Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    I hate to be in RIMs shoes if the 60 day mark passes and no native pim comes.. If that happens.. Not only will RIM be looking for a new ceo but it may well kill the playbook and its cheap webos knock off and rim leaving webos as the only player doing Mtasking right
    If there is no native email app from RIM, then you can still get a native email app from third parties.

aMail app will bring email to the BlackBerry PlayBook | MobileSyrup.com

Android has the same multitasking capabilities as webos.

Nobody cares about whether HP is going to sue RIM on the UI. The Oracle lawsuit on Dalvik is a lot more serious, now that the Playbook will have an "android player".
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Not that this is what I personally wanted, but, RIM definitely should have bought Palm last year - given what appears to be their intensive need to so sgnificantly emulate their OS.
    Why pay a 1 billion dollars more?

Android has the same multitasking capabilities as webos.
    this is simply not true. i've been using android a while now, and webos multitasking is far superior. on webOS i never had an app close unless i ask it to.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    this is simply not true. i've been using android a while now, and webos multitasking is far superior. on webOS i never had an app close unless i ask it to.
    We are also talking about quality vs. quantity of apps. It's not really Android's fault if there are badly written android apps that are leaking memory all over the place and causing the OS to close apps because it ran out of memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    We are also talking about quality vs. quantity of apps. It's not really Android's fault if there are badly written android apps that are leaking memory all over the place and causing the OS to close apps because it ran out of memory.
    Well the android approach to memory management, at the os level has created an environment that potentially leaves the user's multitasking experience inferior to that on webos... regardless of who's fault it is. as a user I rate the experience. I don't play the blame game.

And the funny thing is I use mostly big name apps and stock apps. What does that say about android when my stock browser or music player app crashes?
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Both OS'es share the same kernel which manages both the memory and the multitasking --- it's just how aggressive you dial certain parameters. I doubt there is a night and day difference between the two OS'es.
    Why pay a 1 billion dollars more?
    To "Own" the IP for their future operating system.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    To "Own" the IP for their future operating system.

RIM already bought QNX --- so if they were to purchase Palm just for the IP, then you would have never seen webos 3.0.

RIM buying QNX put Nokia into a corner --- because the only other viable COTS RTOS was vxworks, which was already purchased by Intel.
    RIM already bought QNX --- so if they were to purchase Palm just for the IP, then you would have never seen webos 3.0.

RIM buying QNX put Nokia into a corner --- because the only other viable COTS RTOS was vxworks, which was already purchased by Intel.
    Um...you arent understanding my point. Let me be more concise:

If RIM wanted WebOS as an operating system, they should have bought it - then they own it and the rights to the IP portfolio (which, reportedly, has over 1500 patents), regardless of what they already owned.

Like I said, this would not have been preferable for me, but, it makes a whole lot more sense for RIM's benefit ... why?

Because, now, with the Playbook UI implementation (that is, as I approximate above, about 70% similar, if not a direct knock-off of WebOS), they have to know that they are exposing themselves to a huge potential lawsuit - its just way too obvious - and they may wind up paying way more in the long run, in many more ways.

Last edited by LCGuy; 04/29/2011 at 03:34 PM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Because, now, with the Playbook UI implementation (that is, as I approximate above, about 70% similar, if not a direct knock-off of WebOS), they have to know that they are exposing themselves to a huge potential lawsuit - its just way too obvious - and they may wind up paying way more in the long run, in many more ways.

The mythical HP lawsuit.

The much more likely and more dangerous lawsuit is the Oracle lawsuit because RIM decided to put an android player in the Playbook.
    The mythical HP lawsuit.

The much more likely and more dangerous lawsuit is the Oracle lawsuit because RIM decided to put an android player in the Playbook.

"Mythical" or not, its a significant possibility - a real risk for RIM.

Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    "Mythical" or not, its a significant possibility - a real risk for RIM.

As I said it before --- the Oracle lawsuit is a lot more likely and a lot more dangerous.
    Both OS'es share the same kernel which manages both the memory and the multitasking --- it's just how aggressive you dial certain parameters. I doubt there is a night and day difference between the two OS'es.
    All I know is that sometimes when I go to switch to a background app on my android, sometimes it isn't in my queue. Other times it restarts when I select it. Other times I'm alerted that its been forced closed. I didn't see this with my pre. The end user doesn't care about the simularity between kernals, but the experiences are certainly very different
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    All I know is that sometimes when I go to switch to a background app on my android, sometimes it isn't in my queue. Other times it restarts when I select it. Other times I'm alerted that its been forced closed. I didn't see this with my pre. The end user doesn't care about the simularity between kernals, the experiences are certainly very different
    End users aren't going to notice much of these minor differences between android and webos --- but they are going to notice the major difference in multitasking between QNX and the rest of the mobile OS'es.
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    End users aren't going to notice much of these minor differences between android and webos --- but they are going to notice the major difference in multitasking between QNX and the rest of the mobile OS'es.
    OHhhhhhhh Man. Multitasking of QNX is direct copy of WebOS and you are saying there won't see much difference between Android and WebOS but people will see major difference between QNX and other OS.

QNX is a blatant copy of WebOS but as you know with copy, the Original is always 1000000000000000times better then the pirated one.

So WebOS will rock while QNX will have a slow and painful death and after 2months when RIM don't launch PIM apps, RIM share will again fall 20% in a day and RIM will crash and go bankrupt.

QNX sucks in front of WebOS and people are not dumb, not to know, which company copied features from whom.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 04/30/2011 at 01:23 AM.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234