Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Sony Tablets S1 and S2. Promo Video.

The tablet war is getting hot and the market crowded of tablets. Everyone wants a piece of the pie. Now Sony has announced two tablets the S1 and S2 with Android 3.0

From the Press Release:
    S1 has a 9.4-inch display for enjoying the web and rich content on a large screen. Its off-center of gravity design realizes stability and ease of grip as well as a sense of stability and lightness, offering comfortable use for hours.

S2 has two 5.5-inch displays that can be folded for easy portability. In contrast to existing tablets, its unprecedented dual screen presentation and usability allows its displays to be combined and used as a large screen or for different functions such as playing video on one screen while showing control buttons on the other.

Promo Teaser:

According to some comments of the Sony CEO they expect to become second in the market in a year. Very optimist eh?

Thoughts?
    I would never underestimate Sony. As much as I love to hate them for always trying to introduce new proprietary formats when we don't need them (MD, ATRAC, Beta, Memory Stick, Blu-Ray, etc.), I own a Sony TV, a Sony Dash, a Sony MD head unit in my car (irony), and a Sony stereo system. I never go out looking specifically for Sony stuff, but they often give you the most performance for your dollar, and do it in a uniquely and attractively styled manner. The folded notebook design of that 10" tablet is not like anything we have seen before. It definitely appears thicker than most tablets, but I am sure there's a reason. And the folding tablet? If the Kyocera Echo had been that simple, it might not be so reviled.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    sony is done, they cant even keep psn up and running. this along with their NGP is just shooting them selves in the foot and spreading too thin.
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    I would never underestimate Sony. As much as I love to hate them for always trying to introduce new proprietary formats when we don't need them (MD, ATRAC, Beta, Memory Stick, Blu-Ray, etc.), I own a Sony TV, a Sony Dash, a Sony MD head unit in my car (irony), and a Sony stereo system. I never go out looking specifically for Sony stuff, but they often give you the most performance for your dollar, and do it in a uniquely and attractively styled manner. The folded notebook design of that 10" tablet is not like anything we have seen before. It definitely appears thicker than most tablets, but I am sure there's a reason. And the folding tablet? If the Kyocera Echo had been that simple, it might not be so reviled.
    Sony always goes the other way Koreans do, trying to innovate and not copying at least on the form factors designs.

As you I have every multimedia device just Sony. My old black screen Sony still working and sometimes I think has much better resolution than the new ones even from Sony. Of course I had to update some with flats TVs.

Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    sony is done, they cant even keep psn up and running. this along with their NGP is just shooting them selves in the foot and spreading too thin.
    Maybe you are right for games devices. Sony have a wide range .

It is hard to tell if they will be well positioned in the tablets market, but as Syndil said I wont understimate them either.
    One of the main reasons I have so much Sony stuff is because I was able to get it at a great price. The TV and the Dash are both refurbs, one purchased directly from the Sony Outlet and the other from woot.com. I also have a Sony Blu-Ray player from the Sony Outlet. I didn't even know anything about the Dash before I saw it on woot.com, and would not have bought it if they had not offered for such a bargain. Now that I have it, I love it, but I would not have paid more for it. I can see the same thing happening with a tablet. I don't have any need or desire for a tablet, but if Sony puts the S1 and S2 at an attractive price point below their competition, they will sell.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Android Central has this article today:
    http://www.androidcentral.com/sony-u...ndroid-tablets

Sony had hoped to get $599 for the 9.4" S1. After the $499 iPad 2, $449 Acer Icona, $449 Toshiba Tablet, and $399 Asus Transformer, Sony will have to follow Samsung and rethink their pricing.

...or Sony will be doomed to follow the Xoom's death spiral.
    Sony is often more than the competition.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Android Central has this article today:
    http://www.androidcentral.com/sony-u...ndroid-tablets

Sony had hoped to get $599 for the 9.4" S1. After the $499 iPad 2, $449 Acer Icona, $449 Toshiba Tablet, and $399 Asus Transformer, Sony will have to follow Samsung and rethink their pricing.

...or Sony will be doomed to follow the Xoom's death spiral.
    Yeah I am predicting massive price drops across the board on tablets, once the honeymoon phase is over. Less than one year from now, people will shake their heads in disbelief at the prices some people are paying for tablets today.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    eh, they cant get their act together. they miss priced with the ps3 and now they are doing the same with their new tablets, and one of them is a rip off of the DS. which nintendo looks to be loosing alot of momentum with. sony has a huge music and movie catalog, but netflix and itunes own them. nothing they do does well now.
    they need to start breaking up the company again and focus on gagdets like they used to.
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Someone needs to inform Sony of how poorly they are doing then. I am sure it is news to them.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Don't bury your head in the sand either. Sony has many failures and missteps and has lost money.

Sony Ericsson did not do well for a long time. PSP Go. Memory sticks. PS3 was priced out of range for many at first. It's harder for developers to cater to the PS3, that's why only big games from big developers seem to get on the PS3. I don't remember too many indies, if any, on the PS3, unlike Xbox 360. And now the PSN mess, they waited until today to tell people personal info was compromised. Almost 1 week later. In the meantime, some people had already reported weird CC charges. etc. etc.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    The Dual-screen units look promising, but so far I haven't been impressed with Honeycomb. Maybe it is the implementations presently out their, but I don't get the big deal with the interface and sliding screens??? Curious how the S2 handles this and uses the standard interface. Like the idea of having something small when folded and then ready for action when opened. Sorli...
    @Diva This is all stuff that media outlets like to complain about, but they are not failures per se from Sony's point of view. PS3 was priced high, people still bought it (btw there are plenty of indie titles for download). Even when they were losing money on the sale of the hardware, the PS3 was profitable when considering the entire ecosystem. The media likes to point out how Sony stopped production of the PSP Go, but they didn't stop production everywhere, and are still producing it for the US market. Why? As inexpensive as it is currently priced, it still sells. They are making money on phones, thanks to Android, and they still make lots of money publishing music and movies. Even when Sony announced losses in 2008 and 2009 due to the sluggish economy, their stock prices still went up. The reason they are able to weather such losses is the same reason they are able to take risks on proprietary formats: because they are a very healthy company, to say the least. Or you could say they are an unstoppable juggernaut. Don't forget, Blu-Ray was another one of their proprietary format gambles, and for once, they won that one. Now every time a Blu-Ray disc or player is sold--no matter who made it--Sony gets paid. Oh yeah, and they still sell a crapload of TVs and stereos.

So I really have to chuckle when I see comments like "Sony is done." They could probably lose their entire PSN division and shrug it off as an acceptable loss. People should be thankful that a company is willing and able to take such risks without fear of a failure tossing them into bankruptcy. Innovation requires risk.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    I didn't see many indie titles on PSN. I was looking in the demo section mainly to try the games first, I didn't see much indie except maybe Flower and that one other artistic game. But 360 has way more.

Sony is extremely anti-consumer, stubborn, and shortsighted(MSFT can be too though). Rootkit scandal at the top of the list. BluRay is a success only because of the DRM studios wanted. DRM that keeps updating itself then breaks players which then cannot play the discs with older encryption(except Sony's of course, big surprise). Someone mentioned that they tried to stream a BluRay and got some DRM message because Sony had implemented yet another block on fair usage. People already think BluRay will go the way of the DVD much quicker, due to the convenience of video streaming. I actually don't like that hypothesis but I just saw a report that claims Netflix is now as big as cable.

PS3 sold many more at $300 and that's the time they turned a true profit on the PS3. Though I agree the older ones were worth the money, they turned gaming into pure luxury, one that many just couldn't afford. You had MSFT selling a core system for $250, then $200, and people who were less affluent(lots) could still game. They just got raped on upgrading the system. But they took that chance to "pay as you go" basically. $200 looks a lot better than $400, which PS3 was at the time when MSFT reduced their prices. Sony's misstep wasn't that the PS3 wasn't worth it, but that they failed to look at what many people will pay. Gaming as a luxury wasn't the way to sell mass market. MSFT amazingly read the gaming market better.

PSP GO, big loser no matter how you look at it. Overpriced at first, some developers said they would not port popular PSP games for download making UMD preferable, lies over disc trade in, overpriced digital games, wifi b in the age of n.

Sony Ericsson had to switch to Android to save their butts over years of producing too many identical dumbphones. Some were priced as smartphones but weren't. And then they didn't see the market trend of smartphone usage going up until a bit late.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Sony. They aren't dead but they ain't the best either.

I never said they were the best. But again, all the things you pointed out are consumer complaints, not things that necessarily hurt Sony's bottom line. Sony will continue to take risks and bring innovative products to market, and I'm sure they will have a few more failures, and there will be more things for consumers to complain about. But they will still be profitable.

They are in a somewhat similar situation to Apple, although not quite as polarizing. As much as some people love to hate on Apple for the way they do business, their products, their pricing, etc., that does not change the fact that Apple is making money hand over fist. Same with Sony. You can complain about them till you're blue in the face, but they're still making money, and plenty of it.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    PSN crash due to hackers is hardly Sony's fault. How they handled the issue is another story.

And that issue is irrelevant anyways.

I think the S1 will do well. If I weren't such a webOS fan, I'd buy it over the Touchpad. I've had nothing but good experiences buying Sony products (TV, head unit, original PS3).
  17.    #17  
    I found a video of the Sony official announcement at Tokyo. It shows more about the S2 tablet:

Very interesting to see this next generation of devices and how they are slowly turning into game consoles as well. Interested in the split screens here.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Yes, and with them working on a game-oriented version of Android, it would be very easy for a device like the S2 to replace a PSP. Controls on bottom screen, display on top. Very curious to know if Sony is working on porting PSP games to Android, possibly by creating a PSP emulator for Android. The PSP ran at 266MHz, so a tablet should have enough horsepower to run the games through an emulator.

We already know they have made a PS1 emulator for Android.

Playstation Suite: Sony Brings Playstation Games To Android Phones
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  20.    #20  
    Gaming devices have to innovate coming with touch controllers on the devices IMHO that is the next future for mobile games.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast