Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Business Insider: The Reviews of the BlackBerry PlayBook are Unbelievably Bad
    "Almost every single review we've read says in short: Don't buy it."

New York Times: A BlackBerry Tablet, but Where Are the Apps?
    "...For now, the PlayBookís motto might be, ĎThereís no app for thatí."

"The PlayBook, then, is convenient, fast and coherently designed. But in its current half-baked form, it seems almost silly to try to assess it, let alone buy it."

"Remember, the primary competition is an iPad ó the same price, but much thinner, much bigger screen and a library of 300,000 apps. In that light, does it make sense to buy a fledgling tablet with no built-in e-mail or calendar, no cellular connection, no video chat, no Skype, no Notes app, no GPS app, no videochat, no Pandora radio and no Angry Birds?"

Business Insider: The BlackBerry PlayBook Is A Huge Disappointment So Far
    "It's as if there is no one at RIM who has the power/stones to say, 'This isn't good enough. Re-do it and make it much better.'"

PCWorld: BlackBerry PlayBook Gets Panned by Reviewers
    "...it's not ready for prime time."

Financial Post: RIM's BlackBerry PlayBook underwhelms in early reviews
    "Unfortunately for RIM, the consensus seems to be that RIMís PlayBook is a bit underwhelming."

Wired: BlackBerry Playbook Tablet Lacks All the Right Moves
    "...you may want to think twice before picking one up."

Gizmodo BlackBerry PlayBook Review
    "...I don't think anyone should buy it right now..."

Wall Street Journal ATD: Overreactor Meltdown: RIMís Lazaridis Blows Again
    "...I donít fully understand why thereís this negative sentiment, and I just donít have the time to battle it..."

Wall Street Journal: PlayBook: A Tablet With a Case Of Codependency
    "This first edition of the PlayBook has no built-in cellular data connection and lacks such basic built-in apps as an email program, a contacts program, a calendar, a memo pad and even RIMís popular BlackBerry Messenger chat system...although the PlayBook has very nice front and rear cameras, it comes without video-chatting software."

Quanta is the actual maker of the Playbook:
    Quanta Computer expected to see booming shipments of PlayBook
    ‎"Although most market watchers believe RIM's total PlayBook sales will reach only about 4-5 million units in 2011, since RIM plans to at least order an average of 800,000 units each month in the second half of 2011, the company will have a great chance of having annual sales surpass market watchers' expectations."

RIM's Future: Microsoft, HP, RIM Could Lose Out‎ (Gartner)

An almost positive review: Engadget: BlackBerry PlayBook Review
    "Like webOS? If so, you're going to love what's hiding under the PlayBook's (healthy) bezels...ultimately, we have a tablet that's trying really hard to please the enterprise set but, in doing so, seems to be alienating casual users who might just want a really great seven-inch tablet."

Here is a positive Review! PlayBook Tablet Makes Dull BlackBerry Cool Again
    Check it out. If nothing else to see the worst toupee on a 60-year-old ever.

CrackBerry is not as positive: CrackBerry BlackBerry PlayBook Review
    "So did the BlackBerry PlayBook hit the ball straight out of the park? Not quite."
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 04/14/2011 at 10:53 AM.
    Guess that's why HP/Palm really didn't say much about the playbook. They knew this thing was a pos, now everyone knows. OS looks ok but the price for a 7" screen isn't justified and lack of integration is terrible. Its like the Thunderbolt having a camera for video chat but it doesn't ship with a video chat client, doa if you ask me.

Can't wait for TouchPad!!!!
    • Currently a lack of quality apps in App World for the PlayBook
    But that's ok because people need only certain "core" apps to keep them happy....isn't that the current way of thinking?

(Certain "core" apps like a phone dialer that's stretched to fit the tablet screen, for example )
    Hey HP..... I'm sticking with you, for now, but sure hope you take this point in, and either have some wild and fantastical plan to circumvent this tiny issue
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2Ę about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    This is not surprising at all. It's missing too much. Even their implementation of the cards style just doesn't seem right. The device is not sexy. The small screen looks too polluted and is taking up too much real estate. Nothing about it is appealing to me. Not even a little bit.

Just my 2cents.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    So, is it any good then?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Put a fork in RIM. The only interesting thing left to discuss really is what platform RIM should move to.
    Interesting...

BTW, which is worse...not talking about what you plan to offer or talking all about it, look how cool we are, and then fixing problems later?

Seems to be the way RIM is heading and I just hope and pray HP gets their ducks in a row and brings back Gesture Areas (you still have time HP). Sorli...
  8.    #8  
    My favorite quote is this:

Wall Street Journal ATD: Overreactor Meltdown: RIM’s Lazaridis Blows Again
    "...I don’t fully understand why there’s this negative sentiment, and I just don’t have the time to battle it..."

Engineering is no match for stupidity.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Put a fork in RIM. The only interesting thing left to discuss really is what platform RIM should move to.
    RIM has already announced that they will run Android Honeycomb apps so that decision has already been made.

The real question is will they be able to get over to Android before they completely auger in?

A complete failure of the PlayBook may be the best thing for RIM. It would make it clear that they have to jump right now.

The worst thing that could happen to RIM would be for the PlayBook to have some glimmer of hope. They would cling to that hope like a drowning rat. Any success with the PlayBook can only hurt RIM by delaying their revivial.

Until RIM can bottom out, they can't get better.
    Well, it's not really a surprise, I mean sure there are millions of BB users (they're stil #2) but to target a device SPECIFICALLY for one market does seem very shortsighted. Think of what Apple's world would be like now if they never ported Itunes to PC (as it was initially) With Macs at 10% of the market, how many could they have sold. W/o iTunes, they would've lost the only advantage over the superior players of the day (Apple did not invent the digital PMP)

But here we have RIM basically doing just that saying ("We don't need to sell to any Android users, we can do just fine w/o them") It's very arrogant and despite their using AOS apps to bolster their catalogs...you STILL have no native PIM! What good will Androids third party apps do with NO CONTACTS ON THE TABLET TO USE THEM WITH!!
    to me it looks like they have the foundations of a very nice OS. Trouble is there's too much missing. Most reviews say its only worth considering if you have a BB already. Lets face it there's a ton more of these than palm users right now. If they can get some core support from current BB users it might buy them the time they need to fill in the gaps, get more apps and fulfill the latent potential that most reviewers seem to think is there. I for one wish them luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    How is the RIM strategy any different from HP's touch to share strategy which requires a Touchpad and a Palm smartphone to work?
    the touchpad isnt crippled without tts. Tts is a bit like exhibition, it gives you a small nudge toward buying another HP product. I.e the touchstone and pre3 respectively.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    How is RIM's strategy of marrying a Blackberry with a Playbook any different from HP's touch to share and "seamless" integration strategy which requires a Touchpad and a Palm smartphone to work? At least there are a zillion Blackberries out there to connect with a Playbook. There aren't very many HP smartphones out there to connect to a Touchpad.
    Playbook has "currently" No native email/calendar/contacts basically any PIM functionality unless you use a blackberry. They also don't have ANY 3rd party replacements like android has. The native apps will arrive with a future update at an unannounced date. To sum it up if Xoom was rushed to the market this seems doubly so considering it was announced back in September of 2010.

HP on the other hand is doing augmentation i.e. if you have a Pre3 or Veer you can receive texts/sms/phone calls on the tablet itself and never need to pick up the phone (while working on the tablet). TTS is also there to make sure the move from using a Phone to tablet or vice versa is seamless.

The two approaches are vastly different.
    And we wonder why HP is waiting to release the HP TouchPad, instead of releasing a half-baked product and get reviews like this. It's so sad because I actually had high hopes for the PlayBook.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    I'm still planning on getting the playbook, the software issues are promised to be fixed in updates (Added core apps and a more robust app catalog).

The price is right IMO. The only issue I can envision with hardware is the on/off button, and with a 7-11 hour battery life turning the device off shouldn't be a problem.

How is RIM's strategy of marrying a Blackberry with a Playbook any different from HP's touch to share and "seamless" integration strategy which requires a Touchpad and a Palm smartphone to work? At least there are a zillion Blackberries out there to connect with a Playbook. There aren't very many HP smartphones out there to connect to a Touchpad.
    +100
    Again, core apps are coming to the Playbook in an update, but I do see the dilemma here for HPalm because they're planning on doing the same thing when it comes to tethering text messaging and phone abilities to the tablet.

Apps shouldn't be a problem. I keep hearing people complaining about its "lack of apps" when Honeycomb is in a similar predicament when it comes to apps.

Having a fixed focus camera is kinda drawback to me, and hearing that the OS is meant for a more casual experience (Not as speedy as webOS) is another, but these are minor issues in my opinion.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    Playbook has "currently" No native email/calendar/contacts basically any PIM functionality unless you use a blackberry. They also don't have ANY 3rd party replacements like android has. The native apps will arrive with a future update at an unannounced date. To sum it up if Xoom was rushed to the market this seems doubly so considering it was announced back in September of 2010.

HP on the other hand is doing augmentation i.e. if you have a Pre3 or Veer you can receive texts/sms/phone calls on the tablet itself and never need to pick up the phone (while working on the tablet). TTS is also there to make sure the move from using a Phone to tablet or vice versa is seamless.

The two approaches are vastly different.
    I bet RIM will have those "core" apps on the Playbook before the TouchPad comes out.
    Also, what you said about "argumentation"...The Playbook does the EXACT same thing, except without touch-to-share.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    I definitely hope HP doesn't disappoint with the TouchPad's launch. They're doing the right thing by waiting to launch it until it's ready. The only thing to be seen is if it will really be ready by then.

If the TouchPad is launched and everyone percieves it as a complete device, it won't matter how many half-baked entries came into the market beforehand
    I hope the PlayBook doesn't crash and burn as spectacularly as it looks like it's going to, if only for the reason that the hardware is absolutely beautiful and the UI looks gorgeous. It's just too bad that they are releasing it so early. Android did this, BB is doing this... HP may even have a chance now!
    I've had a moment to read through some of those reviews and all I can say is...ouch. Man, they got hammered pretty hard.

We are supposed to be getting some units to trial at my job so hopefully I'll get some hands on with it soon to see how it cracks up.
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    I hope the PlayBook doesn't crash and burn as spectacularly as it looks like it's going to, if only for the reason that the hardware is absolutely beautiful and the UI looks gorgeous. It's just too bad that they are releasing it so early. Android did this, BB is doing this... HP may even have a chance now!
    I think they'll be fine. And don't forget, the PlayBook with 4G will come out a few months later which will then obviously be reviewed again. Provided that RIM will be able to make all the needed improvements in these few months (I'm sure they'll do everything they can to make that happen) reviewers will notice these improvements and mention them.

I'm convinced RIM fully expected to take a beating on most of the issues raised by all reviews. Still, by putting it out there right now rather than continuing to polish at least they get it in front of a larger real-world audience which will help ironing out the kinks enormously.

I expect that by the time the TouchPad is in stores it will have matured a lot already and it won't be easy for people to choose between the two.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast