Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    An email via browser option could work for me as i use gmail and yahoo and browser versions are the ones i am most familiar with. iPad's email is for lack of a better word "functional". My Pre's email has more options (especially with homebrew add ons). When I want to delete or move email I have to put down my ipad and move to my phone or my laptop. A browser based email could really work for my personal use, corporate email on the other hand ....

Can anybody verify if hulu or netflix run in a browser on blackberry? With Kongregate support alone Playbook already has thousands of games available for free that cost money on ios devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    When I want to delete or move email I have to put down my ipad and move to my phone or my laptop.

what do you mean?

My email on the ipad looks just like that on my phone only easier to see groupings of emails.

I delete, drag, drop, edit easily. And any changes I make, it immediately shows up in my outlook or iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    what do you mean?

My email on the ipad looks just like that on my phone only easier to see groupings of emails.

I delete, drag, drop, edit easily. And any changes I make, it immediately shows up in my outlook or iPhone.
    Marking and moving multiple emails is iffy at best on my ipad (latest code 4.3). More often than not it fails. This is with corporate email as well as web based email i.e. gmail and yahoo.

Also, there is no way to mark email as spam or unmark it as spam (which is one of the most common tasks when using email). Another one of my pet peeves is that there is no way to NOT have some email account show up in "all folders". You can't even turn off all folders. I have had to remove accounts from my ipad as the accounts I normally use have too much fluff emails coming in (mailing lists, coupons etc.) Pre has that option to show just the starred folders (under favorites).
    Marking and moving multiple emails is iffy at best on my ipad (latest code 4.3). More often than not it fails. This is with corporate email as well as web based email i.e. gmail and yahoo.

Also, there is no way to mark email as spam or unmark it as spam (which is one of the most common tasks when using email). Another one of my pet peeves is that there is no way to NOT have some email account show up in "all folders". You can't even turn off all folders. I have had to remove accounts from my ipad as the accounts I normally use have too much fluff emails coming in (mailing lists, coupons etc.) Pre has that option to show just the starred folders (under favorites).
    I think you're doing something wrong. I don't have any of those problems. I mark stuff as spam (or unmark) all the time. I have several email boxes I don't use that just stay unopened. Are you saying you want to look at some groupings of emails, and not others? but they are still emails you want access to on the iPad?

I guess I don't understand wanting them on your mobile device, but not wanting them to actually show up. (I get why you'd have an email box you might not want to use, but would just not have it active there so I must be missing something)
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KAPS View Post
    Multitasking is buggy there is no two ways to say it. It doesn't orientate itself properly when new apps are opened, for Example When Tetris opened, all the apps oriented itself to portrait mode even though the device itself was in Landscape mode.
    There is nothing wrong with Playbook's orientation itself, each RIM Playbook app must be individually "rotation-able". Tetris is NOT rotation-able.

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    There is nothing wrong with Playbook's orientation itself, each RIM Playbook app must be individually "rotation-able". Tetris is NOT rotation-able.

Orientation has a problem when Tetris is opened, even though the reviewer had the playbook in landscape mode but the application changed to portrait mode due to Tetris being opened.

Btw some very good news to all RIM haters, AT&T is charging for their stupid bridge. Now Can someone point me to even a single advantage that playbook has over Touchpad.(Even though Touchpad is not released)
    BlackBerry Bridge not available for PlayBook users on AT&T, unofficial workaround available -- Engadget
    I think you're doing something wrong. I don't have any of those problems. I mark stuff as spam (or unmark) all the time. I have several email boxes I don't use that just stay unopened. Are you saying you want to look at some groupings of emails, and not others? but they are still emails you want access to on the iPad?

I guess I don't understand wanting them on your mobile device, but not wanting them to actually show up. (I get why you'd have an email box you might not want to use, but would just not have it active there so I must be missing something)
    How DO you mark something as spam? can you let me know plz.

On my PRE I have a bunch of email accounts (and folders within email accounts) that are marked as Favorites. When an email comes to them I can see it in one glance and open them (or I get a notification about them).

The other account that I use for personal use gets a lot of emails from all the online shops (mailing lists) that is just not important enough for me to go through immediately. I can go in there and read them all later so this account is not marked as favorite and thus I do not get any notification for those. I really disliked the all folders setting as it would mix my non-important email with important email (there is no distinction). I think webOS shows a better understanding of how people would like to use their gadgets than IOS.

As far as you being able to move emails between folders is concerned as i mentioned previously the email app hangs most of the time for me. It has happened often enough that I have resorted to using my PRE or my laptop when I want to do this type of activity.This has been an issue from the first version of IOS for ipad.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Orientation has a problem when Tetris is opened, even though the reviewer had the playbook in landscape mode but the application changed to portrait mode due to Tetris being opened.

Btw some very good news to all RIM haters, AT&T is charging for their stupid bridge. Now Can someone point me to even a single advantage that playbook has over Touchpad.(Even though Touchpad is not released)
    BlackBerry Bridge not available for PlayBook users on AT&T, unofficial workaround available -- Engadget
    As I said it before, Tetris is not rotation sensitive --- there is no landscape mode and no portrait mode. Just like the 3D sample app in the youtube video that I cited. It is EA's job to put in rotation sensitive codes in the Tetris game to make full use of Playbook's abilities.

The native email stuff will come to Playbook in 60 days --- BEFORE the launch of the Touchpad.
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Check this video to see the problem of orientation in Playbook.

Check around 1:30 minutes when Jousha opens Tetris.
    Playbook is a half baked product and it is horrible.
    If Touchpad had the same problem the people here would have been angry on it but as it is RIM it is better.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Check this video to see the problem of orientation in Playbook.

Check around 1:30 minutes when Jousha opens Tetris.
    Playbook is a half baked product and it is horrible.
    If Touchpad had the same problem the people here would have been angry on it but as it is RIM it is better.
    There is NOTHING wrong with the orientation because you are supposed to hold the Playbook upright to play Tetris. If you hold the Playbook upright, then the "bottom" of the playbook becomes the side --- which the side gesture is to go to the next app. Just look at the youtube video I cited, the gestures rotate with the Playbook.
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    There is NOTHING wrong with the orientation because you are supposed to hold the Playbook upright to play Tetris. If you hold the Playbook upright, then the "bottom" of the playbook becomes the side --- which the side gesture is to go to the next app. Just look at the youtube video I cited, the gestures rotate with the Playbook.
    I have posted the pics below to better explain what I was saying.
    Right now the Playbook software is buggy.
    The First pics shouldn't have happened because as soon as you move out from the app the QNX UI should have reorientated itself but due to software issue it didn't.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I just tap the folder icon at the bottom of the email, and send it to my junk folder.

I think I understand what you are asking but I guess its not something I've needed before. I either like looking at all emails, all at once (unified) or selecting a particular email box (only once), depending on my needs. You're asking for something in between that?

How DO you mark something as spam? can you let me know plz.

On my PRE I have a bunch of email accounts (and folders within email accounts) that are marked as Favorites. When an email comes to them I can see it in one glance and open them (or I get a notification about them).

The other account that I use for personal use gets a lot of emails from all the online shops (mailing lists) that is just not important enough for me to go through immediately. I can go in there and read them all later so this account is not marked as favorite and thus I do not get any notification for those. I really disliked the all folders setting as it would mix my non-important email with important email (there is no distinction). I think webOS shows a better understanding of how people would like to use their gadgets than IOS.

As far as you being able to move emails between folders is concerned as i mentioned previously the email app hangs most of the time for me. It has happened often enough that I have resorted to using my PRE or my laptop when I want to do this type of activity.This has been an issue from the first version of IOS for ipad.
    I just tap the folder icon at the bottom of the email, and send it to my junk folder.

I think I understand what you are asking but I guess its not something I've needed before. I either like looking at all emails, all at once (unified) or selecting a particular email box (only once), depending on my needs. You're asking for something in between that?
    To answer your question yes, going one way or the other is not always the best option IMHO. I like webOS because there are little touches like these in nearly every native app even without homebrew).

Getting back to just moving an email to junk/spam folder I am not sure if it actually marks the sender as spam. I want to make sure that they are actually marked so future emails can be automatically filed in the spam folder. Granted webOS doesn't yet allow me to do that (explicitly) either. It has the same option of moving an email to junk folder, individually, however, it has been faster and more reliable in operation than my ipad with multiple emails selected.
    Last edited by sapient2k7; 04/19/2011 at 01:13 PM. Reason: spelling
    To answer your question yes, going one way or the other is not always the best option IMHO. I like webOS because there are little touches like these in nearly every native app even without homebrew).

Getting back to just moving an email to junk/spam folder I am not sure if it actually marks the sender as spam. I want to make sure that they are actually marked so future emails can be automatically filed in the spam folder. Granted webOS doesn't yet allow me to do that (explicitly) either. It has the same option of moving an email to junk folder, individually, however, it has been faster and more reliable in operation than my ipad with multiple emails selected.
    Anything in my junk folder is marked as spam. Are you sure its not a function of your mail provider? iOS (or webOS) is just the tool.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    I have posted the pics below to better explain what I was saying.
    Right now the Playbook software is buggy.
    The First pics shouldn't have happened because as soon as you move out from the app the QNX UI should have reorientated itself but due to software issue it didn't.
    There is nothing wrong with the OS --- it performed as it was supposed to do.

What you have here is the Tetris app is not rotation sensitive, but the Weather app is rotation sensitive. It is orientated correctly --- the Playbook was placed horizontally, the accelerometer detected the Playbook to be in landscape mode, and the Weather app is in landscape mode.

It is not the fault of the OS --- it performed as exactly as design. It is the fault of EA for making the Tetris app not rotation sensitive.

It may be the fault of RIM/QNX for not writing UI guidelines for third party developers --- but that is very different from your view that the code is buggy. The code is not buggy, it performed perfectly.
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    There is nothing wrong with the OS --- it performed as it was supposed to do.

What you have here is the Tetris app is not rotation sensitive, but the Weather app is rotation sensitive. It is orientated correctly --- the Playbook was placed horizontally, the accelerometer detected the Playbook to be in landscape mode, and the Weather app is in landscape mode.

It is not the fault of the OS --- it performed as exactly as design. It is the fault of EA for making the Tetris app not rotation sensitive.

It may be the fault of RIM/QNX for not writing UI guidelines for third party developers --- but that is very different from your view that the code is buggy. The code is not buggy, it performed perfectly.
    Hey man please see the video, as in it Jousha doesn't rotate the screen and still the software thinks the screen rotated. Hear Jousha speaks and you will get my point.
    I just saw jimmy kimmel open his show with a Playbook endorsement. That will sell a few!
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Hey man please see the video, as in it Jousha doesn't rotate the screen and still the software thinks the screen rotated. Hear Jousha speaks and you will get my point.
    That's because the Tetris app itself is not a rotation sensitive app --- even though it can only play vertically. It was a quick and dirty port job by the EA people. Because you can only play the Tetris game in a vertical setup, RIM decided to force the "swapping apps" gesture on the long edges of the playbook.

Whenever the user is in a non-rotation sensitive, vertically only app FULL SCREEN, RIM decided to force the gestures to work in portrait mode (i.e. long edges for swapping apps, short "top" edge for contexual menu) --- REGARDLESS of whether you are actully holding the Playbook horizontally or vertically. You can argue that the way that RIM decided to implement these UI "exceptions" for non-rotation sensitive apps --- may be confusing, or may be inconsistent with their overall UI design. But the one thing that you can't argue is that this was a bug. It wasn't a bug, it performed exactly the way intended by RIM.
    Yeah, samab isn't "getting" it. Irregardless of whether Tetris itself does not change orientation, the PLAYBOOK UI should NOT flip 90 unless the ACCELEROMETER detects and transmits rotation 90 to the left or right. THAT is the major bug being referred to by KAPS. The app can do whatever the developer programmed it to do but that has nothing to with the OS UI.

Think of it this way, Videos on the Pre only play in landscape. If I minimize a video with the Pre held vertically (portrait) and open the browser, it should display the browser vertically because the PHONE and hence the ACCELEROMETER is in vertical orientation. Why would my browser (or the FB app) show in landscape (i.e. horizontal) orientation because of what an app does...??
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Yeah, samab isn't "getting" it. Irregardless of whether Tetris itself does not change orientation, the PLAYBOOK UI should NOT flip 90 unless the ACCELEROMETER detects and transmits rotation 90 to the left or right. THAT is the major bug being referred to by KAPS. The app can do whatever the developer programmed it to do but that has nothing to with the OS UI.

Think of it this way, Videos on the Pre only play in landscape. If I minimize a video with the Pre held vertically and open the browser, it should display the browser horizontally because the PHONE and hence the ACCELEROMETER is in vertical orientation. Why would my browser (or the FB app) show in landscape (i.e. horizontal) orientation because of what an app does...??
    You don't "get" it. RIM made a UI "exception" decision.

You don't have to like or even agree with the decision itself. That's just the way RIM chose to implement these exceptions. It works as intended, not a bug. You don't have to like it, but it's not a bug.