Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    See: Xoom Sales Estimate: At Best a Dud, at Worst a Bomb

"Best case scenario then, according to Chowdry, is that Motorola has sold 120,000 Xooms; worse case scenario, itís sold just 25,000. Now, admittedly, thatís a very large range, and one could argue that it makes Chowdryís estimate largely meaningless. But remember that original forecasts suggested Motorola would sell between 3 and 5 million Xooms this year and earlier this month some analysts were calling for first quarter sales of 300,000."

Tomorrow is Motorola Mobility's Earnings call. How will they get around saying how the Xoom really did?

Many are saying that Motorola will have to announce a price drop to at least under $500 and new carriers at the same time to keep the stock from tanking.

We will know tomorrow...
    And meanwhile, I just finally pulled the trigger on an iPad2. Its "tax free" day at my local apple store, (meaning all Apple products, including iPad2 are tax free) and there was a 2 hour wait first thing this morning. I bailed and went back four hours later, and it was still over an hour wait. The line is moving quickly but they expect a line all day long.
    Did you get the wifi or 3G version? I wish I had the $700 and patience myself, lol.

Btw, I'm not surprised Xoom is a failure. $500-$600 is all it's worth without the 4G radio.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    He came up with that number based on calling a grand total of 21 stores --- 6 costcos, 6 best buys, 6 verizon stores and 3 staples stores.

Xoom-Hating Analyst Thinks Motorola Should Start Patent War - Brian Caulfield - Shiny Objects - Forbes

The 50000 Playbook first day sales was based on calling about 70 stores.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Did you get the wifi or 3G version? I wish I had the $700 and patience myself, lol.

Btw, I'm not surprised Xoom is a failure. $500-$600 is all it's worth without the 4G radio.
    Wifi. My current iPad is a Wifi, and I have not once wished I had 3G.
    If I had to go wifi only I probably would not even have bothered. Currently zipping down Madison Ave in a comfortable reclining seat tapping this out and watching sling on my iPhone. Can't do 'dat over wifi.
    I use my iPhone as a hot spot, so on the few places I don't have Wifi, I just hook it up.
    That's the route to go when you don't do much. Unlimited data on both. I use my devices to the max, 5 gigs a month on each, can't deal with the data strangle hold of tether and battery drain. Can't give up the unlimited, don't want to be looking over my shoulder.
    3G iPad for me all the way too. If public wifi were more secure, then I could save the money. But it is not and I'm not sharing my surfing info, which is what you do when you sign onto public wifi. I wasn't even aware of this until I found out your surfing can be monitored. Another thing, wifi is not available everywhere. Tethering, hopefully you have a plan for that because AT&T started cracking down. Although tethering charges are huge ripoffs, data is data.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I am grandfathered with AT&T but I don't tether enough for it to matter. Between work, home, hotels, airports and friends' I've got 95% of my surfing covered.
    Be aware that your surfing in hotels can be monitored. They know what sites you're visiting. That scared me away cold from using hotel internet and I can see why people bring their own dongles for their laptops.

Be aware that your surfing in hotels can be monitored. They know what sites you're visiting. That scared me away cold from using hotel internet and I can see why people bring their own dongles for their laptops.
    Shy of browsing illegal content, what should one really be concerned about? 0_o
    Would you like the hotel to know your banking? Why is your surfing their business?

Would you like the hotel to know your banking? Why is your surfing their business?
    Banking is secure, even over public wifi. Facebook and Twitter now are as well (assuming you use SSL [https] to access).

The most a hotel or anyone else could gather is I visited USAA's website, aside from that.. there's nothing else they can gain.
    You're too trusting, lol. Seriously, it's not any hotel's business which sites you visit. Monitoring is invasion of privacy as far as I'm concerned. They need to be dumbpipe providing service and nothing more.

You're too trusting, lol. Seriously, it's not any hotel's business which sites you visit. Monitoring is invasion of privacy as far as I'm concerned. They need to be dumbpipe providing service and nothing more.
    Has nothing to do with trust; it's what I do for a living so I know how it all works.
    I can't get into details, but have records of people being told to leave the hotel because of what sites they visited. That should be none of the hotel's business what sites you visit anyway, end of story.

Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    I am grandfathered with AT&T but I don't tether enough for it to matter. Between work, home, hotels, airports and friends' I've got 95% of my surfing covered.
    Your saying you have unlimited on your iphone with ATT tethering? Interesting. Every ATT search link I''ve Googled says you have to give up unlimited and go with Data Pro for 4 gigs or one of the lesser tiers.
    3G iPad for me all the way too. If public wifi were more secure, then I could save the money. But it is not and I'm not sharing my surfing info, which is what you do when you sign onto public wifi. I wasn't even aware of this until I found out your surfing can be monitored. Another thing, wifi is not available everywhere. Tethering, hopefully you have a plan for that because AT&T started cracking down. Although tethering charges are huge ripoffs, data is data.
    3G for the win, you won't be sorry. . A wifi only tablet is about as useful as an iPod touch, its crippled. With the app Whistler, you can even make phone calls if you were so inclined. A wifi only tablet reminds me of my HP iPaq. It had everything, expect a way to communicate to the outside world by itself. Being always connected is what it's all about, thats why we have cell phones, to be connected.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 04/26/2011 at 08:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Your saying you have unlimited on your iphone with ATT tethering? Interesting. Every ATT search link I''ve Googled says you have to give up unlimited and go with Data Pro for 4 gigs or one of the lesser tiers.
    I'm grandfathered on data. And use MyWi (jailbreak).

Re: hotel monitoring; I am aware that's all possible, but for financial info, I'm always on https, and otherwise, well, I'm pretty boring. Anyone monitoring me would fall asleep of boredom.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast