1.    #1  
    BlackBerry PlayBook review -- Engadget

$500. Rating is 7/10. As someone who likes how webOS handles tasks and uses gestures, I personally find this tablet pretty appealing since it's so similar. Thoughts?
    The last paragraph pretty much sums up the way I feel about the playbook.

"Right now, the BlackBerry PlayBook is a tablet that will come close to satisfying those users who gravitate toward the first word in its name: BlackBerry. Those who were more excited about the "play" part would be well advised to look elsewhere, at least until Android compatibility joins the party. Then, well, anything could happen. "
    I don't think it sounds that appealing after reading the review. It sounds like there is a lot of solid software missing from it.

I think this product is already a day late and a dollar too much.

1. Notifications?
    2. On screen keyboard got bad reviews. If you are like me and use numbers and ?!?! in texting/writing, how frustrating will that be! The fact it is shipping with that should be a red flag of how well thought out everything else is.
    3. Lack of real useful interactivity between phone and tablet. I'm not even talking touch to share here, what about taking phone calls on the tablet? I probably don't know enough about the Playbook, but at best it is on par with the Touchpad in this regard. It sounds like in order to get a basic level of functionality out of the tablet you NEED to have your phone.

Let's be honest, if you are in the market for a tablet, do you really want to jump on this right now?

I say no. You are REALLY locking yourself into the BB ecosystem. You really need a phone to go with the tablet. I could be missing something, but I don't feel like any of the recent BB phones have been anything special, and if anything, a bit of a letdown. I don't really have high hopes for anything they are working on either. At least with the iPad, Xoom, and Touchpad you are getting a full featured tablet, and still have the flexibility to go with another phone of your choice.
    Also, more importantly?, here is Josh's review.

This is my next Podcast BlackBerry PlayBook review
    Not my cup of tea, and I just don't think that it will take off and fly in the apps department because there's to many ways to develop for it, and not many of which will provide a native, cohesive experience.
    I like the size. I will check it out in next several months.

I will definitely not buy the HP touchpad, its too big.

Price may be too high, as galaxy tab is $350.
    Last edited by clevin; 04/13/2011 at 10:02 PM.
    Without blackberry phone, its a major compromise.
    Crackberry has a more indepth review. I'm still excited to get one and waiting for my staples preorder is driving me mad. RIM is headed in the right direction now with QNX and the future looks bright. I'd like to see both HP and RIM succeed because an iOS and Android world only would be and currently is extremely boring.

Sent from HP Zeen
    I look at this as somewhat as an evolving product. I have to give RIM props for actually getting it out there even though it may be a tad unfinished. It seems it manages to get 7/10-ish scores in many reviews in this unfinished, app-lacking (including essentials such as email, pim, calendar etc.) state which is pretty awesome if you ask me. It looks like the future looks pretty decent for RIM.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    BlackBerry PlayBook review -- Engadget

$500. Rating is 7/10. As someone who likes how webOS handles tasks and uses gestures, I personally find this tablet pretty appealing since it's so similar. Thoughts?
    I think this proves why HP is waiting a few extra months to get WebOS 3.0 ready. RIM doesn't have a native email app, and considering that's the only thing I like about my BlackBerry it should really be the shinning star here. HP knows they can't release a beta product, with the iPad 2 being perfect out of the box. The TouchPad has to work perfectly and has to have a native email app. And really, I love the TouchPad's email app -- it looks awesome so far. A lot like Outlook, which is perfect for the millions of people who all ready know that format. But I do think the PlayBook is a worthy competitor and is not horrible.
    I love the TAT designed apps. It would be nice to have tools to continue TAT's native UI in 3rd party apps.

I love the gesture down up and across too.

Hate the gushy feel to the UI. needs more snap!

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by runsweetlew View Post
    I say no. You are REALLY locking yourself into the BB ecosystem. You really need a phone to go with the tablet. I could be missing something, but I don't feel like any of the recent BB phones have been anything special, and if anything, a bit of a letdown. I don't really have high hopes for anything they are working on either. At least with the iPad, Xoom, and Touchpad you are getting a full featured tablet, and still have the flexibility to go with another phone of your choice.
    You aren't really locking yourself into the BB ecosystem.

You can actually tether the Playbook via wifi with any brand of cell phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    You aren't really locking yourself into the BB ecosystem.

You can actually tether the Playbook via wifi with any brand of cell phones.
    Yes.. And you still get NO email, contact or calendar client Natively by doing thta.. Unless you buy into the BB ecosystem and purchase a bberry phone

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Interesting... What is even more interesting is the slight Palm and HP are getting with all the press and video reviews pointing out features we've had in webOS since day 1. Checkout this video from that goes over the obvious and points too Playbook features that look just like webOS features or at least what webOS should look like running on a tablet.

Actually, it kinda urks me that HP left the dedicated Gesture Area off their tablets, when webOS users have become so used to the feature. What are you smoking HP!!! Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Yes.. And you still get NO email, contact or calendar client Natively by doing thta.. Unless you buy into the BB ecosystem and purchase a bberry phone
    Amazing...look what I can't do and RIM users will still buy it. Quote, "I can live with it for now and RIM will fix those problems when they get the time." Sorli...
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Biggest thing from that review for me

Like webOS? If so, you're going to love what's hiding under the PlayBook's (healthy) bezels -- capacitive digitizers that recognize a variety of gestures. System gestures originate to the side of the pixels and terminate on the screen -- except for the swipe to turn the screen on, which has you dragging from one bezel all the way across to the opposite one.

To switch from one app to the next you can swipe inward from the left or the right, which pops the app out of full-screen and lets you move forward or back in the queue. A tap then maximizes your new favorite app. Or, a swipe up from the bottom gives you an even higher-level view of your running apps, which you can again zing your way through. Grabbing one and throwing it upward sends it to the garbage collector, or you can tap the tiny X that appears next to its name.

Swiping from the top of the app brings down a context menu, extra controls that let you save files in Word to Go or jump from one album to another in the media player. Finally, swipe in from either top corner of the screen and you get a system context menu that displays the date and time, simple media controls, battery and connectivity indicators, and a little gear you can tap to tweak your system settings.

Ultimately it's very intuitive to use and, even better, it feels really good. The dynamic action of throwing a frustrating application right off of the screen is quite satisfying, and the lack of any multi-finger antics certainly makes task-switching a far surer affair. Everything is quick and responsive -- just what you expect on a tablet that costs this much money
    This type of thing is how the TouchPad should be running. Even engadget states, if you're a fan of WebOS you'll like this because it was what made WebOS so unique and natural in feeling.

And they completely abandoned it by all indications in the TouchPad. Its that omission that may be the driving factor in keeping me on the iPad2 instead or looking at the Playbook if it gets decent android app support traction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Biggest thing from that review for me

This type of thing is how the TouchPad should be running. Even engadget states, if you're a fan of WebOS you'll like this because it was what made WebOS so unique and natural in feeling.

And they completely abandoned it by all indications in the TouchPad. Its that omission that may be the driving factor in keeping me on the iPad2 instead or looking at the Playbook if it gets decent android app support traction.
    Yes it is very scary what HP is doing...how can Palm invent an original idea that everyone loves and then axe it from tablet platforms. I've heard HP mention their gesture tests on tablets was simply too confusing for users and why they left it out??? What would have been better is if they simply re-engineered how gestures on tablets would work, disable in some areas and then enable in others. They should have at least keep the hardware gesture area intact and allowed for its integration later. Someone needs to be fired and if this was Rubi plan...he also needs to go!

Either way, found another news review that combines many of the major tech venues articles on the Playbook and reference it being half baked: The Reviews Of The BlackBerry PlayBook Are Unbelievably Bad. Sorli...
    One more cumulative review
    http://www.intomobile.com/2011/04/14...ewarm-reviews/

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I summarized the reviews from the Wall Street Journal, PCWorld, and a dozen others here:

The Reviews of the BlackBerry PlayBook are Unbelievably Bad

I could only find one review of the PlayBook that was more positive than this Engadget review. It was from an old guy with a really bad toupee. The toupee is the best part of his review.

The negative reviews are turning into an avalanche.
    Wow is all I can say about Lazaridis. People can make fun of Ruby all they want and saying things like "stay tuned", but at least he does it in a fun "I wish I could tell you more" kind of way. Lazaridis does worse than saying "stay tuned", he just starts saying the world "global" and ignoring whats being asked.