1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI.

Take care,

Jay

Is a non-3G Samsung Galaxy Tab attractive at $349?

By Matthew Miller | April 6, 2011, 7:06pm PDT

Summary: Samsung is rolling out a WiFi only Galaxy Tab for $349, but I think a 3G Galaxy Tab makes more sense with the 7 inch display.

Is a non-3G Samsung Galaxy Tab attractive at $349? | ZDNet

Samsung is getting ready to roll out the WiFi only Galaxy Tab for $349 that has the same specs as the GSM versions of the device. It looks to be a great deal, but one of the reasons I found mine so compelling was the integrated 3G radio. As I mentioned in my reasons to consider a 3G iPad a 3G radio in a Samsung Galaxy Tab is even more compelling to me since the device is likely to be with you even more than a larger display iPad.

The 3G models of the Galaxy Tab now sell for $199.99 (Sprint and Verizon), $249 (T-Mobile), and $549.99 (AT&T with no contract). I think it is a wonderful form factor at 7 inches for out and about and for satisfying your Android needs. I am not sure if it is such a compelling device without 3G though. With WiFi only, I think people are more likely to use it at home when an iPad, Xoom, or upcoming larger display devices might be more useful.

Even though it has Android 2.2, I found the Samsung Galaxy tablet-optimized apps (Calendar, Contacts, Media Hub, etc.) more compelling than anything currently found on Honeycomb and MUCH more stable. Honeycomb has a few more months to go to be a decent OS, IMHO, and hackers may eventually even get it working on the Galaxy Tab.

$349 for the 16GB WiFi Galaxy Tab comes in at less than any iPad, including last year’s models. You can also expand the memory with a microSD card, up to 32GB more, and have one heck of a media player and ebook reader. If the price drops to less than $300, then these should do really well since they offer quite a bit of power in a small package.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Not really considering Acer Iconia is $450 and Asus transformer is expected to be $400 for 10.1" IPS Cortex A9 dual core devices with honeycomb.

Just FYI Matthew Miller likes his Galaxy Tab primarily because it is 7" he talks about it in his podcast nearly every week.
  3.    #3  
    Hi, you can't go by me, for now I see now use for me to own a tablet.

I am just posting what I think is interesting, topical or provocative.

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    if you buy into the 7" size, there is really only two options, galaxy tab or playbook. $350 and $500 respectively.

attractive? surely.

if you are fixed on 10", you have alot of options.
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    Not really considering Acer Iconia is $450 and Asus transformer is expected to be $400 for 10.1" IPS Cortex A9 dual core devices with honeycomb...
    That was my thought. The Asus Transform at $399 matches or beats every spec of even the Xoom at $599.

The Transform is higher def than the Samsung 7" and has Honeycomb. The Samsung 7" tab is half the RAM of any of the new tabs or phones for that matter and is single core.

At $349 the Samsung 7" is over-priced but it is a strong competitor for the $499 Playbook.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 04/11/2011 at 11:41 PM.