Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    the phrase "true multitasking" is something i like because it aims to not being some stupid creation of a marketing department buzz word. it has been brought up as a usp but actually not by being something abstract but a real feature. not invented by palm but implemented best or at least better than other current interpretations of the concept.

i think the word is similar to an attribute like "smallness" or "lightness". every company can sell a product as being the lightest or smallest but can never sue another company for selling an even lighter and smaller one

the way it integrates with the ui and the way it is controlled can be copyrighted or trademarked. palm can even be (or actually was?) sued by apple because the card ui is very similar to the ios safari browser window management.

when ios integrated their vision of multitasking they in reality sold something that was looking like multitasking but in fact isnt. but they had true multitasking before anyways: a lot of system tasks were doing it very "truely", the feature was and is just not accessible for other apps. but since 4.0 it "looks" like apps can run in background but in fact they are not but may utilize system services to do things in the background. its a very strange form of controlled multitasking.

so when palm started to call it "true" they basically ment "not crippled like ios" and by that very meaning rim can and should use the very same term, because they did a very good job allowing apps to "truely multitask".

aside from the fact that it is a ripoff of the webos ui one must even agree that their multitasking is even "truer" than ours: games dont go into auto pause on the pb. the benefit of the feature is doubtful bit its there and "true" =)
    Actually, I think its good that RIM uses the term "True Multitasking", because, what I've seen so far, while they emulated the card theme, its still veyr much secondary to their UI - with WebOS, you are booted right into card view and that's that - the Playbook is way more cluttered and you have to find your way through it.

So, let people try the Playbook and "truly multitask"... and if they don't have the patience to get through the clutter, they may feel much more inclined to move to the TouchPad when it comes out this summer, because of the more direct implementation of the cards as the main UI theme.

Sometimes, its better to let your comptetition fail while trying to emaulate your system, so that your system can truly be appreciated.

FWIW, (and Ive posted this elsewhere on the PC forums), "multitasking" per se, is really just having many applications open at the same time that you can intuitively and quickly switch between to perform tasks, functions and get/give/share information in between, while never losing any information, place/state, performance efficiency.

At this, WebOS devices, with the right hardware, appear to be the very best designed around, although, devices with other OS's on them currently aren't being "rejected" by the masses because they aren't as good.. -yet - its my firm oopinion that, in time, users will be doing many more important tasks on their mobile devices and need the smoothest mulltitasking implementation for it... and that's when WebOS devices will rise to the top - right now, for most, smartphones and tablets are still toys and not primary computing devices.. I anticipate that will change significantly, as they work WITH desktop PCs and are literal extensions of them... so multitasking elegance will be a primary characteristic of those devices, at that point.

IMO, of course.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Why do you guys want HP to sue RIM for? If HP did sue RIM, you can then say goodbye to pinch to zoom and card view. Because Apple will sue HP for anything that iOS like.

I use a Pre Plus and waiting for my Playbook from Staples. I don't care who copied who as long as they continue to innovate and provide an excellent and fun user experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainforrest View Post
    Why do you guys want HP to sue RIM for? If HP did sue RIM, you can then say goodbye to pinch to zoom and card view. Because Apple will sue HP for anything that iOS like.

I use a Pre Plus and waiting for my Playbook from Staples. I don't care who copied who as long as they continue to innovate and provide an excellent and fun user experience.
    What does HP suing RIM have to do with Apple? HP has too many patents (palm included) for Apple to bother with.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12