Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    1. Bring on the wifi version first
    2. Price matters!
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    1. Bring on the wifi version first
    2. Price matters!
    Yeah, I think the price was the key. With great specs with $400, they definately hit the sweet spot.
    Totally agree... especially in this economy. I can justify $400 a heck of a lot faster, personally, than $500-600. I'm really hoping that HP swings for the fences with the first release and a market driving price point (so I can get one without feeling like I just invested too much).
    problem is that now poeple are starting to buying into Android tablet. And it's just a matter of time to see tons of great Honeycomb apps are coming out.
    Nah.. that's not a problem. People think that there is a really narrow window of opportunity and that's simply not the case. Yes, it's best to be in early, but it's still a wild-west market that's only beginning to be tapped. It isn't a sprint... it's a marathon.
    If only TouchPad can come out with big bang. If they put $400 or less, and take the big chucks out of market share. And put the confident level up on developers to get on board with webOS. If they don't do it right away, webOS will continue to struggle at 3% market share or less. And all the big company will not put out the apps that they generally put it on iOS and Android. And I am still not buying in webOS in PC.
    how can you say, "nah... That's not a problem"? It is a problem. I know six people that are in love with webos and four now have ios and two have android tablets. Go ahead keep dragging your feet.
    Quote Originally Posted by kaulds View Post
    how can you say, "nah... That's not a problem"? It is a problem. I know six people that are in love with webos and four now have ios and two have android tablets. Go ahead keep dragging your feet.
    I can easily say it because it's a personal opinion. Those 6 people aren't going to be with iOS or Android for the rest of their life are they? If you decided to use Windows 95 when it first came out, does that mean that is your choice for life and no other Operating System could possibly be better than that, or compete because everything else is late to the market? I'm sure at some point they will again look for a new phone. This is just an OS, not a life decision. The tablet market is a brand new arena and will be a wide open market for some time. HP has the size and ability to do it right and offer services under one umbrella that no other company has available. But like I said... this isn't a sprint.

I'm really hoping that HP comes out of the gate with guns blazing too, but there are a HUGE number of dominoes for them to set up before we can enjoy watching the show. HP's absorption of Palm was done in record time and the synergy services they are hinting at setting up to support webOS take time to ready. I'm not saying I don't care about seeing users try other platforms.... but I'm not worried about it because, like I said... even those who run out and get a iOS or Android device now will be upgrading down the line. At that point, they can look at webOS again.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 04/26/2011 at 10:13 AM.
  9.    #9  
    Vewsonic gslate is $280 at woot.

Android low price tab will flood market soon, with similar quanlity hardwares as touchpad. $4xx price will be a dead horse.

On a side note, touchpad will likely be released next month, insider news,
    But without big market share, how can you convinced the developers to make good apps to webOS? I heard that Amazon is going to create their own tablet with android, that will be another big threat. And with this kind of big sales for android tablet, they will get the big momentum to get tons of developers to create new tablet apps for android. If you are going to treat webOS with long term solution, they are putting initial touchPad owners to go thru the same process for those who bought original Pre. They have to wait for good apps to come out. With current market, their no such a thing as marathon. Either you have a big hit, or you will be the product go die really fast like Sony PSP Go. I understand HP invested big money into webOS. But some point in time, if they dont see the big return, they can easily dump the project and go with something else.
    Many want HP to react to what some customers and other companies are doing... but companies that are reactionary to market changes never survive. HP is only a couple of months (not years) away from launching the TouchPad. HP is not a reactionary company, but a proactive one. They see the scope of the market possibilities and set up their products and services to take advantage of the potential. Do you push a product to market with limited capabilities and narrow scope, or do you bring one out that when ready has a backbone in place that not only offers consumers a wider array of capabilities, but also offers developers a much larger sandbox to play in? Yes, it will take time to gain devs and build the catalog... but if you read some of the news stories that have been posted recently, you will see that HP has been generating incredible interest in webOS within IT groups... which will mean growing interest by developers.
    I agree with hellonnnewman... But I still want a WiFi version first, and for less than $399... And before June!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I agree with hellonnnewman... But I still want a WiFi version first, and for less than $399... And before June!
    If someone said this like a month ago, I would've thought that it's insane to ask HP to release sub $400 tablet. However, at this point, I think HP has to put sub $400 wifi only touchPad. I believe this will generate big buzz in the tech world, and this will sell out the device in pre-order. With couple of million sells in couple of months of wifi only version, maybe they can release $500 with 4g enable touchPad, this will be big hit. And finally it can turn the table in mobile market.
    It's not unheard of the big company invested alot of money on the project and dump it if they think it won't make the money like they initially estimated.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    So HP bought webOS for over a billion dollars and is investing all of the resources required for continued development just so that they can compete at $400 with generic Android tablets? It doesn't make any sense. If they were going to do that they they should have just used Android and made the tablets like they do notebooks.
    I for one don't think HP currently has the branding to compete in the market of "Oh I will pay more for that because of the name on it" So HP will need to compete on price if they want to be in the consumer market.

Heck even the Corporate market is getting more and more influence from what consumers want because ultimately the consumers work in the corporate world as well.

Also they will need to sell a lot of them to get developer interest going. Because I don't think it can succeed if it can't get the major developers of popular apps on board.

That all being said I still eagerly await the TouchPad. Although I'm highly tempted by the Acer Iconia right now to go with my EVO. But a Pre3/ Touchpad combo makes me excited.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    My point is that HP specifically set out on a strategy that would get them out of the price-sensitive generic hardware market - i.e. Windows notebooks, netbooks, desktops, etc. I imagine that they decided that mobile hardware competition based on price would be even more brutal.

Given that HP doesn't depend on webOS for any part of its survival, it is more likely to pursue a slower non-price-competitive strategy. That means a lot less volume and a lot less market share.
    That may be the case. But I hope they are able to get a large market share as that means more developers and more features and more hardware and more people who even know what WebOS is.

Although hasn't Leo Apotheker said they want to be like apple. Which would mean they need to get more then just a small market share if they want to compete in the mobile space at least. It may a struggle but I'm rooting for them. I think the next year will be a telling year.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    What's the lesson? Limited stock --- causing sell outs --- makes big headlines.
    Just played with the Acer Iconia Tablet at BestBuy -- $449 wifi version with Honeycomb installed. Looked pretty nice I must say. A lot lighter than the Xoom and seemed more responsive. Also has a working micro sd-card slot (actually looks like it was designed to have two slots but one is covered up) and paired right up with my phone's wireless tether.

The BB store not sure when getting the $399 (without keyboard) Trasformer in the store, the BB website showing them sold-out.

With these two out there, the Nook Color becoming a semi-capable tablet for $250 (less if find special deals) and more on the way (Amazon?), the TouchPad wi-fi better come in at -- if not under -- $400
    Quote Originally Posted by kaulds View Post
    Because people will be buying tablets for years to come. Apple was late to the smartphone biz... Look at them now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I agree.

Everyone will have to race to get below the Transformer $400 price point because the Transformer keyboard dock option is a lot more than just a keyboard. It brings twice the battery life, 2 full working USB ports, and a SD card slot. Add a mouse, memory stick, or whatever. No one esle can match any of that right now.

Sony just announced their new tablets. LG just announced their new one. Toshiba just announced their new tablet. I have run out of room on the comparison chart to include them all:
    HP TouchPad vs. iPad 2, Xoom, PlayBook, Galaxy 10, Acer

I was at Best Buy and asked a manager I know how sales are going now that the $450 Acer Iconia is sitting next to the $600 Xoom. He said that they have not sold a Xoom since the Iconia came in.

I asked about the Asus Transformer and he said they are getting 5 in their first shipment expected today. They expect most people will get the keyboard dock.

But he said, why not buy the HP - Mini Netbook / 10.1" Display / 160GB for $250 instead? 3 USB, SD, same size screen, faster processor, 10 hour movie playback on battery, just over an inch thick, and tether it to your phone.

$400 is the tablet price to match now. Get EasyTether or Freetether and they all become 3G or 4G tablets without the plan and without root. Get a 16GB model and add a 32GB microSD card if you need it for $60 from Amazon, Buy.com, or Newegg. Or save money and get the 16GB for $25.

But still, even at $400 how do any of the new tablets compare to the HP Mini 110 netbook at $250?

Netbooks like the $250 HP Mini 110 are the real competition.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 04/26/2011 at 03:25 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast