Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    no need for gps, it is enough to be connected to cell tower via phone radio to be monitored. in areas with dense towers, our location can be predicted with great precision.

Triangulation
    NCIS.
    Where is the WOSI Team when you need them?!

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Palm has NEVER been accused of such a thing and I've been using Palm products for over a decade.

Second, Google was recently busted for storing images of all activity on Android phones (browsing, email, etc)

Lastly, if for some unknown reason webOS was doing anything nefarious, one group of people would have sounded the alert...

...The WOSI Team. So we can all rest easy.
    Anyone with access to the internet is being tracked.

Anyone with a mobile device is being tracked. It is not just your phone maker, but every site and app may be collecting your information.

There are real-time satellite images being taken all of the time.

Somehow the Facebook, Groupon, Google, Yahoo, and all the other ads just seem to magically know where you are and what you buy.

If you really want to freak yourself out, check out www.spokeo.com. Your Pandora lists and Amazon wishlists and so much more may all be listed. Google Streets has pictures of your house. Calipers along with Google Maps will let you see the square footage of your house. www.zabasearch.com/advanced knows where all you used to live and your current and old phone numbers.

It's not magic. Technology is just so pervasive that the only way to hide is in a cave.
    we should try to stop the apple bashing. We're better than that. Apple makes great products that people want to use. Steve jobs has enriched many of our lives and will be sorely missed. God bless all. Happy Easter
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Anyone with access to the internet is being tracked.

Anyone with a mobile device is being tracked. It is not just your phone maker, but every site and app may be collecting your information.

There are real-time satellite images being taken all of the time.

Somehow the Facebook, Groupon, Google, Yahoo, and all the other ads just seem to magically know where you are and what you buy.

If you really want to freak yourself out, check out www.spokeo.com. Your Pandora lists and Amazon wishlists and so much more may all be listed. Google Streets has pictures of your house. Calipers along with Google Maps will let you see the square footage of your house. www.zabasearch.com/advanced knows where all you used to live and your current and old phone numbers.

It's not magic. Technology is just so pervasive that the only way to hide is in a cave.
    I'm not saying it bothers me, but the poster I responded to claimed that there was no way Palm would ever / has ever done anything like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I'm not saying it bothers me, but the poster I responded to claimed that there was no way Palm would ever / has ever done anything like this.
    Sorry. I was trying to support your point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy07 View Post
    I think everyone needs to watch Steven Rambam's "Privacy is Dead - Get Over It". It's a huge eye opener about what information is being collected about all of us, and how easily accessible it is. The half hour he talks about Google is scary. It's a bit long, but well worth watching.

-Skippy
    I will watch that video, but the bit you talked about google being scary ... Is the whole reason I don't want an android device. Google saves emails, saves your voice with google 411 and now imagine what they are doing with your phone.
    Seems like it just turned out that Iphones log all of your positional data even if you switch off / opt out of location services.

And that's the company that has been painting itself as a Gandhi-like opposition to orwellian Microsoft.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    It gets worse... Apparently the evil thing also keeps a list of all the people who have called you, or you have called, with their numbers!

Is there no end to the security holes??

Seriously, is anyone surprised by this, or the "revelation" the Android and MS7 phones do very similar things? After all, the T&C's (arguably) allow it, the phone companies are required to keep this data, and "fast" geo-location tools need it to work. I for one am getting bored of the incessant "Apple are evil" threads. Apple are a large corporation who care about their profits first and foremost, and ethics second, just like most corporations.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    I agree. My Garmin GPS keeps track of where I've been, and where it was when I turned it off. When I turn it on, I can touch a button and it will take me to where my car was when I turned it off...

I don't object to what the phone is tracking, but I do wish they would all just tell us what it's tracking and give us a button to periodically clear that info out...

It's classic congressional grandstanding IMHO. That way we are to upset to ask them to work on not going further in to chaos.
    someone throw bin laden an iphone and be done with it
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Google saves emails, saves your voice with google 411 and now imagine what they are doing with your phone.
    Imagine what they are doing? ...They run the data through a program on a server that tries to decide which advertisements you might be most interested in and then automatically sends those to you as ad links or as little pictures on the side of the screen with the realization that 99.99% of the time you will ignore them.

Real Orwellian.

Come on people, none of you are that interesting to merit anyone personally tracking you or your online activities.

-Suntan
    <<posts deleted>>

I'm sorry we let this thread go.

It is quite discouraging that a user-base gets labeled.

Surely, nothing good comes from threads/posts that use terms that belittle users of a particular device.

<<closed>>
    Just call me Berd.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12