Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Yes I read the reviews.. And the lack of calendar , Contacts, Email etc.. Is just a HUGE misstep for RiM .. And too think how people where complaining that the calendar on webos takes long to load.. Hey we Have a calendar app ...

And WHY is BBerry Bridge in Beta??? How many times have you heard that the beta tag in Gmail prevented corps for adopting it as their mail client.. So not only is there NO email client on the playbook.. The one that IS there is in beta!! Ha!

This is not a camera feature that's misssing.. Or MMS... This is Email !! Its what BB is synonymous with!! And its not there..

The OS isn't polished but runs smooth at times.. The apps are buggy.. But you got Nifty Calculator app.. No direction in how to develop .. Support for android apps.. But not one there at launch.. The best thing that was stated about the playbook os that they took heavily from webos and that the browser is pretty good.

Why should I get this over a Galaxy tab or tab2? That already has native support for email contacts calendar.. Android apps.. And a decent browser Plus!!!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I absolutely agree with you, personally I will prefer Galaxy tab over playbook as it is cheaper and better apps.

Playbook doesn't have bare minimum apps like skype, for the device to run smoothly. I am not expecting Playbook to have 1000000 apps at launch but atleast the essential apps should be there. If you don't have them at launch then it is a rubbish device and there is no other way to look into it. They should have waited 2 months and got the basic right and then released, I still don't understand why they rushed the product. It is not that ipad 2 was releasing next week and they had to come before the competition so RIM has made a mistake and RIM has to pay the price for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    I bet RIM will have those "core" apps on the Playbook before the TouchPad comes out.
    Also, what you said about "argumentation"...The Playbook does the EXACT same thing, except without touch-to-share.
    I don't believe it does. At least from all the reviews I have read, playbook does NOT do voice calls or video calls or sms or texting with "Bridge" functionality.

"Bridge" is used for native email, calendar, contacts and BBM app only. Basically these apps are being streamed over to blackberry via bluetooth similar to remote desktop with the added feature of changing the resolution of the app to fit the screen of Playbook. It is a very very cool feature on its own however in the current state this essentially means playbook is an accessory to the phone and thus dependent on the phone (in the absence of native apps). The following link was helpful for me ...

Clearing up the PlayBook Confusion: BlackBerry Bridge vs. Internet Tethering | CrackBerry.com

Again, HP and RIM are using two different approaches.
    If Playbook launches with a native email, calendar, contacts and BB< app and then gives the user the ability to use BB Bridge to use their phone contacts on a bigger screen then they would have had a killer feature. Launching Playbook with no PIM functionality is a shot in the foot. Right now Playbook is an internet tablet of the old a la Nokia 770 (which actually had more functionality).

RIM needs to fix this native app issue ASAP. Otherwise they will have ruined a perfectly good opportunity with QNX .
    Quote Originally Posted by icstars989 View Post
    Have any of you actually read the reviews, or just taken the context? The reviews aren't nearly as bad as those one liners. Is there things it's missing? Sure, there was plenty of stuff Apple didnt incorporate until iOS3, there's plenty of stuff HP/Palm still hasn't incorporated. Unfortunately thats the world we live in now, rush hardware out as quick as possible and provide the software later. It is what it is.
    The point is simple though. I am a blackberry users, btw. But I won't be after my next upgrade. Anyway, I use my BB for email and that's why I love it. And now I find out u can't check ur email natively without a bb? I mean that's like saying u can't surf the web on a hp touchpad without a hp laptop synced via bluetooth. Its such a big thing for BB. Ask any BB user -- they all will tell u email is their life blood.
  5.    #45  
    I have done a lot of comparison charts for various devices. In the charts, you only include the features that differentiate the products. So all the basic features are left off.

RIM has left out features that have been standard on even smartphones in 2003. To accurately compare the PlayBook you would need to add rows for:

• Email - NO
    • Messaging - NO
    • Calendar - NO
    • Contacts - NO
    • Notes - NO

Fast forward to this decade and the Playbook is missing tablet options:

• 3G
    • 4G
    • Video chat
    • Pandora
    • Angry Birds

Someday RIM may fix everything but think how many times we have seen posts weeks or months later saying that they never got some feature. Someone always replies with something like, "It has the same features you bought. If you wanted something else, you should have bought that."

The Xoom failed for a list of reasons including greed. Also contributing to the failure of the Xoom is missing key features that were promised to be coming "soon" like a functioning microSD card.

Buy a device based on the features it offers today not marketing promises.

If you want to buy Futures, go call a commodities broker.
  6.    #46  
    The hits just keep on coming...

Analysis of RIM and Playbook in the past 24 hours from major publications:

RIM Shares Drop After Reviewers Criticize PlayBook Tablet - Bloomberg

RIM CEO Stumbles Through PlayBook Damage Control‎ - Infoweek

RIM's BlackBerry PlayBook May Never Recover‎ - PC Magazine

Here's The Best Thing About The BlackBerry PlayBook... And How RIM Is Blowing ... - San Fransisco Chronicle

RIM's email-less PlayBook gets tough reviews - Reuters

RIM's Baffling PlayBook Performance - The Wall Street Journal

Early reviews of RIM's PlayBook not kind - Market Watch

RIMM Falls On Early PlayBook Reviews - Bloomberg

Today in Tech: RIM refutes PlayBook criticism....‎ - Fortune

...here is a Google search for many more in the past 24 hours. I did not include the ones that were feature walk-throughs or "how-to" articles.

The story of the bad reviews is now a bigger story than the Playbook.

An unfinished product, a year late, with specs like these:

HP TouchPad vs. iPad 2, Xoom, PlayBook, Galaxy 10, Acer

Anyone who buys a Playbook in the next few weeks will be, by definition, a Beta Tester.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 04/15/2011 at 01:01 PM.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    My $0.01 worth.

First, I'm a big fan of WebOS

Second, I join the ranks of those who aren't happy about the lack of Touchpad gesture area.

Third, I think it's important for RIM to do well in the industry: current Playbook excepted, they have been the ones to set the bar on Business-mandatory functionality (eMail + PIM). If they were to die, I'm afraid everyone would stoop to the lower common denominator (ie: copy Apple). Look at Palm -- that's what they did (eMail & PIM apps range from 'barely useable to garbage' in WebOS 1.4.5 and 2.x).

Last - a thought. Reading CrackBerry Kevin's review got me thinking about Gestures in-general. I really like gestures and want them to stay, but, it's important for HP to sort out who they plan to sell WebOS devices to (ie: Apple = the 'idiotproof' brand, HP='Average Tech user and above' and Android='gearhead' --> TBDTBDTBD $where$ $RIM$ $fits$ $into$ $this$ $now$). $It$'$s$ $important$ $they$ $market$ $their$ $products$ $properly$ $right$ $from$ $the$ $start$.

The quote: "My mom's in her sixties, and being the proud mother that she is, she wants a PlayBook. The thing is, I know she could figure out an iPad. I'm not convinced she would have as easy a time on the PlayBook." [in reference to the gesture area, particularly] --> Source: http://crackberry.com/blackberry-pla...eview-official
    Palm History: Sony Clie T615C --> T|X --> Pre+ --> Pre3 Aspirations -->
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmahy View Post
    My $0.01 worth.

First, I'm a big fan of WebOS

Second, I join the ranks of those who aren't happy about the lack of Touchpad gesture area.

Third, I think it's important for RIM to do well in the industry: current Playbook excepted, they have been the ones to set the bar on Business-mandatory functionality (eMail + PIM). If they were to die, I'm afraid everyone would stoop to the lower common denominator (ie: copy Apple). Look at Palm -- that's what they did (eMail & PIM apps range from 'barely useable to garbage' in WebOS 1.4.5 and 2.x).

Last - a thought. Reading CrackBerry Kevin's review got me thinking about Gestures in-general. I really like gestures and want them to stay, but, it's important for HP to sort out who they plan to sell WebOS devices to (ie: Apple = the 'idiotproof' brand, HP='Average Tech user and above' and Android='gearhead' --> TBDTBDTBD $where$ $RIM$ $fits$ $into$ $this$ $now$). $It$'$s$ $important$ $they$ $market$ $their$ $products$ $properly$ $right$ $from$ $the$ $start$.

The quote: "My mom's in her sixties, and being the proud mother that she is, she wants a PlayBook. The thing is, I know she could figure out an iPad. I'm not convinced she would have as easy a time on the PlayBook." [in reference to the gesture area, particularly] --> Source: http://crackberry.com/blackberry-pla...eview-official
    I think you have hit the nail on the head. HP is for Average user and Apple for casual user. HP did a smart thing removing Gesture made things easy, by just clicking the Home Button you see all the application currently running in Touchpad, which is way easier than swiping up and down the Playbook screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    But that's ok because people need only certain "core" apps to keep them happy....isn't that the current way of thinking?

(Certain "core" apps like a phone dialer that's stretched to fit the tablet screen, for example )
    Hey HP..... I'm sticking with you, for now, but sure hope you take this point in, and either have some wild and fantastical plan to circumvent this tiny issue
    But I thought it ran Android apps? How would it be "lacking"?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIΙ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    In about three years, RIM will be bought out by Google.
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    But I thought it ran Android apps? How would it be "lacking"?
    The PlayBook has Android Apps the same way it has Email, Messaging, Calendar, Contacts, Notes, 3G, 4G, Video chat, Skype, GPS, Pandora, and Angry Birds:

"Soon..."

At this point I think a reporter could ask about any feature and be told that it too will be coming soon.

But right now, today, the PlayBook does not have the basic features my Treo 600 had in 2003.

Look at how all the features promised last fall for Windows Mobile 7 phones worked out. They were all coming "soon".

Some devices are bought on credit.

The Playbook will be bought on faith.
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    Don't expect much better reiviews for the touchpad.

1) it won't have tons of apps.

2) it won't be finished.

3) the OS has lost it's unified look. Every app has a different style. Heck the mail panes have different styles of design.

4) It's currently really slow, and I expect it i'll still have some slowness when it comes out.

5) thicker than ipad2, with worse battery life.

6) made out of plastic.

I CANT wait for a pre3, and will most likely pickup a touchpad or touchpad2 (depends when I have the cash for it). Those cons above don't bother ME much, but reviewers are going to list them as cons.
    Now I will give you it won't have tons of apps -- but I am sure it will have the core apps (unlike the playbook, might I add) but the rest of what you said (minus plastic and thickness) is pure speculation. Why would u say it be slow? Look at the Veer, its fast. Battery life horrible? I remember someone saying the playbook would have horrible battery life. Last time I checked it lasts eleven hours (according to ex editor of engdget, josh). So I won't say that just yet.so are you saying it won't have email at launch? Wait -- hp won't make that mistake, unlike RIM. Sorry, next time please say actual crtisims like waiting is a bad thing. But looking at the xoom and playbook -- both unfinished products -- maybe waiting is not a bad thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by KAPS View Post
    Nothing can be done regarding the plastic issue.
    why is that an issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    How is RIM's strategy of marrying a Blackberry with a Playbook any different from HP's touch to share and "seamless" integration strategy which requires a Touchpad and a Palm smartphone to work? At least there are a zillion Blackberries out there to connect with a Playbook. There aren't very many HP smartphones out there to connect to a Touchpad.
    You ARE kidding right?

C'mon, seriously.

TTS will supposedly ENHANCE the TP by connecting to the Pre 3 and Veer for sms and telephony - two things that the smartphones do as a part of their dedicated function.. the TP allows that functionality to extend via TTS, and you are trying to logically imply that this is somehow a way that HP is trying to make up for a TP lack of functionality?

Well, that's ridiculous.

Seriously.
    Last edited by LCGuy; 04/15/2011 at 03:10 PM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    You ARE kidding right?

C'mon, seriously.

TTS will supposedly ENHANCE the TP by connecting to the Pre 3 and Veer for sms and telephony - two things that the smartphones do as a part of their dedicated function.. the TP allows that functionality to expend via TTS, and you think that this is somehow a way that HP is trying to make up for a TP lack of functionality?

Well, that's what you are implying.. which is, ridiculous.

Seriously.
    Actually.. You don't need TTS to allow sms and telephony between the two.. As far as I recall the 2 devices don't need to phycally touch to have phone calls transferred..

However I do agree that the integration by HP between the Phone and Pad while enhances Both if you have them both.. When they are separate neither one "loses functionality".. Unlike the playbook which, minus the phone does

I agree that transferring a call didn't require touching the devices. One demo scenario was that the phone was out of reach, and the call was answered on the TouchPad without having to grab the phone. In another demo scenario it was answered on the phone, and transfered to the touchpad. However, I believe those were both video calls, so it wasn't clear how it would work for a standard cellular call. Demos always tend toward the dramatic, and showing a voice call to a room full of people wouldn't have been as cool...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I agree that transferring a call didn't require touching the devices. One demo scenario was that the phone was out of reach, and the call was answered on the TouchPad without having to grab the phone. In another demo scenario it was answered on the phone, and transfered to the touchpad. However, I believe those were both video calls, so it wasn't clear how it would work for a standard cellular call. Demos always tend toward the dramatic, and showing a voice call to a room full of people wouldn't have been as cool...
    They prob where using Wifi only devices.. No reason to speculate that the 3G 4G radios would work any different.

Quote Originally Posted by KAPS View Post
    Touchpad will be atleast 2 to 3 times better than Playbook. Touchpad won't have tons of apps but atleast it will have bare minimum apps ...
    the big issue though is TP will be getting measured against the ipad 2 not the playbook. Whether they have the bare minimum I think is a matter of perspective.

RE: TTS. I anticipate it being a tough sell. I envision someone in a store asking the, say Best Buy guy, "Ok so how does TTS work with my Evo/Incredible/iPhone/Torch/whatever phone they are holding?" Best Buy guy responds, "It doesn't sorry." Customers says, "Well hell i'm not buying a new phone just to get a tablet. I got a two year contract and i like my phone so i'm not changing. What else does the TP do?"

And then i think it will fall on other features to sell the touchpad.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 04/15/2011 at 03:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    You are correct.

I think I was so surprised at Untidy's innuendos, that I forgot that its not even TTS that enables those features.

My bad.

But, TTS DOES (or, should, when in actual hardware), extend the TP functionality relative to other "connected" devices, rather than make up for any inherent deficiencies, as he implied.
    Last edited by LCGuy; 04/15/2011 at 03:19 PM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    Don't expect much better reiviews for the touchpad.

1) it won't have tons of apps.
    Article here seems to say that HP is telling people that it is taking positive steps to get the "premium apps":
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...mium-apps.html

The precentral front page story on music cloud service sounds intriguing.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast