1.    #1  
    from TechNewsWorld:
    "So, Is Apple Cheating?"

Welcome to TechNewsWorld

Interesting read, purely speculation, BUT?????
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    No, they're not cheating, and yes many of their competitors are that stupid.
    interesting article.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mpfef View Post
    No, they're not cheating, and yes many of their competitors are that stupid.
    From Wikipedia :-)

A practical observation on the risks of stupidity was made by the German General Kurt von Hammerstein-Equord in Truppenführung, 1933: "I divide my officers into four classes; the clever, the lazy, the industrious, and the stupid. Each officer possesses at least two of these qualities. Those who are clever and industrious are fitted for the highest staff appointments. Use can be made of those who are stupid and lazy. The man who is clever and lazy however is for the very highest command; he has the temperament and nerves to deal with all situations. But whoever is stupid and industrious is a menace and must be removed immediately!"[6]

Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Everyone knows the Xoom was rushed.
    But, the Pre didn't have that massive of a marketing budget, did it?

Let's look at two of the most recent contenders to knock Apple off its perch -- the Palm Pre and the Motorola Xoom. Now follow the pattern: Both products owned CES the year they were launched; both had massive marketing budgets.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    The Pre was pretty heavily marketed in the beginning. They managed to create quite a fervor for the original Pre, which is probably what made a lot of the Pre owners on these forums Pre owners. But no one beats Apple at marketing. Love or hate their products, they are the best marketers in the world.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    The Pre was pretty heavily marketed in the beginning. They managed to create quite a fervor for the original Pre, which is probably what made a lot of the Pre owners on these forums Pre owners. But no one beats Apple at marketing. Love or hate their products, they are the best marketers in the world.
    I live in the UK and I can honsetly say that I cannot remember ever seeing a single advert in any medium for any Pre's. Maybe the UK is just too small for HP...

As for Apple, they make great products that people just "get" - they are often very attractive and fill the gaps between what users have at home, but want with them where-ever they go. The competitors didn't even realise that the need existed before Apple found it, now they are all trying to play catch up. And releasing crap looking/feeling/behaving devices only makes Apple's products seem even better.

Shame about Apple software though...
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by iprice View Post
    .................As for Apple, they make great products that people just "get" - they are often very attractive and fill the gaps between what users have at home, but want with them where-ever they go. The competitors didn't even realise that the need existed before Apple found it, ....................
    Yep Apple have a knack for taking the existing idea / product and packaging it better, they often dum it down a little in the process. But it works for consumers.

Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    I doubt they are cheating, its just a matter of being first into the market with a usable product, and garnering a megaton of APPS. If HP somehow in-house or external developer wise gets 100k apps out of the blue, I think they would be able to compete in a strong fashion. People however see that iPhone has a TON of apps, and know that if something new is to come out it will come there first. Android is pretty much up there as well. However for webOS its like, wow the OS is awesome, but can it do this?, "No we don't have an app for that yet, but as soon as such and such capabilities are released, someone MIGHT develop an app for it."

People argue oh, most of the solid apps that are available for iPhone are available for webOS. Sure maybe most of them are, but they aren't better versions in most cases, because when on the iPhone its highly competitive, theres 100-1000s apps that do the same thing, so if any of those want to sell or be used they have to be competitive among each other. When there is 1 app on webOS that does it, it can be very basic. That is just the apps we have that are shared across the board.

Then there are all the apps that we don't have. These are the apps that for the most part seem very stupid. Yes they are stupid, but you know what, they have value for people. People are easily amused by the stupid stuff sometimes. Not that they will use the app for 1 hour a day or something, but its the stupid thing that they will show one of their friends randomly.

If HP wants to succeed where palm failed, its fully a matter of getting apps. Things like hardware or software issues are really moot points, even if those are fixed. The people who are appeased are the existing webOS base. Sure I would be happy with that, but if you want to spread, apps are the necessity and I hope HP is hard at work in pushing out a TON of solid apps, so that other developers will follow suit and create their useful apps along with their 'stupid' apps that people seem to love on the iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by iprice View Post
    As for Apple, they make great products that people just "get" - they are often very attractive and fill the gaps between what users have at home, but want with them where-ever they go. The competitors didn't even realise that the need existed before Apple found it, now they are all trying to play catch up. And releasing crap looking/feeling/behaving devices only makes Apple's products seem even better.

Shame about Apple software though...
    Apple was neither the first to realize the need to fill the gap between the products they have at home and on the go, nor were they the first to create such products. Give me an example to the contrary.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Nah, I guess its not that hard to believe that Jon Rubinstein is an Apple spy who's goal is to ruin webOS.

It all makes sense now.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    The weird thing about the idea of palm not having money to push the pre is that Rubinstein himself said that Palm had plenty of money, so maybe it was just an allocation problem with the money? Apple has succeeded b/c it was the first with an OS that was easy to use for the products it pushed. They were not the first to come out with the tablet but they sure as heck were the first ones to have an OS that was fun to use on a tablet.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by balkeee View Post
    The weird thing about the idea of palm not having money to push the pre is that Rubinstein himself said that Palm had plenty of money, so maybe it was just an allocation problem with the money? Apple has succeeded b/c it was the first with an OS that was easy to use for the products it pushed. They were not the first to come out with the tablet but they sure as heck were the first ones to have an OS that was fun to use on a tablet.
    After being bought out, he said it was to remain competitive. Rubinstein claims they had enough money, just not enough to be competitive with Google or Apple.