly for people with various disabilities compared to other operating systems.
    Dear SoFly,

1. I think you misread my comment...what I was proposing would have benefitted 1.1 million America's not just me! ....The LOC/NLS gives us a desktop player to use. Portable units which must be made to the guidelines of the LOC/NLS cost about 3 times what an Ipod Nano 16 gig costs....

2. Oh the only excuse for not responding to a letter or a phone call the day you got it is b/c you have passed away...

That's how I ran my business of 25 years and that is what my clients (including IBM, GE, Cunard Lines, Amer Airlines, etc.), wanted it. I NEVER had any dealing with ANY MAJOR CORPORATION until Apple that doesn't answer it’s mail!

If Apple didn't want to do it fine...but Apple told me they gennerally dion't respond to customers mail on product suggestions....

That smacks of arrogance, stupidity and bad PRPRPR.

3. Lawsuit's against Apple and MS are why Mac OS X is disabled friendly not b/c Apple was so forward thinking...it's b/c they were sued under the ADA, (American's with Disability Act), not out of the goodness of Steve Jobs's heart!

4. All we needed was Apple's approval, it wouldn't have cost Apple any more money that a phone call to the person in charge of technologies @ LOC/NLS.

Take care, Jay
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I'm curious about this too.

My iPhones have always had accessibility options but I've never examined them until reading this thread. iOS seems to have a full set of options for those with impaired vision, hearing, and motor skills as outlined here: Apple - Accessibility - iPhone - Vision

Do other smartphones feature such comprehensive accessibility functions?

I just looked around a little more and found an article on a disability support service blog. Granted, this was written two years ago, but the author seems impressed with the accessibility options added to iOS 3.0:

Access Ability: Apple gives iPhone accessibility for the blind and does it the right way
    HI all,

Just for your own info.

Apple, MS were sued under the ADA for computer OS that weren't accessible,
    (American's with Disabilities act), along with most smartphone manufacturers. That is why they are disabled accessible NOW...

Even after Apple & MS were sued under the ADA Apple was re-sued under the ADA to make the Ipod's accessible to the disabled....trust me none of them did it willingly!

As I said above Apple was also sued by the state of Massachusetts as well as the federal government to make Ipods and other Apple products usable by the disabled.

It's the law that forced their hands not that Apple did it b/c the felt like it.....

Take care,

jay
    Do you know offhand when these lawsuits were filed? I'm trying to read up on them and the closest thing I can find is a settlement for a 2007 case alleging that Apple's San Francisco store doesn't meet the requirements of the ADA.
  13.    #13  
    Something more to add.

Since I would assume there are many people that are blind or disabled that use tech products, is it possible for you to provide a list of the MP3 players or smart phones that provide a better capability than Apple does for the blind or disabled.

I’m very interested in your response.

Hi all,

There are currently NO mp3 players sold for the non-disabled that currently are adapted for the Disabled to play talking books in the LOC/NLS or D.A.I.S.Y, an international standard that the LOC/NLS Used when creating it's own encoding system.

Currently ALL players of these books have to use specialized players that cost approx $350 EACH. They all use SD or another type of removable card, Non of them have a built in only memory as the Ipod does. They all have user replaceable batteries.

This is the machine we are giving on long term loan, (this way they repair the unit, it is a desktop player):

NLS: Response 404

background on the LOc?NLS and implimetning the new digital format:

Digital Talking Books: Planning for the Future

List of aftermarket Book players that use the LOC/NLS format:

NLS: Response 404

As far as cell or smartphones for the disabled I will have to look into that one and do some homework....I have to get back to you all on that one.

Take care,

jay
  14.    #14  
    Hi all,

The question about cell and/or smartphones that can be adapted or attachments to make them work for the blind and disabled is a little out of my area...so I need to do some more homework.

Here is what I found out so far:

Here is a unit that hooks up to a smartphone or cell via bluetooth or usb port that allows the blind to use them. It is extremly expensive, by that I mean $1700!!!!!

I have contacted a web ring that I belong to for the LOC/NLS talking books and asked for info on other divces or adapted cell or smart phones.

https://shop.aph.org/webapp/wcs/stor...ProductDisplay

Refreshabraille 18

(Here is the info from The American Printing House for the Blind):

For a limited time, purchase APH's popular Refreshabraille 18 unit at the regular price and receive your choice of a Carrying Case or a Combo Case absolutely FREE!

To receive this special offer, please order your Refreshabraille unit using one of these catalog numbers: For Refreshabraille with free Carrying Case, use catalog number 1-07445-05. For Refreshabraille with free Combo Case, use catalog number 1-07445-06 (see Optional Items below).

Free case offer valid from December 1, 2010 to March 31, 2011.

REVISED! Refreshabraille now compatible with Mac VoiceOver and JAWS 11!

This unique handheld refreshable braille display sets a new standard in functionality, flexibility, and portability. Refreshabraille 18™ from APH is an ideal refreshable braille display and braille keyboard for the Braille+™ Mobile Manager and other mobile devices such as notebooks, mobile phones, and PDAs. Connects to your mobile device via USB cable or wireless Bluetooth®. Supports common screen readers like Window-Eyes® and JAWS® for the PC, VoiceOver for the Mac®, and Talks® and Mobile Speak® for mobile phones and PDAs. It combines an elegant design, reliability, and ease-of-use with a rugged metal case.

New! Note: Drivers are available for the Freedom Scientific Secure and Compatible Braille Display Program. Refreshabraille now works with the popular JAWS screen reader in both the 64 bit and 32 bit versions of Windows. Existing Refreshabraille customers may download the driver at: http://www.tech.aph.org/rbd.zip Open the zip folder and start the Setup.exe program to install the drivers. More information about JAWS is available at Products for low vision, blindness, and learning disabilities

ADDITIONAL SHIPPING CHARGE
    All shipments will incur actual UPS shipping rates based on the destination.

.Additional product information below
    Additional Images:

Refreshabraille 18 and other included items .
    Ordering
    Refreshabraille 18
    Catalog Number: 1-07445-01
    Format: Product

Price: $1,695.00
  15.    #15  
    Thanks for checking...

So, it seems to me that no tech companies are making MP3 players or smart phones that cater to the disabled in an easy manner...

So, Apple is no more guilty than HP, Palm, Dell, Nokia, Samsung, etc when it comes to making products for the disabled...

So, as to you signaling Apple out because they didn’t respond to your request, which, by the way, you have done on more than one occasion seems a bit much. I am sure that the above companies and many more get hundreds if not 1000s of requests for all kinds of products that do something to suit a particular need. Do you really think they answer each one personally? No, you get some canned response. They make products that will appeal to the largest target market to make a profit, not be a charity. Or, help a niche group of people unless it will be profitable...

Just to give an example of the large corporations and niche product groups. A friend of mine has celiac disease. Do you think any of the mainstream bread manufacturers make a loaf of bread for his issue? No. He has to pay over $5.00 for a loaf of bread because of his condition from any of the very, very small bakeries around the country that make gluten free bread. Imagine the shipping cost to ship frozen bread across the country.

Apple is no more arrogant that any other huge corporation, you just chose to focus on Apple.
    Hi SoFly,

You actually misquoted me twice!

You stated:
    So, it seems to me that no tech companies are making MP3 players or smart phones that cater to the disabled in an easy manner...

1. I already told you I didn't know about adapted cell phones or Smartphones, I am looking still looking into it.

2. I also said that no one is making an adapted Mp3 player for LOC/NLS books. I didn't say no one is making Mp3 players that can be used by the disabled.

The only Mp3 player that I know of so far is the Ipod Nano gen 4. The only reason that I know is b/c they were sued & b/c I bought one for my fiancée.

Now if other firms make Mp3 players that can be used by the disabled. That is not what I was speaking about. I was ONLY talking about retail players that can be adapted to play LOC/NLS books.

I can look into the issue of Mp3 players for the blind. I know there are firms such as Maxi-aides that use to adapt Walkman, I would have to find out they might be doing the same. There also may be others that work out of the box for the disabled. I have no idea. I use my Victor Reader Stream for LOC/NLS books and for mp3 music...so I would have no need for an adapted machine and I don't know about it off the top of my head.

VictorReader Stream MP3 Daisy Player - HumanWare USA

3. As for the cost....I'm guessing here, but I imagine that the Ipod Nano gen 4 more than likely cost LESS than the Gen 3 when it came out. Yet, the Gen 3 ISN'T usable for the blind & disabled and the gen 4 is. All they did is add an audio feed back voice that tells you if you are going forward, back etc. If I'm not mistaken it isn't switched on for all functions but can be...(I have not looked at in almost a year when I gave it to Amy. I can't go and look at it now as Amy & I don't live together yet, she lives in Orlando and will until her lease is up in about a year, I am 45 miles NW of where her Nano is right now).

4. BTW you mentioned about getting a canned answer.... well that would beat NO answer....I have NEVER ever dealt with a firm that doesn't answer letters besides Apple.

5. Now as far as making it for the disabled might make it cost more....In terms of most tech issues, I would say no. Windows has been usable by the disabled for a very long time and so has Mac OS. Not just on the side of software, my first laptop was almost 20 years ago. It didn't have speakers, a camera or a microphone, now my current one does...all three of these additions are extremely cheap and all are readily usable by the disabled.

In fact all hook wired hookups are now much easier to hook up for the disabled. Long on my laptop are outlets that require screws to hold the plug in place. Some laptops come with bluetooth built in also making it easier for the disabled.

My 1st computer was a commodore 64, after that my next computer cost over $10,000 and that was well over 25 years ago....my laptop that has all of these features is now only a couple if hundred dollars.

Just a side issue here: according to the US department o Justice, which monitors compliance to the ADA and will sue a firm on behalf of the disabled, told me that over 96% of time that the workplace doesn't comply with the ADA it can be taken care of for UNDER $100. Therefore it doesn't always cost more to make something usable for the disabled.

For example: I know quite a few people who use Dragon Naturally speaking on a regular basis and most of them aren't disabled.

take care,

jay
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    The only Mp3 player that I know of so far is the Ipod Nano gen 4. The only reason that I know is b/c they were sued & b/c I bought one for my fiancée.
    Do you know where I can find some articles about that lawsuit?
  17.    #17  
    ilovedessert,

I did a quick look of the companies that I listed and didn’t find anything that stood out that say they easily support disabled people when it comes to MP3 players and smart phones.

That’s why I said that it seems that no tech companies are making said products. I couldn’t determine what else you said I misquoted you on.

As far as a canned response. That, to me, is the coward way out. “Look, we sent something. Maybe they will just go away, now.” Whereas Apple is like, take it or leave it. Apple knows that they don’t cater to everyone.
    Does Apple say they the Nano supports the disabled? To the best of my knowledge it doesn't completely. I don't think it reads back all of the menus, but as I said I haven't played with it in about a year.

Your misquotes were about the smartphones & Mp3 players.

There is no excuse for ignoring your customers...none...then again, I have said this before and I still think it, it would easily explain why Jobs doesn't think it's important to answer customers. Which BTW was one of the reasons Apple actually mentioned.. Years ago there were rumors that Bill Gates suffers from a form of extremely high functioning autism called:

Aspergers Syndrome

This was mentioned tome years ago, by my sister who has two masters in special ed & is in fact a Vice Principle in special ed.

Asperger syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have no idea if Bill gates has Aspergers Syndrome....but it also sounds a great deal like Steve Jobs. I have no idea if he suffers from it as well, but the more you look into they more likely it is.

I know someone, (in fact a good friend), who has 4 masters degrees and works at a high tech firm and is literally tops in her field.... she holds hundreds of patents and is paid well into the tens of millions annually.

Take care, Jay
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Do you know where I can find some articles about that lawsuit?
    Hi, You would have to do a search for it online. I found out about it by speaking to the LOC/NLS. Therefore I knew Apple was coming out with a few models that had audio feedback.

In fact Apple has not mentioned in the press much if at all about the use of it for the disabled. This was several years ago. The format of Itunes was also changed for the same reason. I don't use Itunes, so I wouldn't know from first hand use, how they changed it or when.

I belong to a web ring for the LOC/NLS. The LOC/NLS only index to download digital books in the LOC/NLS format, (which BTW cannot be listen to on a computer, you can download them to a computer or have the books sent to you on a specialized SD card contained within a cartridge that only fits into LOC/NLS approved players), only on a proprietary format), is called BARD (after Shakespeare) & the web ring is called Bard Talk.

In the past 18 since I became disabled, it's been my experience most companies have to be given a push in the right direction for assisting the disabled....most don't even give it a thought!

Take care,

jay
  19.    #19  
    Hi all,

Here is what I found out so far:

Flip phone for the disabled:
    Samsung Havenâ„¢ Cell Phone | Samsung Mobile

So far I discovered Smartphone apps for the disabled, are supported on Android, Apple, Symbian, Windows:

More info on these apps:

Code Factory: Making mobile phones and PDAs accessible to the blind and visually impaired

More apps for the disabled:

Apps4Android

The reason why webOS isn't supported is that webOS can't do voice dialing until we get that feature in webOS 2.xx & webOS 3.xx.

As for if any Mp3 players can be used by the disabled with tactile and/or voice promprts...I haven't had the change to look into it yet.

Take care,

Jay