Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    why wouldn't an ipad or other tablet be able to play 1080p files? Of course it would be played at a lower resolution, but they should play just fine... Or am I missing something?
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    why wouldn't an ipad or other tablet be able to play 1080p files? Of course it would be played at a lower resolution, but they should play just fine... Or am I missing something?
    CPU limitations --- Tegra 2 cannot decode 1080p H.264 High Profile files. Nobody knows what's inside the A5 CPU --- but Apple doesn't have 1080p videos on itunes for rent (720p only), so they probably didn't spend the money to include the silicon needed for 1080p H.264 High Profile playback.

It takes a lot of CPU power to decode 1080p H.264 High Profile movies. Playbook went from 9 hour battery life playing 720p movies down to 6 hours battery life playing 1080p H.264 High Profile movies.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4266/b...book-review/18
    Lets not forget

Quote Originally Posted by engadget
    We're not sure why this was never mentioned before the BlackBerry Playbook launch, but it looks like AT&T customers opting for RIM's new tablet won't be able to take advantage of one key feature, at least officially. For reasons yet unknown, AT&T appears to be blocking folks from downloading BlackBerry Bridge to their BlackBerry smartphones, with the speculation being that it doesn't like the free tethering the Playbook enables. As the folks at CrackBerry have discovered, however, AT&T is only blocking the Bridge app, not the actual Bridge process -- which means you can still download the app though unofficial means and Bridge your AT&T BlackBerry to your Playbook. Here's hoping AT&T figures out a workaround of its own sooner rather than later.
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/19/b...n-atandt-unof/

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Besides browsing the web, what else can you do now? Also, what types of updates are you getting? I'm asking becuase I may start seeing these roll into work next week.

Thanks
    Here are some videos of the PB: http://crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-videos

The updates have been for bug fixes and improved system performance.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KAPS View Post
    Lusty Design: You don't get the meaning of lusty it seems, the meaning is "Lustful" and Playbook is just plain boring. Please Don't ever compare Playbook with IPad2, which is the King, in term of design of the product.
    People don't seem to appreciate the substance of things.
    I like the iPad's design, but the Playbook has a really nice form factor and hardware as well. And I'm not talking about comparing specs (But even if you compare specs the Playbook is better...). Just because the iPad 2 is .1" thinner doesn't mean anything. 2 millimeters doesn't really matter, and that's why a lot of people here are still eagerly awaiting the Touchpad, which is even thicker than the Playbook.

I like these two reviews:
    24 Hours With the BlackBerry PlayBook - PCWorld
    BlackBerry Playbook: What the Reviewers Are Saying - Seeking Alpha

I think its funny the discrepancies with the battery life from various reviewers: Some say 5 and a half hours of battery life, others say 8 to 10, and Josh T. actually said it got a little over 11 hours of video playback for him.
    Last edited by JLegacy; 04/22/2011 at 05:13 PM.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KAPS View Post
    I don't think, what WebOS is doing and what RIM is going to do in terms of apps are the same. In Blackberry case they are telling that Android apps will run in the vmware type of software but in Webos it is a native apps.
    You are going to have thousands of real native apps (not hundred of thousands) for both the Playbook and the TouchPad. What you are talking about are apps beyond that number.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    I think its funny the discrepancies with the battery life from various reviewers: Some say 5 and a half hours of battery life, others say 8 to 10, and Josh T. actually said it got a little over 11 hours of video playback for him.
    CPU's are often a lot more optimized for the latest stuff and not the earlier stuff. For example, quite a few wifi routers have much lower throughput if you use the broken WEP encryption method. Your wifi router actually gives you higher throughput if you use WPA2/AES encryption (which is a lot more CPU intensive than the WEP encryption). The reason? All these routers have CPU's that have hardware accel. for AES.

You give these tablets a movie that is encoded in divx 5, it is going to eat a lot of CPU power because these CPU's are optimized for h.264.
    The pcworld review is really interesting because he loves the multitasking ("the Playbook has no equal' )and the 7 inch form is what he wants. Plus he's not an "app junkie."
    Yet still he is returning the device.

Breaking down his complaints:

He loves the multitasking and gestures but is disappointed because it doesn't have the apps he wants: twitter, email,video, a few good games, Skype etc.
    Plus using the browser as a substitute isn't satisfactory because Flash doesn't work well.

He loves the hardware size. But the bevel is too large to put the device in his pocket. And the hardware is too heavy to hold for long periods of time.

With these comments from someone who loves the multitasking, I'm seeing a tough path for the TouchPad. It really has to score on apps because already the hardware is heavier than the ipad2.

24 Hours With the BlackBerry PlayBook - Yahoo! News
    Why would anyone want to put a tablet in their pocket?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Why would anyone want to put a tablet in their pocket?
    Coat pocket. He probably doesn't want to carry a knapsack or briefcase, that's why he wants the 7 inch.
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    I still don't get it why did RIM launched an unfinished product.
    And all those RIM *******, till they don't deliver on their promise of Email,Calendar and contact app by 60 days, Playbook is no use for non blackberry user.
    And who knows by the 60th day we would have tens of Android Tablet running on optimized Honeycomb version and hopefully Touchpad running on webos 3.0.
    That time the normal people will just choose Touchpad and other tablet over Playbook, as in many people minds the first impression is the last impression.
    I am waiting for the horrible sales figures of this the horrible device ie Playbook, so that all the Blackberry ******* would then keep their mouth shut.
    RIP RIM.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    RIM can sell it because there are enough of a captive audience. They haven't even market the Playbook to the general population yet --- not a single tv ad --- and they probably won't until they got the native email app done.

What's with all that hatred? Because nobody here agreed with you that it was a "bug"?
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Interesting...

BTW, which is worse...not talking about what you plan to offer or talking all about it, look how cool we are, and then fixing problems later?

Seems to be the way RIM is heading and I just hope and pray HP gets their ducks in a row and brings back Gesture Areas (you still have time HP). Sorli...
    Amen...it's gestures that got me hooked on the Pre. I do not want to go back in time!
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    Amen...it's gestures that got me hooked on the Pre. I do not want to go back in time!
    I'm hoping for gestures on the screen. Multitouch is there. What about a three finger swipe left or right to change between the apps and a two finger swipe left and right for back and forward? Simple and easily done without the need of implementing a gesture bar.
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    RIM can sell it because there are enough of a captive audience. They haven't even market the Playbook to the general population yet --- not a single tv ad --- and they probably won't until they got the native email app done.

What's with all that hatred? Because nobody here agreed with you that it was a "bug"?

So you are agreeing this is a half baked product as RIM are not marketing because key features are missing.
    Two month down the line atleast 10 Android tablet running on honeycomb with different sizes will be launched and Playbook will be just another tablet.
    RIP RIM.
    I think to a degree the reviews are unfair. Yes the power button is annoying and quite bad and the lack of PIM is unforgivable but the QNX OS has potential I think. The WebOS gestures, I especially like how they've expanded on the drop down menu concept with the gesture from the top, no settings apps just swipe down from the top, and how that works in context is also very nice. The keyboard is decent with the exception of lack of autocorrection. I also have to say I do think the form factor 7inches is actually an improvement over the 10inch, just more portable, and I'm not blind enough to need anything bigger.
    You can't win anything with "potential".
  18.    #139  
    Joshua Topolsky recently left Engadget to start his own site, thisismynext.com. He has been one of the biggest supporters of Palm and webOS and so I like his work. His Engadget interview from 2011 CES of Matias Duarte, webOS UI architect is a classic. Here is his conclusion about the PlayBook.

BlackBerry PlayBook review | This is my next...
    But the PlayBook isn’t hitting home runs just yet. The OS is still buggy and somewhat touchy. Third-party apps are a desert right now, if not in number, then certainly in quality. The lack of native email and calendar support hurts. The worst part, however, is that I can’t think of a single reason to recommend this tablet over the iPad 2, or for that matter… the Xoom. And that’s what it really boils down to here; what is the compelling feature that will make buyers choose the PlayBook over something else? I don’t have that answer, but that’s not what’s troubling me — what troubles me is that I don’t think RIM has the answer either… and they should by now.

Score: 6/10
    Compare the PlayBook, which is just yet another 7" tablet, with the 10" Asus Transformer, the first tablet with a snap on keyboard making it a netbook:
    PreCentral Article: Asus EeePad Transformer [the competition]

Asus has made some of our past Treo's and other phones and computers for a variety of labels. When you are a year late, you either come up with something amazingly innovative or undercut the established leader's price.

The $399 Transformer did both. The PlayBook did neither.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 04/23/2011 at 09:25 AM.
    Apple has their issues too.

"For the most part, the iPad 2 has received outstanding reviews and demand continues to exceed supply across the country. Some unlucky users have experienced problems, although Apple is quick to respond thanks to the Apple Care warranty included with iPad 2 purchase.

Here's a list of the top 10 bugs, problems and complaints surrounding the iPad 2 since launch:

1. Canceled orders. Apple spontaneously emailed many iPad 2 buyers to let them know a glitch in their system resulted in canceled orders. For those who had a shipping date 2-3 days out and are now facing 3-4 weeks before getting an iPad 2 this is a major bummer. Thankfully, most of the kinks in the system are probably worked out by now.

2. Backlight bleeding. Some iPad 2 displays have light leaks around the edge, or light patches in other places on the screen. These light leaks are not normal and are most obvious when viewing a dark image. You can check your iPad 2 display for defects including light leaks and dead pixels before contacting the Apple Genius Bar for an inspection.

3. Yellowing on screen. Discoloration has also been seen on some iPad 2 displays. Typically this disappears in a few days of use as bonding glue dries after production. Normally devices are not shipped so quickly after manufacturing, so the glue dries before you receive the iPad. Similar problems were seen on the iPhone 4 last year.

4. Wi-Fi issues. Similar to the connection problems experienced by original iPad owners last year, some iPad 2 owners are having problems staying connected to Wi-Fi networks. Firmware updates fixed the issue for most original iPad owners. Unfortunately, iPad 2 units that have dropped Wi-Fi connections already have the latest iOS firmware version 4.3 installed.

5. FaceTime freezing. Apple's video chat software reportedly is prone to freezing up. iPad 2 owners have experienced the app working properly, but then later not taking live video until the iPad is rebooted. An image of the last frame appears frozen in the app when this bug hits.

6. Microphone distortion. There are microphone sound quality differences between iPad 2 models. The 3G + Wi-Fi models feature a mic opening in plastic, while on Wi-Fi only models the mic is surrounded by aluminum. This has been shown to negatively affect sound quality on the 3G-enabled iPad 2.

7. Speaker quirks. A new speaker grille made its way onto the iPad 2, but audio quality is unchanged from the original iPad. Some have complained that the volume is lower, but keep in mind the new speaker design faces slightly backward, not just down. In any case, sometimes the iPad 2 doesn't register when headphones are removed and pipe sound to the speaker. Plugging them back in and unplugging again might help, but if the problem persists see Apple.

8. Mysterious heat. The iPad 2 is a computer, and heavy processing such as video gaming will produce heat in the circuitry and battery. Some warmth is normal, but an excessive amount could indicate a visit to Apple is in order. Thanks to its slimmer design and faster processor, some who have compared the iPad 2 to the original iPad have noted an increase in heat on the new tablet.

9. Poor quality camera. Sure, the front facing camera is expected to be low resolution for FaceTime. But the iPad 2 has a main camera that pales in comparison to current smartphone cameras. Sure it records HD video at 720p, but it snaps still photos at only 960 x 720 resolution. This clocks in at under one megapixel.

10. No improvement in screen resolution. Those looking for a Retina display or any improvement in the clarity of the iPad screen will be disappointed. The iPad 2 sports the exact same resolution as the original iPad.

If you're in the market for an iPad 2, be aware of these concerns now that the initial US launch is complete. As manufacturing problems are corrected less defects should arise. Rest assured that a visit to the Apple Store will resolve any warranty-related issues. For the rest, we'll have to look forward to new specs on the next generation iPad 3."
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast