Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    wife just came home and said she tried out a new playbook and it "runs webos". I told her no. She said "yes, webos, blackberry rep said so".

hp really needs to do something about this. this is gonna cause a problem with touchpad sales.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    autschn ^^
    oh those wifes say the darnedest things! Someone should collect them and make a book out of them. Oh, wait..
    i would go back to the store she was at and say something like .. so.... this is webOS ay ?!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I must say, when I looked at the Playbook, it did SO look like some sort of WebOS interface, with all those "cards" stacked next to eachother and swiping them back n forth.

Personally, I think HP is waiting to see how it does in the market, and if it does well, then they will sue them; I don't think anyone could look at that implementation and NOT see it as a direct copy of a WebOS-specific GUI feature.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    I must say, when I looked at the Playbook, it did SO look like some sort of WebOS interface, with all those "cards" stacked next to eachother and swiping them back n forth.

Personally, I think HP is waiting to see how it does in the market, and if it does well, then they will sue them; I don't think anyone could look at that implementation and NOT see it as a direct copy of a WebOS-specific GUI feature.

they need to do something. it wont help if everyone thinks "webos" flopped when it wasnt really webos.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    It's really a sad state of training for a salesperson to say that it's running webOS... Or he was just wishful thinking!
    No different than the average mom calling the typical Android device an iPhone.
    general population = ill-informed. it's to-be-expected, unfortunately. in those types of situations, i generally just make a short, succinct statement to clarify things.

"The PlayBook uses a different OS, that copies much of the interaction that you see, from webOS"

"The new Windows multitasking card copies the card-multitasking metaphor from palm's webOS, which was released in 2009"

"Palm's multitasking card metaphor copied the browser-card from the iPhone's web browser and extended to create a true multitasking user interaction in webOS. That multitasking card metaphor then was copied by RIM and Microsoft to use on their mobile OSes"

It sucks from an intellectual-property perspective that everyone is copying everyone else, but in the end we all reap the benefits. Pointing out facts without judgments allows your message to go further. Hope that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    i would go back to the store she was at and say something like .. so.... this is webOS ay ?!
    for the record... It's "eh" ....
    So if Canadian's say "eh" and Mexicans say "si", logic dictates Americans must say "bee"....but that's a whole different thread altogether
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    wife just came home and said she tried out a new playbook and it "runs webos". I told her no. She said "yes, webos, blackberry rep said so".

hp really needs to do something about this. this is gonna cause a problem with touchpad sales.
    LOL thats just so funny, I am sorry.
    I say it's great.. at least one tablet has gestures

Did she bring up owning a webos phone? I could see the sales guy saying it's "like" WebOS if she had prior experience.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    for the record... It's "eh" ....
    So if Canadian's say "eh" and Mexicans say "si", logic dictates Americans must say "bee"....but that's a whole different thread altogether
    what ?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Maybe the Playbook will help sell Pre's so people can get the full webOS experience
    I went to play poker with some friends and I realized that we were playing with cards. Suspicious, I looked a little closer and sure enough, recognized the all too familiar interface from webOS. I believe that Bicycle Playing Cards is ripping off Palm's IP and they should sue.

Guys, I love cards, but they belong to Palm about as much as the term "app store" belongs to Apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    Guys, I love cards, but they belong to Palm about as much as the term "app store" belongs to Apple.
    Or "Windows" belongs to Microsoft ...
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Or "Windows" belongs to Microsoft ...
    err that one would belong to apple too actually
    This is the only time I've heard of a rep actually remembering what webOS is...

That is actually my biggest concern now that the Touchpad is out: people will confuse one for the other because of cards. "Hey, it's like the Playbook!" "No... It's like the Palm Pre that came out over two years ago(!!!) ..."

With all the bad reviews coming out about the Touchpad, getting your product confused with it could be a bad thing.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    With all the bad reviews coming out about the Touchpad, getting your product confused with it could be a bad thing.
    I think you confused the Touchpad with the Playbook right there. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    you meant to say Playbook right? Getting confused? (edit: somone beat me to it )

It will happen... the Playbook has been getting a lot of press and if they advertise enough, people will associate 'Playbook' with the neg review... and also style with the UI.

When Touchpad comes out and sees WebOS, you know many will say they copied RIMM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast