Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    RIM co-CEO Mike Lazaridis walks off of BBC interview | CrackBerry.com

After being asked a perfectly legitimate question about RIM's problems with security in India and the Middle East, he got up and left.

This brings me comfort. No matter how incompetent HP's executives act sometimes, RIM's will always be worse!
    "Visits? Well that would indicate visitors."
    "Future events such as these will affect you in the future."
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Why'd he get so upset, all he had to say was it's not something he can discuss as it involves matters of national security! Lol!
    I think he didn't believe this was just a blackberry issue and its progress past just a tech company issue and more of a national issue.

I didn't think he got that angry, but even when he asked the question, it looked like his handler said something off camera like "we aren't answering that, do you have 1 more question we are short on time".
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinfusor View Post
    RIM co-CEO Mike Lazaridis walks off of BBC interview | CrackBerry.com

After being asked a perfectly legitimate question about RIM's problems with security in India and the Middle East, he got up and left.

This brings me comfort. No matter how incompetent HP's executives act sometimes, RIM's will always be worse!
    RIM hasn't had 'problems'. The only problem is those governments wanting to look into their people's communications and BlackBerry being too secure for them to be able to do that. The question was done in some sort of suggestive way like RIM has had security breaches or something like that which is obviously offensive. Their security is rock solid, it's one of the key assets of RIM.

There was no way for him to answer this question because as said, RIM doesn't have security 'problems' and obviously he doesn't want to **** off those governments either by going on the record saying that those very governments are the problem.

I suppose ending the interview wasn't the most professional thing to do but this was an ******* question to ask. Nothing 'legitimate' about it. The interviewer knew very well that there's no way to answer that question without either causing trouble or making his own company look bad while there's nothing bad about it (in this area anyway).
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    To top it off, the interviewer kept probing in a way that still was holding RIM responsible.

"So can you tell your users in the Middle East there is no problem?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    To top it off, the interviewer kept probing in a way that still was holding RIM responsible.

"So can you tell your users in the Middle East there is no problem?"
    Exactly. There IS a problem but the problem is not RIM. However, he can't say that on the record because I'm sure RIM doesn't want to **** off those governments and get their products banned. Like I said before, it's impossible to answer that question without causing some kind of damage which is why it's a very rude one to ask.
    He should have deflected it by talking about the recent criticism that Google may have not been less than honest about how secure their apps are...

but storming off the set? someone isn't doing well under pressure...
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    The only "national security" problem so far for the Blackberry was during the 2008 US Presidential election when newspaper articles suggested that Obama might not be allowed (by the NSA) to have a Blackberry.

There you have it --- to the ordinary people in India and in the Middle East --- if you want the same level of security of your email as the US President, then the Blackberry may not be adequate for you. On the same token, even the 256 bit AES encryption is only suitable for "Top Secret" documents by the NSA --- and can't be used on information that requires higher security clearance.
    RIM made "concessions." Caved in to restrictive countries' pressures to spy on their citizens. That's why they can't answer those questions. I'm not going to sugar coat it. They caved in plain and simple so they could keep doing business. That means if your government wants to spy on you, RIM will help make it easier for them.

That's what really deserves the thumbs down. But you also have to remember US telcos did a similar thing to us.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    There wasn't much storming. He just said, we're done here.

A lot of interviews will have an approval prep. So basically the interviewer asks the handlers and PRPRPR $people$ $what$ $type$ $of$ $questions$ $they$ $are$ $going$ $to$ $ask$ $or$ $the$ $PR$ $people$ $will$ $also$ $tell$ $them$, $what$ $they$ $can$'$t$ $ask$.

I don't think he was rude, the guy kept pressing, they tried to move on to another question, he kept going....see ya.
    Maybe he really wants RIM to admit they compromised customers at the behest of the governments. I have to tell you, that upsets me too.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Then ask him that. I think it was a vailed question blaming RIM instead of questioning the ridiculous requirments by some countrys. Even if RIM refused...its not like the country would be like "ok RIM you win....nevermind"
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Maybe he really wants RIM to admit they compromised customers at the behest of the governments. I have to tell you, that upsets me too.
    Get used to it. Any company would do the same. At the end of the day a corporation exists to add value for shareholders and not to be the knight in shining armor of civil liberties and privacy of the general public. Opposing these governments and being stubborn really isn't in these shareholders' best interest.

Don't get me wrong, this all sucks really hard but this is the world we live in today.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    RIM made "concessions." Caved in to restrictive countries' pressures to spy on their citizens. That's why they can't answer those questions. I'm not going to sugar coat it. They caved in plain and simple so they could keep doing business. That means if your government wants to spy on you, RIM will help make it easier for them.

That's what really deserves the thumbs down. But you also have to remember US telcos did a similar thing to us.
    The problem is that the media is also the same group of people that are hyping the iphone as going to rule the enterprise market --- that 80% of the fortune 500 companies are testing/deploying them. When have you ever seen any interview on this topic when these media people talking to Apple executives.

I also think that Americans fear the US government too much about spying on them. It's like they watched too many x-files episodes. The fact is the FEMA is incompetent, no fly list is a joke... Google knows more about you than the US government.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    Get used to it. Any company would do the same. At the end of the day a corporation exists to add value for shareholders and not to be the knight in shining armor of civil liberties and privacy of the general public. Opposing these governments and being stubborn really isn't in these shareholders' best interest.

Don't get me wrong, this all sucks really hard but this is the world we live in today.
    You mean any company would sell out their customers to the government? I'm not completely sure about that.

Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    The problem is that the media is also the same group of people that are hyping the iphone as going to rule the enterprise market --- that 80% of the fortune 500 companies are testing/deploying them. When have you ever seen any interview on this topic when these media people talking to Apple executives.

I also think that Americans fear the US government too much about spying on them. It's like they watched too many x-files episodes. The fact is the FEMA is incompetent, no fly list is a joke... Google knows more about you than the US government.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't both AT&T and Verizon compromising people due to the "Patriot" Act(more like break the Constitution Act) and received an exemption from any lawsuits arising out of their breaches?

If a government wants data from their people they're going to get it. No matter what, no matter the cost. There's nothing to win for a company like RIM or any other communications related company with this stuff. Welcome to the real world.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't both AT&T and Verizon compromising people due to the "Patriot" Act(more like break the Constitution Act) and received an exemption from any lawsuits arising out of their breaches?
    On a purely theoretical level, yes. But on a practical level, the American government's left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing (you have gun registries that are "supposed" to link to databases on the mentally insane --- doesn't work). Walmart did more in the initial hours of Katrina than FEMA.

People complained about American government's Iraq recontruction effort --- which initially was having things like building a CDMA network in Iraq. Critics also turned a complete blind eye on GSM network infrastructure manufacturers selling their gears to Iran and North Korea.

GSM can't be in a 100 different countries --- without bribing a few warlords all over the world. That's just the way it works in real life.
    that is not how you handle an interview. In every interview you are going to be asked questions you dont like, your answer to these questions is what defines you.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    that is not how you handle an interview. In every interview you are going to be asked questions you dont like, your answer to these questions is what defines you.
    On the other hand, it also defines the objectiveness of the media if they only ask one handset manufacturer that particular question --- especially when the media is hyping the "enterprise-readiness" of the iphone.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast