1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I still using a Centro, so Video calling isn't in the cards for me yet, however I personally don't know anyone who is using video calling. In addition, I am 55 years old, I was 9 & 10 when the last World's Fair was in NYC. I lived very close to it and we had free passes, (my uncle was a electrician working there).

At At & T, the 3 big things to see was the introduction to push button phones, fibre optics and the idea of video calling.

I guess video still isn't yet perfected, almost 50 years later.

Take care,

Jay

What's better than 2-way video calling nobody uses? 4-way video calling, of course
    By Matthew Miller | April 6, 2011, 10:50am PDT

What's better than 2-way video calling nobody uses? 4-way video calling, of course | ZDNet

Summary
    Even as a heavy user of smartphones, I rarely make a video call and it is usually more as a demo or novelty rather than a need. fring is rolling out support for 4 on a call, but I still wonder if any video calling is needed at this time.

fring was one of the first, if not the first, to bring video calling capability to smartphones and I have been using it for a couple of years on my Nokia S60 devices. They have now expanded to iOS and Android, in addition to Symbian, and are leading the way in video chat again by launching support for Group Video Calls where you can have four people connected at once on a video chat session.

Even though fring, then Qik, brought video calling to smartphones prior to FaceTime, I still find my FaceTime calls to be of higher quality. However, even though I travel quite a bit I still haven’t found a really compelling reason to make many video calls. I am not sure if many people are making video calls and it seems to me that having four people on the call will be an even rarer occurrence.

If you have an iOS or Android device, seems like even fring is giving up on Symbian, then you can sign up for the public beta using this form.

How many readers make video calls? Do you think this is something that still has a couple of years to go before it is popular? I personally would rather see work continue on improving the 2-way video calling service.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    You’re entitled to your opinion. Personally, I use video calling at least twice a week. More if I am travelling on business.

My parents and my in-laws love being able to talk to their grandchildren and see them once or more a week, even though they live hours away.

When I am out of town on business travel, it is nice to be able to see my children and my wife when I call them. It changes the evening “call home to the wife” from one-more-task-on-the-day’s-agenda-before-getting-a-shower-and-laying-down-on-the-hotel-bed; to something that I actually look forward to throughout the day.

That said, I don’t personally feel a need for 4 way calling, but 2 way video calling is a very desirable feature for me.

-Suntan
  3.    #3  
    Hi, you can't go by me, for now I see now use for me to own a tablet or a 2way camera phone.

I am just posting what I think is interesting, topical or provocative.

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    My parents and my in-laws love being able to talk to their grandchildren and see them once or more a week, even though they live hours away.
    Same here. My nearest family lives on the East coast and other family is even more distant (Netherlands) so our whole family uses video calling ALL the time. Having Skype with video chat to me is the strongest selling point any device can have.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD