Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 31 of 31
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Nah.. that's not a problem. People think that there is a really narrow window of opportunity and that's simply not the case. Yes, it's best to be in early, but it's still a wild-west market that's only beginning to be tapped. It isn't a sprint... it's a marathon.
    In regards to applications, there is a very narrow window. A vast majority of the applications found on iOS are developed by indie developers, not large corporations. With that said, indie developers generally don't have the resources (nor the desire) to support multiple platforms, it's difficult enough to support one.
  2. #22  
    However, the worst mistake HP can make is to rush out some crap just because they feel pressure to get something out NOW. If some feel they have little chance if they delay. I can tell you they have NO chance if they put out garbage that many on this thread will thoroughly (and rightfully) trash.

    NOTE: This is not about design decisions - 9" vs. 10" screen for example, but the ability to meet base expectations. (Too short a battery life, too many "in a future upgrade" features...like e-mail support or 'cut and paste')

    A good tablet 6 months late will leapfrog much of the "rushed to market" junk out there now. No, they have little to no chance to jump to #1, but they don't need to do that.

    In fact, a good company would use the abundance of cheap tablet hardware to their advantage by making sure that their least expensive offering is a more pleasant experience than most of their competition.

    Was Xbox the first game system out there? It is not really hurting them now. And it took them years to gain traction. (See the sprint vs. marathon comments)
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Nah.. that's not a problem. People think that there is a really narrow window of opportunity and that's simply not the case. Yes, it's best to be in early, but it's still a wild-west market that's only beginning to be tapped. It isn't a sprint... it's a marathon.
    How far back in the marathon can you be before its obvious that you will not finsih 1st, 2nd or 3rd. I could be wrong, it would seem you need to be near the front of the pack to have a shot.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    How far back in the marathon can you be before its obvious that you will not finish 1st, 2nd or 3rd. I could be wrong, it would seem you need to be near the front of the pack to have a shot.
    But the question is... when is 'the finish'. if they come out with a solid product and by this time in two years are a solid 5th place tablet (not OS, but counting each tablet individually) is that bad?

    Can't get to first place unless you move into 10th, 9th, ... 5th, 4th, 3rd, and 2nd first.

    Besides, who is in first place now, Apple or Motorola, Toshiba, or Sony. Should the others assume that they can't compete and go home, or do they work to get better?
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
  5. #25  
    "Netbooks like the $250 HP Mini 110 are the real competition. "

    Going to have to disagree with you on this one Milo, I have a Mini 110 (like it a lot, great value) but its not great when standing in a hallway or sitting in a chair with no desk or when you want to hand it to someone to show them a document or an email.

    That being said, I agree that $399 is the magic number at this point. Touchpad needs to come in at or under that.
  6. #26  
    HP is not bringing out WIFI version first?

    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    1. Bring on the wifi version first
    2. Price matters!
  7. #27  
    They are. Which does make the original post kinda confusing
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    How far back in the marathon can you be before its obvious that you will not finsih 1st, 2nd or 3rd. I could be wrong, it would seem you need to be near the front of the pack to have a shot.
    but there's no finish line... so its never 'obvious' that you will not reach a top position.
  9. #29  
    fear not. WebOS 3 will be released in a advanced beta state on a 3G device first at a $599 price point. HP is aiming to flood the market in order to gain developer attention.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    "Netbooks like the $250 HP Mini 110 are the real competition. "

    Going to have to disagree with you on this one Milo, I have a Mini 110 (like it a lot, great value) but its not great when standing in a hallway or sitting in a chair with no desk or when you want to hand it to someone to show them a document or an email.

    That being said, I agree that $399 is the magic number at this point. Touchpad needs to come in at or under that.
    I agree that is exactly what makes a tablet a great device for consuming content.

    When you want to create content there is nothing like a real keyboard and touchpad and for some a mouse is better still.

    And now there is something that can change back and forth.

    But if you are looking at computers for you or your kid to use for reports, research, etc., do you get the $250 HP Mini 110 or a tablet that costs double or triple the cost?

    The reason that tablets are right next to netbooks at Best Buy is to make it easy to compare. And right in the middle is the Transformer, doing both.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions