1.    #1  
    Would that involve not making your employees sign noncompete agreements?

I can't help but think of Josh & co leaving Engadget. http://thisismynext.com/ Seems weird they didn't have noncompete clauses. Engadget builds em up, they take off and start their own almost immediately. Makes you wonder who Apple (for example) picks to send a preview unit. Who Fallon has on his late show? Engadget or Josh?

In fact, if you think about it, each one that left basically was allowed to bash em, publish goodbye letters, and then go start their own competing blog. Must be nice.

That all said, their new blog is more interesting already than Engadget who i still bookmark for news basically. Reviews or other stuff, the new blog easily wins. Check out http://thisismynext.com/2011/04/18/h...win-in-mobile/ for a good read on what webOS should be about. When HP mentioned music synergy a few months back, i was sort of thinking the same. That integrated chat app for example with sms, + other IM sources is a key difference. Take that to the next level with all its core apps?
    Last edited by cardfan; 04/20/2011 at 07:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Engadget builds em up, they take off and start their own almost immediately.
    Not quite sure I agree with that, Josh had been the editor-in-chief for something like 3 years before leaving.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Not quite sure I agree with that, Josh had been the editor-in-chief for something like 3 years before leaving.
    I think he was saying that Josh started the new blog right after *leaving* Engadget, not right after he started there.
    I guess Josh could/should have remained unpaid/unemployed for some time before starting something else??? not sure I understand that line of reasoning.

But I do agree it's a loss and to me the reviews/analysis on Engadget now seems much weaker. might have to remove that bookmark...
    Non-compete clauses in employment contracts are worth very little, unless additional compensation is a part of the signed contract.

If a key "non-contract" employee leaves or is terminated, settlement agreements are usually executed, where both parties have responsiblities to perform as a part of that contract, and 'non-competitive" language can very much be a part of that, along with NDA's for insider/propreitary information.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Interesting. Yeah - might have to leave Engadget behind..
    Last edited by tehtorq; 04/20/2011 at 03:43 PM.
    IAmA reddit - same reddit, webOS' looks
    Incoming! - Keep one step ahead of life's little curveballs.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    I guess Josh could/should have remained unpaid/unemployed for some time before starting something else??? not sure I understand that line of reasoning.

But I do agree it's a loss and to me the reviews/analysis on Engadget now seems much weaker. might have to remove that bookmark...
    I didn't mean to imply that he or they did something wrong. They didn't. It was simply more of a remark about AOL letting it happen so easily. I'm surprised AOL didn't put more obstacles in the way is all. What's more they even let them all publish goodbye letters while being a bit frank about it. Perhaps they're easily replaceable but IMO they were a key part of what made engadget...endadget.. especially as a group.

I see Engadget still as a good source for breaking tech news, but much weaker beyond that.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    That all said, their new blog is more interesting already than Engadget who i still bookmark for news basically. Reviews or other stuff, the new blog easily wins. Check out HP, here’s how you can win in mobile | This is my next... for a good read on what webOS should be about. When HP mentioned music synergy a few months back, i was sort of thinking the same. That integrated chat app for example with sms, + other IM sources is a key difference. Take that to the next level with all its core apps?
    I thought it was very interesting and thanks for the heads-up on their new location. Interesting article about how HP can make Synergy a more useful tool and hopefully HP/Palm is paying attention. I would love a Music and Video Synergy that helps bring things together and makes my life EASIER. Do people really like clicking on 12 music apps to find just what they want or would they prefer getting right to the action. I have problems now with the 4 music apps I'm presently using and can you imagine if you had 20 different services on your phone. Seems like a no-brainer to be me, but who knows...maybe I'm just more logical or simply have less time to waste.

Either way, thanks for the insight and I'll look forward to seeing our old Engadget team rocking on This is my next! Sorli...
    I think they should own their own music service but also control the pipes. Have a way to buy music and put it in the cloud, but also allow your customers to purchase music from other places. However wasn't that article on precentral about buying movies and not music? Let me check ...
    Ok it was about a music store lol couldn't remember!!!
    I still check the Engadget site daily utilizing the webOS app. I hope there will be a similar app available once Josh's new site is up and running.