1.    #1  
    For awhile now Apple has always been the one that everyone seems to be playing catchup on. They have been the one who creates ideas that everyone knock-offs. However, lately the trend has been very different. WebOS came out 2 years ago with a brand new design that was in no way a knock-off of Apple products, it was truly innovation. This year, BlackBerry has directly copied the Cards interface as well as the gesture area!! It seems that HPalm is now setting the bar along with Apple. However, today I found a leak of the white iPhone 4 sporting a "test-version" of iOS that has a few little treats it that seem to taste a little familiar. You can go to the link below and see Engadget's post, and in it and you will find that the new iOS has a new and improved multi-tasking system along with Just Ty....sorry SpotLight. While they do look very well done, you can't deny the similarity of it with WebOS. Apple has done much better than RIM and created their own version and put their Cool-Aid on it. But the purpose of these updates or to infact "catch up" with WebOS fundamentals. I find it a great sign of the times that WebOS is holding a bit of the load of innovating while others play catchup. Great job HPalm!

White iPhone 4 used to demo new multitasking, Spotlight search in 'test version' of iOS? (video) -- Engadget
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Waiting for HPalm to drop the litigation napalm on Blackberry's deutchebank doppelgangery. Agree it's nice to see Apple following Palm, but on the other hand it's just one less thing WebOS has on Apphole. Frustrating..

Hope HPalm at least beats Apple to market with music streaming service, like is being speculated. Don't forget that one..

If HP want's to be cool, it will have to start "leading" in as many areas as possible - design included. Catch-up does not "cool" make.
    The question is can HPalm keep on innovating or will they fall behind?
    looks like Expose on a Mac which came out in like 2003

i'm pretty sure this is just the multiflow jailbreak app Multiflow – Multitasking Application {Updated} | Apple iPhone School
    Here is the screenshot of the new Apple multitasking:

There are nine apps open and running at the same time:
    • Settings
    • YouTube
    • Stocks
    • Radar
    • NetGauge
    • Weather
    • TouchFighter
    • Safari Browser
    • Calculator

The video makes it seem pretty smooth like the Android Visual Task Switcher:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Well it seems that HP is setting the bar on non-released hardware to benefit from othhers have to catch up. It seems that the card and multitasking of WebOS tech gap is being closed by others (Apple, Andriod & BB) due to having developed and released there versions to consumers. Although limited from WebOS versions but consumers see those working versions and then compare it to the real thing...WebOS. Thhe real issue is that there's only one true consumer release to test your exprience on and that's a Pre2...thats it. Andriod has way to way choices, Apple...well is brainwash Apple (bite the fruit...be enslaved), BB is making a good showing with there new products IMO (@ least they have choices). HP it seems to me is innovating tech for others to copy and gain more users on while HP gives us 'In the coming weeks/months' lip service. HP has missed the boat....consumer confidence in WebOS is getting or is low due to needing new hardware and going to there second choices.
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    It's not new, it's a dropped version of iOS 4.0. And sorry to rain on the WebOS parade, like it's been said above, expose has been on MacOSX for years, along with Spotlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltcreep View Post
    Hope HPalm at least beats Apple to market with music streaming service, like is being speculated. Don't forget that one..
    I've had streaming music now on the iPhone for ~6 months with rdio.com. Also, don't forget that Apple acquired lala.com last year and is certainly in the middle of doing something with it. You don't think they built that new data center in North Carolina for nothing, do you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne173 View Post
    HP it seems to me is innovating tech for others to copy and gain more users on while HP gives us 'In the coming weeks/months' lip service.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne173 View Post
    ..consumer confidence in WebOS is getting or is low due to needing new hardware and going to there second choices.
    This captures what I've been boiling about deep inside for a long time. Watching everyone else jack some of WebOS's key competitive advantages is frustrating, especially when best practice would have us in market leading product territory had the momentum not been lost... I don't think they've missed the boat, but they've stalled so rediculously long that it's done a scary amount of damage.

It's the kind of stumble that we study about in my MBA program - most of which end up having catastrophic consequences. That's not a prediction, just a statement about the results reported in many of these case studies. I have my fingers crossed, and am rooting for HP, but I know that we WebOS loyalists are a market anomaly. Lack of supply either drives prices up, or drives the market elsewhere. Since prices don't increase for old hardware, that leaves those who leave, and then there's us.

I hope HP is serious about being the absolute leader in this integrated product infrastructure space, because the NPI cycle for top tablet/phone competitors is SUPER short. I'm not familiar with HP's record for innovation time to market for its traditional product lines. If it's world class, I'm satisfied to consider that this wait is just attributable to start up factors. I would expect things to accelerate rapidly once the HPalm show is up and running...

Sorry to vent, I'm just a WebOS loyalist who is very tired of waiting with outdated hardware and software in my hand (Pre-minus).. :/
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    I just hope HP can out the Pre3 and Touchpad WITH Music Synergy before Apple announces the iPhone 5 and iOS 5 which will in all likelihood have some kind of new streaming music and video service, and then it'll be back to everyone saying Apple did it first and WebOS copied it.
    There is a lot of frustration that other companies like Google or Apple are copying HP's so far unrealized "innovations" and claiming them for their own user base.

Seeing as HP/Palm has not really launched anything though, beyond the webos concept, who is to say that while Apple and Google are out actually innovating, its not HP just talking about it?

I get the sense that Apple and Google are innovating left and right - even in areas that they are not talking about right now - but HP is just pretty much talking. And their talking coincides with what other companies are actually DOING.

If HP was actually DOING, I think they'd get first to market on something, but they are not. So who is copying who here?
    Apple's not copying palm. They are playing catch up in the multitasking arena, Ill give you that.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    ...WebOS came out 2 years ago with a brand new design that was in no way a knock-off of Apple products, it was truly innovation. This year, BlackBerry has directly copied the Cards interface as well as the gesture area!!
    From another thread...
    In September 2007, Matias Duarte came to Palm with his cards and the rest of his ideas from Helios and Danger before that. With each new company, Duarte takes his ideas to new heights so that the refined ideas can be patented anew.

Andrew Rubin, his boss at Danger, refined his Cards and the other ideas into Android 1.0 beta on November 7, 2007, 14 months before Palm showed them. Android also featured account, contact, and calendar sync (synergy), just type searching, and the notification bar.

Apple's mobile Safari was using cards even before Android. This June 2007 iPod video shows the media player using cards. Look at Apple's iPhone 4 - Multitasking done the right way. You swipe the cards then "tap one to reopen it. No need to wait for the app to reload...Apps can remember where you left off..."

Watch Duarte's Engadget interview from 2011 CES. Notice how his shirt in only half tucked in as he excitedly talks about Android.

Brilliance does not come from companies. Brilliance comes from people.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 04/24/2011 at 07:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by i_maq View Post
    I just hope HP can out the Pre3 and Touchpad WITH Music Synergy before Apple announces the iPhone 5 and iOS 5 which will in all likelihood have some kind of new streaming music and video service, and then it'll be back to everyone saying Apple did it first and WebOS copied it.
    Rueters Exclusive: Apple to beat Google on cloud music: sources

Additional:
    One Difference Between Apple’s Music Locker and Amazon’s: Label Deals
    Last edited by sinsin07; 04/22/2011 at 02:59 AM.
    There have been many similar posts and there is always posters talking about its not new and it was on this computer and this little phone,safari this and that. Fact is the op is right, we are talking about phones and one has done it like webos does it before.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    There have been many similar posts and there is always posters talking about its not new and it was on this computer and this little phone,safari this and that. Fact is the op is right, we are talking about phones and one has done it like webos does it before.
    These are all phones in the past that we are talking about, not computers. The reference to Safari, was Mobile Safari. Check out the links.
    Renee Richie of iphone blog likes to say that palm copied safari and that it is not multitasking because one cant drag and drop like on a desktop. Then Steve Jobs at the antenna gate event (I think) gets up and says some companies know how to make software "LIKE PALM"

I wounder what would make him say a thing like that, surely he knew about mobile safari and software and phones in general. Maybe he was impressed or just wished they had done it first. I dont know, I am confused.
    Renee Richie of iphone blog likes to say that palm copied safari and that it is not multitasking because one cant drag and drop like on a desktop. Then Steve Jobs at the antenna gate event (I think) gets up and says some companies know how to make software "LIKE PALM"

I wounder what would make him say a thing like that, surely he knew about mobile safari and software and phones in general. Maybe he was impressed or just wished they had done it first. I dont know, I am confused.
    Saying a company knows how to make software is not the same as saying a company did something first. When SJ first introduced iBooks, he gave a nod to I think Amazon or B&N, can't remember which, and said they, Apple, were not first. That was not the only time he mentioned that Apple was not first at something. So it would seem that if he wanted to say Palm was first at something, like cards, he would of. It appears more like he was giving a nod to a good software company.
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Apple's not copying palm. They are playing catch up in the multitasking arena, Ill give you that.
    I say this post hit it right on.

If webOS did nothing else, it did motivate these other guys to get their version of 'multi-tasking' into their OS sooner.

Granted, giving webOS credit for that doesn't do much, and means very little when people go to buy a device.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 04/22/2011 at 07:49 PM.
    Renee Richie of iphone blog likes to say that palm copied safari and that it is not multitasking because one cant drag and drop like on a desktop...
    I cannot find a link to that. Can you share it?

Take a look at the Android Version History. When the Android Beta SDK came out in November, 2007, Google gave a list of promised features. 1.0 came out in September 2008 with Cards in the browser, Notifications, Folders, Google Sync of Gmail, Contacts, and Calendar (Synergy), Search (Just Type), Voice Dialer, and Wallpaper. (Watch the video to see how Browser Cards worked).

It actually took Android until 1.5 in April 2009 to release the promised Widgets, 3rd party keyboard support, Video recording, Video playback, etc.

But Apple was already doing most of these things in June 2007 with the iPhone 1. Look at the June 2007 iPod video showing how the media player used cards. By June 2008, the iPhone 2, was way out in front before the first Android phone had come out.

But all of this really goes back to the work of people like Andy Rubin and Matias Duarte at Danger years before. Watch this cnet video review of one of their SideKicks

Duarte did not come invent cards or notifications or synergy the day he went to work for Palm. But he brought them all to the next level just as he had done for Danger and Helios.

In the US we were all taught that Columbus discovered America on October 12, 1492. He actually never net foot in the US. He found an island. And it was October 22.

How do you discover a place where the people already there on the shore are waving back at you?
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 04/24/2011 at 07:52 AM.