Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I figured we would debate this. Who here thinks iPad 3 will be released this year (or not)? I don't think Apple will nor is it good practice. Sure, there are things like 4G and sd card slots they need to add -- but will they even add those things? From what we can guess, iPhone 5 won't have 4G and apple never supported sd cards on their mobile devices. Plus, iPad 2 is going to be hard to top. So what do u think?
    It would be bad form to anger all the iPad 2 buyers IMO. Unless iPad 3 is a higher price. But it would be better to release next year IMO. I'm betting iPad 3 is the retina display version people wanted this year.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Ipad 3 will release this year, and as an iPad 1 owner, iPad 2 owner, I won't be angry.
    I can see iPad 1 owners. But if you just dropped a load on iPad 2 and accessories, yes I can see some unhappy people. I really don't think Apple would do that unless they want bad publicity and I don't mean the type from haters.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    i really doubt they will...

as mentioned before and in their recent conference call, they are selling every ipad they make... geez, i finally got mine last week after I ordered almost a month ago and the website is still showing 1-2 week delivery time.

also, if the rumor of the iphone5 and ios5 is true for september, then they'll be busy with that and i dont think they will have two major product releases around the same time.... january will be around the corner and they'll release at normal time.

Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    Ipad 3 will release this year, and as an iPad 1 owner, iPad 2 owner, I won't be angry.
    If they're having problems shipping the next iPhone on schedule, I have an incredibly hard time believing they're going to get the next tablet out 6 months ahead of the normal routine.
    I have to also agree about them not needing it. If they're selling iPad 2 out and had to secure another display provider to help with the demand, there's no need to put resources into a new one this year.

nope. won't come this year.
    I don't believe they will release an iPad with Retina display this year. But I'd guess they will release an upgraded iPad (iPad 2X ?) with integrated HSPA+/CDMA chip and maybe even one with an LTE chip for Verizon. And higher memory - 128G.

One wild card is if they will also add NFC capabilities.
    They might throw the dual mode into iPad 3. There's rumors iPhone 5 will have it.

This is a persistent rumor. This may also be when the iPad Nano with the 6" or 7" Retina Display comes out.

Before they are done, Apple will have a family of products: iPad Nano, iPad Mini, etc.
    I don't have an opinion on this; it's all speculation but I don't get the "they can't release that because their iPad 1/2 customers will be mad" argument.

Technology ALWAYS obsolesces your product right after buying it. ALWAYS. Either in price, or tech, or both.

If this is a customer for whom this is important, they are already paying attention to product cycles. If it's not important to them they aren't, at least not enough to do more than, "Dang, I bought at the wrong time!"

My exact Vizio came out with a model several inches bigger than what I bought, for the same price I paid, about a month after I bought mine. But I didn't want to wait a month to see if something better was available.

Or do consumers in general, blame others for their choices...?
    I think it's worse with phone contracts because of the 1 or 2 year lock in but regular consumer items, like an iPad? No way.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    snip...
    I don't know about regular consumers, but for an Apple consumer, an iPad 3 release this year will be a slap in the face and there will be an uproar.

These Apple consumers follow the Apple product cycle religiously and Apple, in their minds, is not allowed to change their game plan without prior notification.

They will also expect Apple to do something for them for buying an iPad 2 in March.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    I don't have an opinion on this; it's all speculation but I don't get the "they can't release that because their iPad 1/2 customers will be mad" argument.

Technology ALWAYS obsolesces your product right after buying it. ALWAYS. Either in price, or tech, or both.

If this is a customer for whom this is important, they are already paying attention to product cycles. If it's not important to them they aren't, at least not enough to do more than, "Dang, I bought at the wrong time!"

My exact Vizio came out with a model several inches bigger than what I bought, for the same price I paid, about a month after I bought mine. But I didn't want to wait a month to see if something better was available.

Do you honestly believe some iPad 2 owners would not be the least bit teed off? Although it may depend on timing. If they release iPad 3 for the Holidays, that's still a good ways off. A September release may not be the best thing to do IMO. Short time frame of within 6 months may make people start to regret jumping on "the next best thing" so quickly.

iPad 1 owners have no room to complain.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Do you honestly believe some iPad 2 owners would not be the least bit teed off?
    yes. And they'd still sell 4 million a quarter. Teed off people that already paid them is not a big concern.
    It is if you don't want people to start rethinking how quickly they should jump. Apple times releases perfectly so people buy new releases each year, but don't get buyer's remorse. Start releasing every 6 months and some will hold off longer.

what do they add...minimal
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    It is if you don't want people to start rethinking how quickly they should jump. Apple times releases perfectly so people buy new releases each year, but don't get buyer's remorse. Start releasing every 6 months and some will hold off longer.
    And some would upgrade every 6 months :P

I can't see Apple worrying about an ipad 3 when the ipad 2 is blowing away the competition.

I don't see an ipad nano or mini either. No price range for it. Ipod touch takes that range.
    I think a diehard fan with money would update every 6 months. But others buy something to last them for a while, along with accessories, and do not want to keep changing. Or don't have the cash. With an every 6 months release, you will have people weighing their options more carefully. Just like they do with mobile phones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast