Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    3G for the win, you won't be sorry. . A wifi only tablet is about as useful as an iPod touch, its crippled. With the app Whistler, you can even make phone calls if you were so inclined. A wifi only tablet reminds me of my HP iPaq. It had everything, expect a way to communicate to the outside world by itself. Being always connected is what it's all about, thats why we have cell phones, to be connected.
    When I got the iPad 2 I went back and forth between deciding upon the wifi and 3G model; in the end I couldn't justify spending $150 more for 3G when the wifi model is capable of everything the 3G model is when tethered to my iPhone.

I already had the $20 tethering plan on my iPhone account to tether my laptop since I do so much work on the road that it really made no sense to get a 3G iPad 2 and pay for internet access I already have through tethering.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I can't get into details, but have records of people being told to leave the hotel because of what sites they visited. That should be none of the hotel's business what sites you visit anyway, end of story.
    Interesting.

I've been working in hotels since before and after my time in the Army. I've worked for 4 different properties in different capacities, but I digress. Not one of them monitored their internet traffic. 2 of the 4 simply provided basic wifi via the local utilities company, and set up routers around the hotel property. Similar to a home network on a larger scale. The management had no idea how to even reset the connection if it went down. The other 2, one a Hilton and the other a Hyatt, used a third party IT company to run their internet service. The employees and managers had no access for troubleshooting, maintenance, etc. We had to call the company, who would then send a tech.

As far as the third party company monitoring our traffic, I can't say. But in my experience, hotels do not care nor show any inclination to review visited web pages. Obviously this is not going to be the case nation wide. Or even state wide. I'm only saying because I have some kind of relevant information on the matter. I wholeheartedly agree with you that what we do on the internet is no business of theirs.

And as far as the Xoom goes... I'm not embarrassed to say two days ago was the first time I've ever heard of the device, and I was not impressed. Any Xoom owners here?
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akabadnews View Post
    And as far as the Xoom goes... I'm not embarrassed to say two days ago was the first time I've ever heard of the device, and I was not impressed. Any Xoom owners here?
    yep! Decided that waiting for some yet to be determined date for the TouchPad was not worth it, when I was ready for a tablet NOW ! I had upgraded my iPod touch from 2nd Gen to 4th Gen and while newer features are nice, I didn't need a 10" version. The Xoom will enable the microSD someday and has HDMI out for watching movies while camping, plus a GPS chip that with cached Google maps/navigation or tethered to my Pre2 or Pixi+ gives me a 10" screen for maps. The price for my wifi 32GB was 10 bucks less than the wifi 32GB ipad2 and thanks to the lackluster sales, I picked it up at Costco, gel case included. with all of those positives I was willing to give android a try, and it has worked out well. I love having a tablet and this Xoom is great, I am very happy with it!

Clarice

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    "hdmi for watching movies while camping"? Do you have an HDTV in your tent?
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    He came up with that number based on calling a grand total of 21 stores --- 6 costcos, 6 best buys, 6 verizon stores and 3 staples stores.

Xoom-Hating Analyst Thinks Motorola Should Start Patent War - Brian Caulfield - Shiny Objects - Forbes

The 50000 Playbook first day sales was based on calling about 70 stores.
    You can paint a turd any color you want, it's still a turd.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    And meanwhile, I just finally pulled the trigger on an iPad2. Its "tax free" day at my local apple store, (meaning all Apple products, including iPad2 are tax free) and there was a 2 hour wait first thing this morning. I bailed and went back four hours later, and it was still over an hour wait. The line is moving quickly but they expect a line all day long.
    Congrats! My mother really likes hers and can't stop talking about. Her friends at the West Edmonton Mall Chapel are all jealous of her as well. Lol
    My 8yo daughter has had her ipad2 wifi for about a month and she loves it... much more convenient to email me all the time and she uses the universal search to google stuff for school and besides the games of course like angry birds she likes trying to make songs with garage band and likes pulling up vids on youtube... maybe it's just the newness but she is using it more than her netbook.

i just got my 3g ipad2 last week with yoobao leather case that has that smart wake feature and have to say it's pretty cool. the thing is super fast and getting use to just open the cover and have it on the last app, usually email or browser, and go a quick email check or check on a fav site. when done, you just close the cover and it's off. i am really getting use to that instant on and off. the ipad specific apps are pretty impresive... like cnn or usa today or cnbc and etrade... much more than their iphone counterparts... very polished.

admittedly, the camera suck lol. tried facetime with my daughter and unless under good lighting doesnt look as good as a webcam on pc. i was hoping for better cause when she goes to china this summer was hoping to use facetime. oh well. everything else rocks though.

havent used the 3g... paid the extra just in case i need to activate on a trip of something. cool thing about it is that youre not on contract... just pay for a month when needed. i might try it but work is getting me a verizon lte mifi so will probably lug that with me instead.

other companies may have better specs on paper but am really impressed with this ipad2... the big thing is the total package; hardware, software and especially apps that make this thing useful to such a broad range of buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Congrats! My mother really likes hers and can't stop talking about. Her friends at the West Edmonton Mall Chapel are all jealous of her as well. Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    I'm grandfathered on data. And use MyWi (jailbreak).

Re: hotel monitoring; I am aware that's all possible, but for financial info, I'm always on https, and otherwise, well, I'm pretty boring. Anyone monitoring me would fall asleep of boredom.
    Thanks for the clarification. I thought ATT was pulling a fast one on me.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    When I got the iPad 2 I went back and forth between deciding upon the wifi and 3G model; in the end I couldn't justify spending $150 more for 3G when the wifi model is capable of everything the 3G model is when tethered to my iPhone.

I already had the $20 tethering plan on my iPhone account to tether my laptop since I do so much work on the road that it really made no sense to get a 3G iPad 2 and pay for internet access I already have through tethering.
    Yep thats what all non 3G iPad people say. 3G > wifi.
    Yep thats what all non 3G iPad people say. 3G > wifi.
    ... but I have 3G. What's the difference between 3G provided from my phone (which I always have with me) or it baked into the iPad itself? I'm just not seeing the benefit (and I spend a solid week trying to see the benefit before I made the purchase).
    ... but I have 3G. What's the difference between 3G provided from my phone (which I always have with me) or it baked into the iPad itself? I'm just not seeing the benefit (and I spend a solid week trying to see the benefit before I made the purchase).
    I'm not sure he gets it either. I tether as well. It's more than adequate for my needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I'm not sure he gets it either. I tether as well. It's more than adequate for my needs.
    Well I can see the benefit for those that don't have devices that are capable of tethering or don't want to spend the extra money monthly just to have the capability (since the iPad is a pay-as-you-go service).

I guess it depends on your needs. But for me, tethering is the way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    See: Xoom Sales Estimate: At Best a Dud, at Worst a Bomb

"Best case scenario then, according to Chowdry, is that Motorola has sold 120,000 Xooms; worse case scenario, itís sold just 25,000. Now, admittedly, thatís a very large range, and one could argue that it makes Chowdryís estimate largely meaningless. But remember that original forecasts suggested Motorola would sell between 3 and 5 million Xooms this year and earlier this month some analysts were calling for first quarter sales of 300,000."

Tomorrow is Motorola Mobility's Earnings call. How will they get around saying how the Xoom really did?

Many are saying that Motorola will have to announce a price drop to at least under $500 and new carriers at the same time to keep the stock from tanking.

We will know tomorrow...
    When were they supposed to announce earnings? I haven't seen anything.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I use the iPad on 3G for two to three hour sessions where no wifi is available, dont want iPhone battery drain.

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    What's not to get? I chose not to go the jailbreak route this time around so tethering with the cydia app is not an option. Being official on the ATT plan will choke my data usage. Besides that battery life is a concern. I need each device to have good battery life without carrying around a battery pack. I do more than the casual user.

Well I can see the benefit for those that don't have devices that are capable of tethering or don't want to spend the extra money monthly just to have the capability (since the iPad is a pay-as-you-go service).

I guess it depends on your needs. But for me, tethering is the way to go.
    The iPad is pay as you go but the second you skip a month you loose unlimited.
    I could consider the wifi version if I can secure a hotspot device with pay as you go options. I'd need it mainly for traveling. But then that brings the price to the same as a 3G anyway. I really don't like the option of using the phone's data though. That's just me. One reason, I change phones. Another reason, AT&T and their crackdown on only iPhone users(an unrestricted 2.2 or rooted Android offers hotspot too). I don't need or want to pay AT&T each and every month for tethering, at least not so far.

3G equals less hassles right now. Turn on data when you need it, no worrying.

On topic. I still haven't seen any report from Motorola. Are you sure they were supposed to announce today? Or is it not supposed to be public or something?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I could consider the wifi version if I can secure a hotspot device with pay as you go options. I'd need it mainly for traveling. But then that brings the price to the same as a 3G anyway. I really don't like the option of using the phone's data though. That's just me. One reason, I change phones. Another reason, AT&T and their crackdown on only iPhone users(an unrestricted 2.2 or rooted Android offers hotspot too). I don't need or want to pay AT&T each and every month for tethering, at least not so far.

3G equals less hassles right now. Turn on data when you need it, no worrying.

On topic. I still haven't seen any report from Motorola. Are you sure they were supposed to announce today? Or is it not supposed to be public or something?
    It's really six in one, half dozen another.

Assuming you have AT&T (not sure about Verizon) the iPad 3G is limited to 2GB monthly. A tethering plan gives you 2GB more on the month (to a total of 4GB), so no matter how you look at it you still have the same bandwidth cap monthly.

Also, tethering you can add/remove as you please with no contract modification.
    Last edited by barkerja; 04/28/2011 at 12:35 PM.
    I use the iPad on 3G for two to three hour sessions where no wifi is available, dont want iPhone battery drain.
    That is a good point, and I can see it being useful for that.

The iPad is pay as you go but the second you skip a month you loose unlimited.
    Another good reason, I suppose.
    It's really six dozen one, half dozen another.

Assuming you have AT&T (not sure about Verizon) the iPad 3G is limited to 2GB monthly. A tethering plan gives you 2GB more on the month (to a total of 4GB), so no matter how you look at it you still have the same bandwidth cap monthly.

Also, tethering you can add/remove as you please with no contract modification.

6 dozen = 72

1/2 dozen = 6

somehow the analogy isn't lining up with the math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    6 dozen = 72

1/2 dozen = 6

somehow the analogy isn't lining up with the math.
    Crossed wires after ~15 hours of straight debugging.
    Now here's something I didn't expect!

Motorola Mobility ships 250,000 tablets, beats estimates | Nanotech - The Circuits Blog - CNET News

I'm hoping most of those were the wifi version because the data version is a rip off how it went out the door!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast