Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 194
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    RIM has already announced that they will run Android Honeycomb apps so that decision has already been made.

    The real question is will they be able to get over to Android before they completely auger in?

    A complete failure of the PlayBook may be the best thing for RIM. It would make it clear that they have to jump right now.

    The worst thing that could happen to RIM would be for the PlayBook to have some glimmer of hope. They would cling to that hope like a drowning rat. Any success with the PlayBook can only hurt RIM by delaying their revivial.

    Until RIM can bottom out, they can't get better.
    A loose/loose if RIM goes Android but what choice do they have? Going Android would mean they would all the sudden be a small droplet of water in a sea of Android devices but is it worse than hanging onto that 1980s OS of theirs?

    If they still have the cash then they need to just cough it up, lawy low for a bit, and make a new OS from scratch. Prolly pickup a few more neat ideas from webOS in the process.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

    www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  2. #22  
    this review from USA Today is mostly neutral the way I read it

    RIM's PlayBook hopes to steal iPad's thunder - USATODAY.com
  3. #23  
    if RIM got android bridge fixed out of the box, everybody would be happy.

    i dont think playbook is half bad, RIM needs to add PIM apps, fix android app bridge, and do some great and long term ads. It will take off.

    HP faces pretty much similar problems, if true multitasking+gesture area of playbook isn't good enough, so will be HP's touchpad.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    How is RIM's strategy of marrying a Blackberry with a Playbook any different from HP's touch to share and "seamless" integration strategy which requires a Touchpad and a Palm smartphone to work? At least there are a zillion Blackberries out there to connect with a Playbook. There aren't very many HP smartphones out there to connect to a Touchpad.
    Is touch to share a feature that you have to use? Put it this way. Blackberries are known for their email and keyboards. That's why ppl buy them (why I still use mine actually) but without a blackberry, you can't check ur email. Reading one review, he said the playbook felt useless without a bkackberry.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    I bet RIM will have those "core" apps on the Playbook before the TouchPad comes out.
    Also, what you said about "argumentation"...The Playbook does the EXACT same thing, except without touch-to-share.
    With the massive amount of negitive reviews, mostly because of lack of email support, wouldn't it be smart just to launch a complete package? Meaning, even if it is fixed by the time touchpad comes out, if it only sold 300K bc no one wants a tablet that can't check emails then what good does the fix that no one knows about will do?
  6. rkguy's Avatar
    Posts
    803 Posts
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    A loose/loose if RIM goes Android but what choice do they have? Going Android would mean they would all the sudden be a small droplet of water in a sea of Android devices but is it worse than hanging onto that 1980s OS of theirs?

    If they still have the cash then they need to just cough it up, lawy low for a bit, and make a new OS from scratch. Prolly pickup a few more neat ideas from webOS in the process.
    Lose, not loose / spelling police

    Unrelated to that, let's remember that the ipad got SLAMMed when it was first reviewed as just a huge iphone and "why would anyone want that"? I didn't but many people did. Unfortunately for RIM (and good for us webOS faithful), RIM doesn't have the cache' that apple did.
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
  7. #27  
    Don't expect much better reiviews for the touchpad.

    1) it won't have tons of apps.

    2) it won't be finished.

    3) the OS has lost it's unified look. Every app has a different style. Heck the mail panes have different styles of design.

    4) It's currently really slow, and I expect it i'll still have some slowness when it comes out.

    5) thicker than ipad2, with worse battery life.

    6) made out of plastic.

    I CANT wait for a pre3, and will most likely pickup a touchpad or touchpad2 (depends when I have the cash for it). Those cons above don't bother ME much, but reviewers are going to list them as cons.
  8. #28  
    The Playbook never should have been launched without PIM, I've said it before, and that more than anything else I think is drawing these bad reviews. Without those base apps its not even half baked.

    The hardware is looking nice, well with the exception of that power button. Its too bad, I sort of like the 7inch formfactor.
  9. KAPS's Avatar
    Posts
    181 Posts
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    Don't expect much better reiviews for the touchpad.

    1) it won't have tons of apps.

    2) it won't be finished.

    3) the OS has lost it's unified look. Every app has a different style. Heck the mail panes have different styles of design.

    4) It's currently really slow, and I expect it i'll still have some slowness when it comes out.

    5) thicker than ipad2, with worse battery life.

    6) made out of plastic.

    I CANT wait for a pre3, and will most likely pickup a touchpad or touchpad2 (depends when I have the cash for it). Those cons above don't bother ME much, but reviewers are going to list them as cons.
    Touchpad will be atleast 2 to 3 times better than Playbook. Touchpad won't have tons of apps but atleast it will have bare minimum apps like Skype,Maps,Email, Netflix and other distinguishable/Famous apps. It will certainly have Angry Bird.

    It would be more finished than Playbook is right now with less bugs in the OS even iPad 2 is not a finished product(see notification problem).

    I think the looks will be ironed out as cosmetic changes are easy to do.

    I think the slowness of the device will also be ironed out by the time the product is released.

    Battery will suck there is no doubt in that, Ipad 2 is the King and it will remain there.
    Nothing can be done regarding the plastic issue.
  10. KAPS's Avatar
    Posts
    181 Posts
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    I think they'll be fine. And don't forget, the PlayBook with 4G will come out a few months later which will then obviously be reviewed again. Provided that RIM will be able to make all the needed improvements in these few months (I'm sure they'll do everything they can to make that happen) reviewers will notice these improvements and mention them.

    I'm convinced RIM fully expected to take a beating on most of the issues raised by all reviews. Still, by putting it out there right now rather than continuing to polish at least they get it in front of a larger real-world audience which will help ironing out the kinks enormously.

    I expect that by the time the TouchPad is in stores it will have matured a lot already and it won't be easy for people to choose between the two.
    I don't get it Playbook just copied the UI but it is very different from Touchpad.
    Touchpad is 10inch while playbook is 7 and it doesn't have Just type, which is one of the important feature of touchpad.

    HP has more reach than RIM and it is way bigger company than RIM. You guys are forgetting that RIM is not fighting with Palm but with HP, which is a global giant.


    Keyboard of Touchpad is hell lot better than Playbook, as it includes numbers while Playbook keyboard is difficult to navigate.
    Touchstone and wireless keyboard are unique features of Touchpad.

    Notification,Synergy,Email,Exhibitions, Maps,Music and Photos and Videos of Touchpad are 10 times better than Playbook.

    To be serious right now Playbook is horrible and only blackberry fans boys will get this and no one else.
  11. KAPS's Avatar
    Posts
    181 Posts
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    if RIM got android bridge fixed out of the box, everybody would be happy.

    i dont think playbook is half bad, RIM needs to add PIM apps, fix android app bridge, and do some great and long term ads. It will take off.

    HP faces pretty much similar problems, if true multitasking+gesture area of playbook isn't good enough, so will be HP's touchpad.
    I don't get why is Playbook good. Tell me one unique feature of Playbook, which it's competition doesn't have,I know nothing.
    If you are telling about Android app then why shouldn't I just buy android tablet.

    Even if PIM apps comes do you think it still stand a chance against Ipad, which is being deployed in 80% of Fortune 100 companies.

    Playbook doesn't have any cool feature for normal consumer to buy it and this will translate to the enterprise section also. It doesn't even look appealing.

    I think HP has more chances to succeed with Touchpad because of its scale and reach than RIM has with Playbook.

    Right now Playbook sucks and it should have launched 3 month down the line with atleast the Email apps pre installed in it.

    Playbook doesn't even have any function to search apps and no Maps apps.

    Just because Playbook copied the UI of WebOS doesn't make it a good product.
  12. #32  
    It took me a while to realize but it's pretty clear to me now: The current PlayBook release is targeted at BlackBerry users and nobody else. Thing is, if you have a BB phone the whole email disadvantage is nonexistent. In fact, BB bridge looks pretty darn cool. So cool that I decided to get a cheap used BB actually so i can try it. There have not been any commercials for it or whatsoever. By the time the PlayBook 4G comes out it will have email/pim etc. and that's when they'll start an advertising blitz.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
  13. #33  
    By the way, I'd reserve remarks like 'it's horrible' for after you've actually used the device. If not you're no better than all the dumb Apple *******. I haven't handled a real PlayBook yet. Have you? I handled a TouchPad once, for 2 minutes. It looked promising. That's all I can say about it right now. Better than a PlayBook? Worse? Who knows. Certainly not me. Anything else would be ridiculous fanboyism.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
  14. KAPS's Avatar
    Posts
    181 Posts
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    By the way, I'd reserve remarks like 'it's horrible' for after you've actually used the device. If not you're no better than all the dumb Apple *******. I haven't handled a real PlayBook yet. Have you? I handled a TouchPad once, for 2 minutes. It looked promising. That's all I can say about it right now. Better than a PlayBook? Worse? Who knows. Certainly not me. Anything else would be ridiculous fanboyism.
    I think you can't actually handle all the device, which you like so you have to check videos and then decide.

    Btw the number of features missing or not there make this device horrible for the price it is selling.

    If it was selling for 300$ it would have been good or not for 500$ when I can get a better device in iPad 2.

    Regarding the features, which Touchpad have it looks way better than Playbook and I hope HP will not s*** up with WebOS.

    Buying an Half baked product and hoping for an update later on is a mistake IMO, see what happened to HTC user, who brought HTC phone hoping for Sense 3.0 but were disappointed with HTC attitude of not implementing for device not having dual core processor or 1.5 GHZ single core processor.

    It is better to wait for the product to mature and then buy, who knows by that time new better product will come from android or HP. In the end is your dollar you can spend it in whatever way you want.
  15. KAPS's Avatar
    Posts
    181 Posts
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    It took me a while to realize but it's pretty clear to me now: The current PlayBook release is targeted at BlackBerry users and nobody else. Thing is, if you have a BB phone the whole email disadvantage is nonexistent. In fact, BB bridge looks pretty darn cool. So cool that I decided to get a cheap used BB actually so i can try it. There have not been any commercials for it or whatsoever. By the time the PlayBook 4G comes out it will have email/pim etc. and that's when they'll start an advertising blitz.
    If you don't mind what advantage a Playbook has over Samsung Galaxy tab, which is cheaper than playbook,has more apps and to top it all up it has Angry Bird.

    I think you could wait for Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 inch version which is launching quite soon,its has support for honeycomb and its price is same as ipad2 and playbook.

    You already have blackberry phone and using Playbook as a giant projector for your email and message, may not be appealing to many.
    I admit I am ****** of WebOS but I can appreciate when something is good like ipad 2 but right now Playbook is horrible for the price and features it offers.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by KAPS View Post
    Tell me one unique feature of Playbook, which it's competition doesn't have,I know nothing.
    true desktop level multitasking using card metaphor
    gesture area around the bezel
    integration with blackberry
    long battery life on a 7" tablet.

    What other tablet(s) have that now?
  17. KAPS's Avatar
    Posts
    181 Posts
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    true desktop level multitasking using card metaphor
    gesture area around the bezel
    integration with blackberry
    long battery life on a 7" tablet.

    What other tablet(s) have that now?
    Even windows phone 7 is implementing the same concept. But right now the multitasking is buggy and has lots of issue. The software is still not optimized. Honeycomb is a good alternative and btw Android tablets will be cheaper and have more feature in the coming months.

    Gesture area is totally over rated, for a normal consumer it is totally confusing.

    Integration with Blackberry is good thing but depending on it for Emails, contact and other feature is bad.
    In one of the review it was highlighted, let say your blackberry battery dies down and you have wifi in your place but you can't see the contact because blackberry is down so what is the use of playbook, throw that in dustbin then.
    It has only 7 hours battery life, which is 3 hour less than 10 inch Ipad 2, for 500$ why should I buy playbook and not ipad2. Btw Samsung Galaxy tab gives 6 hour battery life.

    Out of all the features you have listed only feature worth buying was multitasking but with honeycomb tablets even that would be no use.

    Playbook is only for BB user and no one else even they will not buy this half baked product. They should have released this tablet in summer by ironing out the software issues.

    RIP RIM.
  18. #38  
    Have any of you actually read the reviews, or just taken the context? The reviews aren't nearly as bad as those one liners. Is there things it's missing? Sure, there was plenty of stuff Apple didnt incorporate until iOS3, there's plenty of stuff HP/Palm still hasn't incorporated. Unfortunately thats the world we live in now, rush hardware out as quick as possible and provide the software later. It is what it is.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by icstars989 View Post
    Have any of you actually read the reviews, or just taken the context? The reviews aren't nearly as bad as those one liners. Is there things it's missing? Sure, there was plenty of stuff Apple didnt incorporate until iOS3, there's plenty of stuff HP/Palm still hasn't incorporated. Unfortunately thats the world we live in now, rush hardware out as quick as possible and provide the software later. It is what it is.
    Yes I read the reviews.. And the lack of calendar , Contacts, Email etc.. Is just a HUGE misstep for RiM .. And too think how people where complaining that the calendar on webos takes long to load.. Hey we Have a calendar app ...

    And WHY is BBerry Bridge in Beta??? How many times have you heard that the beta tag in Gmail prevented corps for adopting it as their mail client.. So not only is there NO email client on the playbook.. The one that IS there is in beta!! Ha!

    This is not a camera feature that's misssing.. Or MMS... This is Email !! Its what BB is synonymous with!! And its not there..

    The OS isn't polished but runs smooth at times.. The apps are buggy.. But you got Nifty Calculator app.. No direction in how to develop .. Support for android apps.. But not one there at launch.. The best thing that was stated about the playbook os that they took heavily from webos and that the browser is pretty good.

    Why should I get this over a Galaxy tab or tab2? That already has native support for email contacts calendar.. Android apps.. And a decent browser Plus!!!

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  20. KAPS's Avatar
    Posts
    181 Posts
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by icstars989 View Post
    Have any of you actually read the reviews, or just taken the context? The reviews aren't nearly as bad as those one liners. Is there things it's missing? Sure, there was plenty of stuff Apple didnt incorporate until iOS3, there's plenty of stuff HP/Palm still hasn't incorporated. Unfortunately thats the world we live in now, rush hardware out as quick as possible and provide the software later. It is what it is.
    Yeah I have read NY,Engagdet,Jousha and Gizomodo reviews. All of them are saying playbook is bad and it is a rushed product.

    I still don't understand why rush a product if there is no competition in sight.
    See what happened with Xoom but some people are *****(RIM) and they don't learn.

    Tell me a thing Playbook doesn't have email,contact and calendar, these are important feature for any tablet and atleast they should have released with these.

    This product is endorsed by only RIM fan boys and no one else. What is the logic of hooking your blackberry with Playbook, it is acting like a giant projector and nothing else, even in that it is falling as you can't open any website link in the mail and many other short comings.

    Xoom hardware was way superior than Playbook but still it was an embarrassment just because Playbook has blackberry fan boys it will succeed a little bit.
    Last edited by KAPS; 04/15/2011 at 09:37 AM.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions