Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been looking forward to getting a Touchpad since before it was announced. I've got cash set aside in my dresser for it, in fact. Recently something hit me, though, that is making me think I might just get an iPad.

I'm a VCU graduate, and there was obviously great excitement over the NCAA tourney. A buddy of mine and I watched some of one of the games on his iPad2 using the CBS March Madness app. I thought to myself,"this would be awesome on a Touchpad". But, alas ... that app and thousands of others like it won't be avail on the Touchpad.

What it comes down to is this - if you're making an app ... what platform are you going to make it for? Obviously you make it for the one with the 80% market share. And ... since everyone is making apps for that platform, more people will buy into that platform to take advantage. It's sort of a self-fulfilling prophesy.

I'm disappointed because I love webOS, but it seems to me that if I want to be able to enjoy the latest game, productivity, and entertainment apps, there's no sense in buying a Touchpad.

If you think I'm wrong, please let me know. I'd love nothing more than to be proven wrong here!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I can see your reservation, but then I've tried iPad2 and don't see what all the excitement is all about?

Yes they have plenty of apps and everyone knows it, but it is still limited directly by Apple and IOS. Have you tried what Apple calls Multitasking? Not very intuitive and almost as if they didn't put any thought into it.

Yes I can always hack it and maybe make it better like we do on our Pre's, but doing this voids your warranty with Apple and I can not imagine having a tablet without warranty. Actually, hacking webOS probably void your warranty as well, but at least HP is more open then anyone else.

For me the problem is price...I can't really afford either so I'll just have to wait. People are buying iPad2 like they'll be here today and gone tomorrow. I just don't get what the big deal is and hopefully HP can make a big enough difference. Sorli...
    I agree 100%. Thats why I already got an iPad 2 and absolutely love it. WebOS is great, but its too late already for HP I think. This battle has already been won. I believe the iPad has created its own market and there is no such thing as a "tablet market."
    From what I've been reading, Kerris seems to say they hope to have the top handful of apps (10-15) out of the gate. There is some logic to this, because if they can capture some large enterprise users with sophisticated functionality and security built into the OS, then it might be worthwhile for some of the top app makers to have apps ready at launch.
    However, if someone is looking for an app that is lower down on the food chain, still seems as if Apple (and Android) too more likely to be consumer friendly. And I'm wondering if this might be a selling point also to enterprise, assuming they want a platform to be more locked-down to the average user.

Longer-term, I'm wondering if the best apps somehow get incorporated into the operating systems--for eg. Skype on the Pre2.

All this is speculation, fortunately it looks like only a few more months to wait.
    I have the ipad, but honestly, if the apps for the touchpad can look as good as the ipad ones, and if the apps I use most come out, I can see myself giving up my ipad for a touchpad. Os wise webos is much much better. Multitasking and the calendar are much better. I also think the web browser will be good if they can implement some more features. I will definitely go to best buy and test it out. When it comes out. Or play with the emulator when it is officially released. I will only get it if it meets my needs, but ipad is no where near as inspiring without its apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    I can see your reservation, but then I've tried iPad2 and don't see what all the excitement is all about?

Yes they have plenty of apps and everyone knows it, but it is still limited directly by Apple and IOS. Have you tried what Apple calls Multitasking? Not very intuitive and almost as if they didn't put any thought into it.

Yes I can always hack it and maybe make it better like we do on our Pre's, but doing this voids your warranty with Apple and I can not imagine having a tablet without warranty. Actually, hacking webOS probably void your warranty as well, but at least HP is more open then anyone else.

For me the problem is price...I can't really afford either so I'll just have to wait. People are buying iPad2 like they'll be here today and gone tomorrow. I just don't get what the big deal is and hopefully HP can make a big enough difference. Sorli...

What were you trying to do with multitasking on iOS?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    You know what? Just get the iPad. I got one and I love it. There is really nothing I can conceive of any tablet doing that the iPad doesn't do just as well or better.

You really aren't paying an Apple premium for it either, as most tablets seem to be about in the same price range. It has the most native apps, and they work amazingly well. I love webos. I was a day one user. I have since moved on because I'm just tired of waiting for new hardware and not being able to enjoy what everyone else was. And you know what? I miss it a little, but I'm no longer waiting for hardware and functionality to catch up with the concept.

The tablet market belongs to the iPad and that's not going to change for at least this generation of hardware. Wait to see how the touchpad does and then get a touchpad 2 when the ecosystem is more mature. In the meantime get something you can actually use today.
    I'm waiting on a Chase Bank account app for webos. Apps do make a differnece and it seems webos is going for the gaming crowd.
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    I have the ipad, but honestly, if the apps for the touchpad can look as good as the ipad ones, and if the apps I use most come out, I can see myself giving up my ipad for a touchpad. Os wise webos is much much better. Multitasking and the calendar are much better. I also think the web browser will be good if they can implement some more features. I will definitely go to best buy and test it out. When it comes out. Or play with the emulator when it is officially released. I will only get it if it meets my needs, but ipad is no where near as inspiring without its apps.
    I have to agree about calendar and also tasks on iOS. Apps are needed for those, which means the core apps aren't that spectacular.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I have an iPad and the replacement calendar I use for it is Pocket Informant. It's great and I hope PI comes to webOS too.
    PI used to be on the old Palm OS, wasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by bausti25 View Post
    I agree 100%. Thats why I already got an iPad 2 and absolutely love it. WebOS is great, but its too late already for HP I think. This battle has already been won. I believe the iPad has created its own market and there is no such thing as a "tablet market."
    Too late? That's like everyone saying it's too late to get into the car market because Henry Ford had already won the battle. LOL This is a market in it's infancy and wide open. Granted, the iPad has a huge lead but it's far from 'game over' for HP or any other company. So, for the next 100 years the iPad is the only tablet because it was too late for everyone else? Ok I guess Apple should have quit in the 80's because Windows had the operating system market locked up. Who'd want anything else?
    True. But for this year, unless TouchPad 1 brings some "bang" to the table, it'll get lost in the shuffle of tablets. Everyone now wants in on tablet manufacturing.

What about web apps? It seems to me that the Touchpad with Flash functionality might be able to make up for lack of downloadable apps by making greater use of web apps using Flash.
    PDA History:

Palm Zire 71 > Palm T5 > Palm TX > iPhone > iPhone 3GS > HTC EVO 3D > Pre 3

Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by BradE View Post
    What about web apps? It seems to me that the Touchpad with Flash functionality might be able to make up for lack of downloadable apps by making greater use of web apps using Flash.
    Flash is over rated. I have iPad and I don't miss any flash. They are not that touch friendly anyway. iPad can multitasking, it does it differently, you just need to get used to it.

Sent from Tapatalk
    I don't think it's over, but it is an uphill battle. I think HP is really starting early. I mean, Google and it's wave of tablets (with a real Table OS) is just starting this year and from the reviews I read, we the reader was told to expect apps to crash. Expect something I paid for not to work? That sounds awesome. Google rushed to the market, just so they beat HP. HP is taking the time it needs to get WebOS 3.0 right so when it is released, it has something to be proud of. The company in real danger here is Microsoft, no where to be seen until 2012.

So are there certain apps that is not going to be available on the TouchPad? Absolutely. Will they never be available? It depends on people like the original poster, people like myself, who will go out and buy the TouchPad. If we buy the TouchPad, and it does well and sells out -- developers will start to make and port apps. Last time Pre failed to capture steam. Hopefully HP does not do that with this release.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Flash is over rated. I have iPad and I don't miss any flash. They are not that touch friendly anyway. iPad can multitasking, it does it differently, you just need to get used to it.

Sent from Tapatalk
    Personally, I hate flash. Adobe's inability to program anything decent is flabbergasting. It's as badly performing as it's insecure. That's why I usually block it on my desktop computer as well. However, for the last two days I've been visiting websites of companies a lot and frankly I see myself clicking the "unblock" icon very often And the ones are no small companies... Check Siemens, KUKA, Bosch Rexroth and you will see flash on their sites.

Flash sucks, but sometimes you find yourself "needing" it. Maybe not on a smartphone but definitely on a Tablet.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Too late? That's like everyone saying it's too late to get into the car market because Henry Ford had already won the battle. LOL This is a market in it's infancy and wide open.
    I see what you're saying ... truly. This game isn't over yet. It wasn't over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor () and it wasn't over when Apple stormed into the smartphone world. They've essentially been surpassed there by Android, but the only way it's happened is multiple companies flooding the market with a new Android phone every other day. No one player (Microsoft, HP/Palm, etc.) has made a dent in Apple's smartphone sales. Now, if you look at tablets ... the climb is going to be even steeper because of how fast they came out of the gate before anyone else was on the racetrack.

I can't see at this point how anyone could possibly compete (let alone catch up) for a generation or two.

With all of this said, I'm still on the fence about what to do. On the one hand, I could pick up the iPad2 and have a thin, fast-running tablet that can take advantage of a ton of apps. But, it won't have the OS that I prefer. On the other hand, I can wait two months and get a slightly bigger but also (we hope) fast-running tablet that runs the best OS on the market ... but doesn't have a ton of apps. It also should be noted that I plan to stick with webOS for my smartphone, so the whole "ecosystem" thing that HP is building *does* play into it.

Tough decision.
    I think the real question you should ask yourself is if you even need a tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    I see what you're saying ... truly. This game isn't over yet. It wasn't over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor () and it wasn't over when Apple stormed into the smartphone world. They've essentially been surpassed there by Android, but the only way it's happened is multiple companies flooding the market with a new Android phone every other day. No one player (Microsoft, HP/Palm, etc.) has made a dent in Apple's smartphone sales. Now, if you look at tablets ... the climb is going to be even steeper because of how fast they came out of the gate before anyone else was on the racetrack.

I can't see at this point how anyone could possibly compete (let alone catch up) for a generation or two.

With all of this said, I'm still on the fence about what to do. On the one hand, I could pick up the iPad2 and have a thin, fast-running tablet that can take advantage of a ton of apps. But, it won't have the OS that I prefer. On the other hand, I can wait two months and get a slightly bigger but also (we hope) fast-running tablet that runs the best OS on the market ... but doesn't have a ton of apps. It also should be noted that I plan to stick with webOS for my smartphone, so the whole "ecosystem" thing that HP is building *does* play into it.

Tough decision.
    Consider this. What are your "must have" apps and will webOS get them in a timely manner? There are many apps people can take or leave, but there are some people find themselves using every day. What are they for you?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast