1.    #1  
    The gorgeous Dell Venue Pro with WebOS, this is the type of thing HP should be doing:

It's a beautiful piece of hardware, with great build quality, great portrait keyboard, nice screen.

Don't get me wrong, I love Palm devices (I got a Pixi, and just ordered a Pre 2), but the hardware quality of HP-Palm devices is fairly low compared to stuff like this.

Hope HP manages to eventually release this kind of smartphones.
    HP Pre3?

The Pre2's build quality is already immaculate by all accounts.
    Kind of hard to judge build quality based on a video. Need to hold the thing.

Frankly I have never been impressed by the build quality of anything made by Dell. I've never held one of their mobile devices, but based on my experience with their laptops, desktops and especially printers, they have earned their way on to my **** list. I am not surprised at all to see the glossy black plastic on the rear of that phone, and I am betting the chrome is merely chrome-colored plastic as well. I imagine it feels like a big chunk of cheap plastic, just like everything else Dell makes.

To be fair, I was never impressed with the glossy plastic of the Pre either.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Is the Venue Pro made of plastic all around? As in, does it have a plastic screen?

If so, the phone is suddenly 500% more appealing to me
    Like someone said the actual build quality of that pre 2 you just ordered will be top notch, and that pre 3 I will be ordering when it arrives will be ten times better that that Dell phone could ever dream of.
    It is a nice phone, I have admit to that. Just by the looks of it it must feel solid like a slab. However, the keyboard does not look that good to me. There is no spacing at all between the keys and the reviewer notes that it is rather crammed. How is this any better than the Pre, or more important: than the Pre3 which is said to have one of the best portrait keyboards (according to Joshua Topolsky).

Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Is the Venue Pro made of plastic all around? As in, does it have a plastic screen?

If so, the phone is suddenly 500% more appealing to me
    If you watched the video, you'd know It has a glass screen, chrome on the sides and a shiny plastic back. The top and bottom are rubberized.
  7. END
    Global Posts
    256 Global Posts
    I didn't really like it that much.
    It seemed to thick for starters, and I enjoy a more cohesive design asthetic.
    In addition, I really would like to see more of a bezel-less design on phones. I think that would make a good design statement.

Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    If you watched the video, you'd know It has a glass screen, chrome on the sides and a shiny plastic back. The top and bottom are rubberized.
    So it's basically a Pre3 without the 1,4GHz processor, without webOS, but with 90 angles all around.

A sturdy plastic screen would've been a real argument for this phone, but since it's brittle glass, there's nothing about it that I find interesting.
    "feels really massive"...ummm...how is that a good thing?

The shiny chrome and shiny plastic back are drawbacks, in my opinion.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    So it's basically a Pre3 without the 1,4GHz processor, without webOS, but with 90 angles all around.

A sturdy plastic screen would've been a real argument for this phone, but since it's brittle glass, there's nothing about it that I find interesting.
    I wasn't talking about the internals (which are superior to those of the Pre 2 anyway, this is a phone available today).

----

The design (and the build quality, according to all reviewers) is top notch, the keyboard has been praised everywhere (even compared to the Pre 2 keyboard directly, and there was no doubt that Venue Pro keyboard was superior), it has a nice AMOLED screen instead of LCD, it has a good looking design, chrome metal parts, etc (of course, it also has WP7, an OS in its infancy, and that has an interface that looks modern in certain screenshots, but gets extremely generic and inefficient after 10 minutes using it).

I'm not trying to say is a better smartphone (If that were my opinion, why would I buy a Pre 2 instead?). I'm just talking about the build quality and aesthetics, the Pre family is competing with the iPhones and similar smartphones, and the build quality and the design of the formers has never been on par.
    The Venue Pro is stupidly massive and is packing less memory than a goldfish. I'll take the Pre3 as is.
    Hahaha you think that's too big, *Dell* has no taste in design and makes crappy laptops... get a load of this
    Acer Iconia Smart hands-on (video) -- Engadget
    And if you asked me the one PC manufacturer I disliked even more than Dell... It would be Acer. Actually eMachines would be at the very bottom, but they don't count. That would be like hating on Yugo for having made crappy cars. They're barely cars.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    I've never had a problem with Asus, not their motherboards anyway. Have had plenty of those, but never an Asus laptop.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    gotta say the dell venue design doesn't exactly make me stop and stare. But then again i've never actually like vertical sliders. It's ok but you know it's a matter of taste. i kinda like the evo 3d look if i had to have a slider.
    Quote Originally Posted by augustofretes View Post
    The gorgeous Dell Venue Pro with WebOS, this is the type of thing HP should be doing:

I liked how during the demo of the browser quality and scrolling they picked the moment (marker 4:37) that there was a big Palm logo on the screen to scroll it around in circles. LOL