Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Now I will give you it won't have tons of apps -- but I am sure it will have the core apps (unlike the playbook, might I add) but the rest of what you said (minus plastic and thickness) is pure speculation. Why would u say it be slow? Look at the Veer, its fast. Battery life horrible? I remember someone saying the playbook would have horrible battery life. Last time I checked it lasts eleven hours (according to ex editor of engdget, josh). So I won't say that just yet.so are you saying it won't have email at launch? Wait -- hp won't make that mistake, unlike RIM. Sorry, next time please say actual crtisims like waiting is a bad thing. But looking at the xoom and playbook -- both unfinished products -- maybe waiting is not a bad thing.
    As for speed, the following video is showing a later (prob. not the latest) version of WOS3.0 running very fast and really smooth.

Assumptions are really not good for anybody...
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    In about three years, RIM will be bought out by Google.
    If RIM is to be bought out --- then the most logical buyer would be Cisco, which would finally kill off all the 10000 different operating systems the Cisco has and unify their whole operating system down to IOS-XR (which is QNX based).
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    The PlayBook has Android Apps the same way it has Email, Messaging, Calendar, Contacts, Notes, 3G, 4G, Video chat, Skype, GPS, Pandora, and Angry Birds:

"Soon..."

At this point I think a reporter could ask about any feature and be told that it too will be coming soon.

But right now, today, the PlayBook does not have the basic features my Treo 600 had in 2003.

Look at how all the features promised last fall for Windows Mobile 7 phones worked out. They were all coming "soon".

Some devices are bought on credit.

The Playbook will be bought on faith.
    Soon --- means 60 days (end of June). In order for RIM to launch 3G and 4G versions of Playbook, they HAVE TO MAKE native email to work natively without bridging to a blackberry handset.

Jim Balsillie: Native Email For PlayBook Coming in 60 days - BerryReview

Right now, the Playbook is definitely half-baked for the ordinary consumer (i.e. non-enterprise users). Their OS right now at launch should be labeled as v0.8, not 1.0. But they are doing an orderly OS transition, not cutting massive corners like the ugly hacks with Honeycomb.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    the big issue though is TP will be getting measured against the ipad 2 not the playbook. Whether they have the bare minimum I think is a matter of perspective.

RE: TTS. I anticipate it being a tough sell. I envision someone in a store asking the, say Best Buy guy, "Ok so how does TTS work with my Evo/Incredible/iPhone/Torch/whatever phone they are holding?" Best Buy guy responds, "It doesn't sorry." Customers says, "Well hell i'm not buying a new phone just to get a tablet. I got a two year contract and i like my phone so i'm not changing. What else does the TP do?"

And then i think it will fall on other features to sell the touchpad.
    Ah, but there is the key. If the salesmen states that it is a feature of HP phones and the buyer has an Android phone or whatever and sales "Well I might as well buy an Android tablet", the salesman's response will be "This is the only tablet on the market with this feature to integrate the TPad and WebOS phones." You can't do this with any tablet you'd buy.

He could ask...
    Seller: "Where do you charge your phone?"
    Buyers: "In the bedroom".
    Seller: "Where would you most use a tablet".
    Buyer: "In the living room".
    Seller: "So what if you didn't have to get up to go get your phone and could just answer it from your tablet seamlessly? Wouldn't that be cool?"
    Buyer: "That is pretty cool. Tell me about the webOS phones."

Feature basically sells itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Ah, but there is the key. If the salesmen states that it is a feature of HP phones and the buyer has an Android phone or whatever and sales "Well I might as well buy an Android tablet", the salesman's response will be "This is the only tablet on the market with this feature to integrate the TPad and WebOS phones." You can't do this with any tablet you'd buy.

He could ask...
    Seller: "Where do you charge your phone?"
    Buyers: "In the bedroom".
    Seller: "Where would you most use a tablet".
    Buyer: "In the living room".
    Seller: "So what if you didn't have to get up to go get your phone and could just answer it from your tablet seamlessly? Wouldn't that be cool?"
    Buyer: "That is pretty cool. Tell me about the webOS phones."

Feature basically sells itself.
    That's not gonna happen. Few people are gonna buy a whole new phone and lock themselves down for a two more years and possibly a fee to get out of an old contract just because they want to use one feature in a tablet. I think that's not likely. I doubt people who anticipate spending maybe only $399 will be happy being told to use a feature they need to now spend $199 more on a phone plus a new cell contract. But we'll see if we see a flood of people getting rid of non webos phones and buying a touchpad and Pre 3. I don't think people normally do that.

What they are gonna hear is "i'm not buying a new phone."
    That's not gonna happen. Few people are gonna buy a whole new phone and lock themselves down for a two more years and possibly a fee to get out of an old contract just because they want to use one feature in a tablet. I think that's not likely. I doubt people who anticipate spending maybe $399 will be happy being told to use a feature they need to now spend $199 more on a phone plus a new cell contract. But we'll see if we see a flood of people getting rid of non webos phones and buying a touchpad and Pre 3. I don't think people normally do that.
    Uh...ever heard of the ATRIX 4G???

Buy the phone @ $199
    PLUS the laptop dock @ $499
    PLUS the media dock @ $129

So those people wouldn't spend $199 to get a (kick azz) webOS phone but would pay $529 to fully use their Atrix phone.... O_o
    The PlayBook got a decent review here: Four pleasant surprises in the BlackBerry PlayBook | ZDNet

Personally, I'm excited to be getting mines on 4/20 through Staples pre-order. RIM will do fine if they continue to support(update) the PlayBook and go forward with BlackBerry QNX despite the opposition. I also believe that the TouchPad will be an excellent device when it comes out and will get good reviews.
    As for speed, the following video is showing a later (prob. not the latest) version of WOS3.0 running very fast and really smooth.

Assumptions are really not good for anybody...

Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Rainforrest View Post
    The PlayBook got a decent review here: Four pleasant surprises in the BlackBerry PlayBook | ZDNet

Personally, I'm excited to be getting mines on 4/20 through Staples pre-order. RIM will do fine if they continue to support(update) the PlayBook and go forward with BlackBerry QNX despite the opposition. I also believe that the TouchPad will be an excellent device when it comes out and will get good reviews.
    They might done "fine", but when Apple is dominating an entire market like this the last thing you want to be is just fine. They might sell, and they might sell well. But people who buy them and don't have a BB phone will feel left out until that added functionality is added.

And I did want a Playbook at one time, then a device called the TouchPad showed it's head. Always better to get the original over a copy cat (WebOS was first, QNX BB software second).
    Exactly!

Always better to get the original over a copy cat (WebOS was first, QNX BB software second).
    Then you should be buying an iPad instead because as you know webOS copied plenty from master Apple.
    Then you should be buying an iPad instead because as you know webOS copied plenty from master Apple.
    But then wouldn't you have to buy a PalmOS device instead of an Apple device???
    Uh...ever heard of the ATRIX 4G???

Buy the phone @ $199
    PLUS the laptop dock @ $499
    PLUS the media dock @ $129

So those people wouldn't spend $199 to get a (kick azz) webOS phone but would pay $529 to fully use their Atrix phone.... O_o
    yeah. what about it? don't really see that as relevant to whether tts is gonna be a truly compelling feature to most potential customers which was what my comment was about. Besides cant' the atrix dock accessory be used with any pc not just motorola pcs? Regardless my comment was about will a feature like tts sell a tablet to people that don't want to buy a new phone. I don't see xooms flying off the shelves with people ditching their current phone in the middle of best buy just so they can buy an Atrix and a xoom or even that desktop add on thing. I don't get you're point. If the customer has no interest in buying a new phone and only came in to buy a tablet you can't say "buy the phone." They don't want a new phone. That's my point if tts worked with most phones already out there, by maybe and add on or app, then i think it's could be persuasive. Now it's dependent on people dumping their current phone and buying a WebOS phone. That's fine for the 3% of the market that already had a webos phone. But i'm talking about the other 97% percent of the phone market. If they buy tablets i doubt they'll all want to switch phones. Thus, tts won't be that persuasive to them. Asking 97% of the market to buy a new phone to use you're features is a tall ask with this current market. Hence the opinion i have that the things other the tts will actually have to be what sell TPs to people. But again we'll see if people in droves are trading in their non webos phones and buying Touchpads and webos phones so they could use tts then i'll have been wrong. i just don't see it happening.
    But then wouldn't you have to buy a PalmOS device instead of an Apple device???
    HAHAHA you two, so funny. In the case of HP and Apple, I believe the student has surpassed the master (using your terminology, of course).
    That's not gonna happen. Few people are gonna buy a whole new phone and lock themselves down for a two more years and possibly a fee to get out of an old contract just because they want to use one feature in a tablet. I think that's not likely. I doubt people who anticipate spending maybe only $399 will be happy being told to use a feature they need to now spend $199 more on a phone plus a new cell contract. But we'll see if we see a flood of people getting rid of non webos phones and buying a touchpad and Pre 3. I don't think people normally do that.

What they are gonna hear is "i'm not buying a new phone."
    It doesn't matter if that happens or not. Most people who buy a tablet already have cell phone and PCs. You're getting your iPad, TouchPad, etc because it's a cool device that lets you do the cool things you like about your smartphone on a larger device. It will let you you watch movies, listen to music, read e-mail, read books, listen to books, tweet, etc. TTS just gives you another cool feature if your phone happens to be an HP, but it fits the bill of a tablet/touchpad without the need to marry it to a phone.

If they playbook could only do those things when paired with a BB, then it kept the original Foleo idea from Palm. Even Palm didn't launch a costly device that only worked if you had their phone, because small laptops and tablets were already on the market prior to the Foleo launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    It doesn't matter if that happens or not. Most people who buy a tablet already have cell phone and PCs. You're getting your iPad, TouchPad, etc because it's a cool device that lets you do the cool things you like about your smartphone on a larger device. It will let you you watch movies, listen to music, read e-mail, read books, listen to books, tweet, etc. TTS just gives you another cool feature if your phone happens to be an HP, but it fits the bill of a tablet/touchpad without the need to marry it to a phone.

If they playbook could only do those things when paired with a BB, then it kept the original Foleo idea from Palm. Even Palm didn't launch a costly device that only worked if you had their phone, because small laptops and tablets were already on the market prior to the Foleo launch.
    EXACTLY. You've 100% made the point. Most people already have a phone and based on market share that's not a webos phone so TTS is not likely to persuade those people. As you said it's for people that already have a webos phone. You may not have read back this far but i originally said "
    And then i think it will fall on other features to sell the touchpad." That's the same as what you saying in highlighting all the other reason people are gonna be buying a tablet, "music, movies, email..." That was my entire point. Those thing are gonna have to carry touch pad much more then tts.
  15.    #75  
    Here is what the press is now saying about the Playbook...

What on Earth Happened to BlackBerry? | Slate
    "Research in Motion's new tablet is a misguided mess...This, then, is not a product review. It's more like a eulogy, or perhaps an autopsy, for a company circling the drain."

Here's The Best Thing About The BlackBerry PlayBook... And How RIM Is Blowing It
    "The only realistic way to download and put HD movies on the device right now is piracy."

Four pleasant surprises in the BlackBerry PlayBook | ZDNet
    "...one of the best things that the BlackBerry PlayBook has going for it is low expectations."

New York Times
    "crawling with borrowed ideas."

Blackberry PlayBook has real strengths, but feels unfinished - BostonHerald.com
    "I wanted to like the BlackBerry PlayBook. But it's not there yet."

RIM BlackBerry PlayBook Review - Phone Arena
    "In the end, the PlayBook appears to be a bit overpriced for the amount of features you get out of it right out of the gates and you’re simply better off investing that money on something else – for now."
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    There's a lot of hating in this thread:

'only blackberry fans will want this'
    'what does it have over the ipad?'
    'if it supports android apps, why not just get an android tablet?'
    Even windows phone 7 is implementing the same concept. But right now the multitasking is buggy and has lots of issue. The software is still not optimized. Honeycomb is a good alternative and btw Android tablets will be cheaper and have more feature in the coming months.

Gesture area is totally over rated, for a normal consumer it is totally confusing.
    Now you're just pulling misinformation out of thin air.
    Multitasking isn't buggy, though Joshua Topolsky said he liked webOS's implementation better.
    The Playbook takes gestures and makes them more intuitive than webOS. Swipe the sides of the screen to switch apps. I wish webOS had that.
    Honeycomb is no better than QNX. Android tablets may eventually be cheaper (Xoom isn't, and the Galaxy Tab isn't even comparable), but right now they aren't, and I doubt I'll see an Android tablet with as good of an OS or as much substance in the hardware design and form factor.
    Now politely, stop hating and GTFO.

With the massive amount of negitive reviews, mostly because of lack of email support, wouldn't it be smart just to launch a complete package? Meaning, even if it is fixed by the time touchpad comes out, if it only sold 300K bc no one wants a tablet that can't check emails then what good does the fix that no one knows about will do?
    If it comforts you at all, I'm planning on getting a Playbook, and the lack of a built-in email client doesn't bother me that bad. The browser is good, I can check emails, contacts (Now why would you need this on a tablet? I only go through contacts on my phone when I plan on calling someone), and my calendar just like I do on any desktop environment. With the web browser.
    And RIM's QNX browser is no shame, that's for sure.

To be serious right now Playbook is horrible and only blackberry fans boys will get this and no one else.
    That's ridiculous. The only reason I even considered the playbook in the first place was because webOS fans went crazy over this tablet.

Buy a device based on the features it offers today not marketing promises.
    With that logic that's why not to buy the Xoom, or any webOS product for that matter.

The Playbook is the only real competitor to the iPad to launch, and it offers essentials that the iPad doesn't offer:
    -Power in a 7" form factor
    -Bluetooth mouse support (Full computer experience)
    -1080p video playback in flash video
    -Visual Multitasking
    -Gesture area
    -Not being locked into using iTunes
    Just add apps, and it's a webOS user's wet dream.
    Last edited by JLegacy; 04/18/2011 at 06:51 PM.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    If it comforts you at all, I'm planning on getting a Playbook, and the lack of a built-in email client doesn't bother me that bad. The browser is good, I can check emails, contacts (Now why would you need this on a tablet? I only go through contacts on my phone when I plan on calling someone), and my calendar just like I do on any desktop environment. With the web browser.
    I don't think your understanding what I am saying. RIM is know for two things: keyboards and email. The Playbook does not have a physical keyboard or email support. It's like Nintendo making a phone but you can't play games on it without a 3DS connected to it. Sure, you can play web browser games, and if you have a 3DS you can connect the devices via bluetooth and be able to play your games. Then you ask yourself, why not just play the 3DS you all ready have (in RIM's case, if you need you BB to check these things natively, then why not just use your BB?). If it was Apple that you couldn't check your email it still would bug me but it wouldn't be as bad. Why? Because RIM is KNOWN for their email support.

And this is coming from a BlackBerry user. I use my BlackBerry because of the email support. I hated my other phone and couldn't live without the BB email. So why would I buy a tablet where I can't check my email (because I certainly will be checking my email with my tablet). My wife loves her BlackBerry Tour (I would love my phone a lot more if I had hers LOL). So I am bias I guess, towards BlackBerry. And to me, RIM lost sight of who they are and shouldn't have.

Not a BlackBerry user? Don't understand why BB is the best email ever? http://crackberry.com/lecture-1-why-blackberry Just read this, then see if the PlayBook is an all around, do it in one package type of device.
    Anyone know when the PIM apps will be added?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    There's a lot of hating in this thread:

'only blackberry fans will want this'
    'what does it have over the ipad?'
    'if it supports android apps, why not just get an android tablet?'

Now you're just pulling misinformation out of thin air.
    Multitasking isn't buggy, though Joshua Topolsky said he liked webOS's implementation better.
    The Playbook takes gestures and makes them more intuitive than webOS. Swipe the sides of the screen to switch apps. I wish webOS had that.
    Honeycomb is no better than QNX. Android tablets may eventually be cheaper (Xoom isn't, and the Galaxy Tab isn't even comparable), but right now they aren't, and I doubt I'll see an Android tablet with as good of an OS or as much substance in the hardware design and form factor.
    Now politely, stop hating and GTFO.

That's ridiculous. The only reason I even considered the playbook in the first place was because webOS fans went crazy over this tablet.

With that logic that's why not to buy the Xoom, or any webOS product for that matter.

The Playbook is the only real competitor to the iPad to launch, and it offers essentials that the iPad doesn't offer:
    -Power in a 7" form factor
    -Bluetooth mouse support (Full computer experience)
    -1080p video playback in flash video
    -Visual Multitasking
    -Gesture area
    -Not being locked into using iTunes
    Just add apps, and it's a webOS user's wet dream.
    Multitasking is buggy there is no two ways to say it. It doesn't orientate itself properly when new apps are opened, for Example When Tetris opened, all the apps oriented itself to portrait mode even though the device itself was in Landscape mode. The other problem is when swiping between apps, the touch is so sensitive that most of the time to get the proper apps we have to swipe more than 1 time to get to the desired app.

Personally I believe removing the gesture area was a great decision by HP,as it is much easier to just press the home button and see all the apps then swiping up and down the screen.

Android will be much better than QNX because it has large developer pool and even QNX is allowing Android apps to run on it. Android is a bigger brand name than QNX can ever think to achieve. If QNX so much better than Android, why is it allowing Android apps to run on it.

I think only you are crazy about Playbook and not others people on this forum. Most people on the forum have considered QNX as a copy of webos and People here will prefer the original against the pirated version.

You are acting like a Blackberry fan boy by saying calendar,email and contact is not present so what I can do these things on browser so I don't need those apps in my tablet. So this means you are buying a 7inch browser as compared to a tablet. Great choice.

Regarding iPad competitors you are seriously over hyping Playbook. I think Samsung Honeycombs tablets will be more of a competitor to iPad than Playbook can ever think about. The advantage of Samsung on Playbook are.
    1. Number of apps.
    2. Bigger Size.
    3. Lusty Design.(It is nearly as slim as Ipad 2 is).
    4. Will have Email, Calendar and Contact app at launch.
    5. 1080p HD recording.
    6. It will be 8.9 and 10inch giving more choice for people.
    http://forums.precentral.net/other-h...acer-asus.html

Right now WebOS product are quite good, it has most of the basic feature for daily use except quantity of apps and it is more finished product than QNX.
    And hopefully Touchpad will be a finished product unlike Playbook, which is horrible without Calendar and contact.

Playbook is horrible because it is missing may feature, which are required by a tablet to work properly. (Skype,Netflix and many others.)
    But may be after all the update in 2 months time Playbook will be good so instead of rushing to buy a playbook now people should wait for 2 months time and see does RIM really fulfill their promises of updating their software
    and Who knows may be the competitions come up with a more finished product(Touchpad) in that duration and playbook will look silly in comparison to them after 2 months.

I think a WebOS user's wet dream would be having the launch of Touchpad and Pre 3 tomorrow.
    Last edited by KAPS; 04/19/2011 at 04:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Anyone know when the PIM apps will be added?
    In 60 days - June.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast