Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    How HP plans to beat the iPad - Video - Technology

I have to say, at the very end of the video, is probably the best quote. "No disrespect to my friends at Apple, they do a very good job, but they invented the PC. For a very long time, they had a very large market share in the PC market. Look at them today." Thats not a direct quote, but close. Discuss!
    Watched the video and I still don't see the advantages besides .."touch to share"..

For me the UI is the best feature against apple. I see HP sitting in 5th place for the next 5 years. (behind Android, Apple, Blackberry, and Microsoft)

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Hp needs to realize this, but they are working hard on launching devices. I hope they work hard at differentiating and filling in missing features. For instance, password saving in browser, access to files in browser so one can upload photos to social sites, docs to blackboard and school/work sites, and videos to wherever. Browser also needs better way to scroll through text boxes. I'd say browser needs to be top notch as it is a tablets main use in many cases.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Watched the video and I still don't see the advantages besides .."touch to share"..

For me the UI is the best feature against apple. I see HP sitting in 5th place for the next 5 years. (behind Android, Apple, Blackberry, and Microsoft)
    I don't know if Blackberry is better and will sell more products then HP, but I do agree HP wont sell more then Google, Apple and Microsoft.

Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    Hp needs to realize this, but they are working hard on launching devices. I hope they work hard at differentiating and filling in missing features. For instance, password saving in browser, access to files in browser so one can upload photos to social sites, docs to blackboard and school/work sites, and videos to wherever. Browser also needs better way to scroll through text boxes. I'd say browser needs to be top notch as it is a tablets main use in many cases.
    I noticed on my iPhone you can't scroll in text fields. I assume this could be a problem with webkit maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    I don't know if Blackberry is better and will sell more products then HP, but I do agree HP wont sell more then Google, Apple and Microsoft.

I noticed on my iPhone you can't scroll in text fields. I assume this could be a problem with webkit maybe?
    You can scroll by selecting text within a text box (when the magnifying glass pops up).
    I think it is probably irrelevant ... By the time HP can get everything working, based on their track record, everyone else will have copied the high value features of webOS. Multi-tasking is over-rated and not that important to the masses. It will even be interesting to see if webOS is acceptable to business users. They currently have a long way to go and RIM owns that market although Apple has made surprising inroads ...
    Quote Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
    I think it is probably irrelevant ... By the time HP can get everything working, based on their track record, everyone else will have copied the high value features of webOS. Multi-tasking is over-rated and not that important to the masses. It will even be interesting to see if webOS is acceptable to business users. They currently have a long way to go and RIM owns that market although Apple has made surprising inroads ...
    i think webOS multitasking is one of those features that people dont know they need until they've experienced it. going to android from a pre has been frustrating for me because apps dont always return to the state i left them in and sometimes they close without my consent. but if i'd been an android user all along, i probably wouldnt have a problem with it. it's a tough sell and i agree, HP/Palm should have been pushing WebOS other unique features
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    ....going to android from a pre has been frustrating for me because apps dont always return to the state i left them in and sometimes they close without my consent...
    What app did not return where you left off? What phone do you have? What version of Android? Is it reproducible? Can you tell us the steps to see if anyone else can replicate your glitch?

With Android you can be posting in a forum with Tapatalk, go look at an email notification and attached document and start a reply, look up something on the Internet, reply to a text that comes in, finish the email right where you left off, and the finish the post, all while listening to music. And never lose anything.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 04/18/2011 at 10:26 AM.
    i replicate this issue multiple times a day. sometimes when i return to my browser it restarts instead of picking up where i left off. same goes for games angry birds. same goes for texts messages i'd started but hadnt sent. this appears to happens when there has been a decent amount of time between starting a process and returning to it or if i'd used a number of different apps before returning to it. couple this with the fact that many my favorite apps are always needing to be forced close (swiftkey, words with friends, are the main culprits) its pretty frustrating.

i have an epic4g running 2.2.1
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    HP are in a seriously complicated position and it seems they are fully aware of it. Leo's "marathon" comment acknowledges this.

They bought Palm with multiple products under development, an established brand design language and direction. They have to allow investments already made to come to fruition and are surely limited with how much they can just turn upside down, they could just drop a boat load of cash on the Palm GBU but the risk is real. They need to move smartly but I'm sure there are things that are frustratingly not where they would want them to be.

The transition will not be complete for another year or 2 in my view.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    Quote Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
    Multi-tasking is over-rated and not that important to the masses.
    I don't think HP cares what the masses think. HP is focused on Prosumers. Business users. All this despite HP saying webOS is for consumers, windows for enterprise.

But Leo knows better. He's said so more than once he sees the consumer driven devices moving into business. It's what Apple did. It's what android did. Both of which are putting a hurt on RIM, whose market is exactly what HP seems to be after. But you have to do the work on the consumer side first to hit that market.

As with moving on from Sprint before Palm (or its pre's and webOS) were really ready though, HP wants to do the same here. Similarly neither HP or Palm established anything on the consumer side before moving on in to the business side.

Leo said it's a marathon. But to do well in marathons, you pace yourself. You don't start out running at full speed trying to hit all at once with multiple form factors and ruling the world with as many carriers as possible. I would say more of a consumer focus is needed but utilize your strengths later to push into business. This is a time to build, to brand, to set the foundation.
    Everybody raves about multi-tasking on webOS. I've been using my Pre minus for long time I am wondering where this terrific multi-tasking is hiding. When I have several apps open it usually slows my phone down. Also, if I open a browser page and switch to another card before the page fully loads, then the page doesn't continue loading. It sure doesn't seem to me like my web pages are refreshing when I'm working on another screen.

The thing that is done right is how the phone handles the navigation app and the music player while I take calls or switch to another app (although music player is not in same league at Apple's). Listening to podcasts streaming from the internet is almost impossible and constantly hangs up.

HP is so far from beating apple it's pathetic.
    Just a matter of time before being banned - simply because I recognize that HP is killing WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by bosabilene View Post
    Everybody raves about multi-tasking on webOS. I've been using my Pre minus for long time I am wondering where this terrific multi-tasking is hiding. When I have several apps open it usually slows my phone down. Also, if I open a browser page and switch to another card before the page fully loads, then the page doesn't continue loading. It sure doesn't seem to me like my web pages are refreshing when I'm working on another screen.

The thing that is done right is how the phone handles the navigation app and the music player while I take calls or switch to another app (although music player is not in same league at Apple's). Listening to podcasts streaming from the internet is almost impossible and constantly hangs up.

One question, is your phone not over clocked?

While I'll agree the Pre isn't that great music wise, don't praise Apple as itunes isn't that great itself. It is just used by so many sheep that it became a staple...
    bosabiline, I have a Pixi Plus...and even on that I am often using multitasking. I've used my brother's iPhone, and it is very difficult and clunky to go between apps. That very much slows me down. Plus, I think in iOS you can only do 1 thing at a time in the email app, whereas I do find myself looking at or replying to more than 1 email at a time.

Yes HP has a long way to go, I'm not sure they can do it...but the multitasking and UI is way better than apple.
    Apples music player is the best. Then Webos. Then Android.

You start to not care about cards again. At first I hated android then in a few months it actually felt weird (and slow) when using webos.

I just don't want to beta test a phone/OS again. Ill wait a few years and then see what comes up. (though I will have hundreds of free android apps if Amazon keeps up the daily giveaways!!)

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by bosabilene View Post

this is an example of having a vision but not executing it right. had apple come up with the card multitasking metaphor, they would have either included enough ram to suport the feature or only allowed users to simultaneosly open a set number or cards. we probably would complain about apple insistance on controlling our work flows, but apple would have won by virtue of having a consistant, predictable, and reliable product.

webOS multitasking is not a myth tho. all devices since the pre- are without the issues you've mentioned. presumably future products will be also. and my overclocked pre- didnt have this problem either. (i'm aware that expecting users to overclock their phones is unacceptable, i'm just sayin it is possible to improve your experience)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post

While I'll agree the Pre isn't that great music wise, don't praise Apple as itunes isn't that great itself. It is just used by so many sheep that it became a staple...
    Yes, my phone is overclocked most of time.

itunes has it's issue, especially what I would describe at the totalinarianism of Apple. Aside from from that, it runs smooth and reliably.

I've been on a month-long rant about HP. I'm mostly bothered because this webOS platform has HUGE potential and they appear to be working hard to kill it.
    Just a matter of time before being banned - simply because I recognize that HP is killing WebOS.
    A picture's worth a thousand words.

Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    A picture's worth a thousand words.

"HP, in a bold move to beat apple, has now opted to include blenders into each and every webOS device.
    HP's CEO, Leo Apotheker was quoted "things are about to get juicy!" while Apple's CEO Steve Jobs chose to refuse an interview with us on the matter and is rumoured to be researching a way to plate his favourite fruit with unibody aluminium armour"
    O2 UK Pre Plus, Official (German) ROW webOS 2.1
    multitasking is not that important to me. i rarely use more then one app at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I don't think HP cares what the masses think.
    that stinks cause i'm pretty much with the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post

works great for transfering songs, playlists, and podcasts from my desktop to my ipod which is something sorely missing from other platforms. plus it looks clean. damn slow and a resource hog though. besides i wouldn't compare pre to itunes in terms of music players. i'd compare pres to iphones cause they are both phones.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast