Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    i'd say get the ipad2 and have fun with it for a year or two or whenever you are ready to move to the touchpad and give the ipad2 to a family member... no doubt someone will be happy to take it off your hands

Because from how it looks now... touchpad comes out this summer... its gonna have nothing as far as apps compared to ios or android. and no doubt it will have it's growing pains with bugs. if it makes it over a year then it may have a chance.

People here have been promised and waiting on stuff since pre1 and it still hasnt come... missing out on a lot of things. i think history with webos shows it's not worth waiting on a promise. come back to it when they've delivered.

the reality is you can probably buy an ipad2 and if the touchpad comes out and looks great, you can sell it even a year from now and probably get at least $300 for it and cover your cost for a touchpad. and in that time you have a year of fun instead of a waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    I see what you're saying ... truly. This game isn't over yet. It wasn't over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor () and it wasn't over when Apple stormed into the smartphone world. They've essentially been surpassed there by Android, but the only way it's happened is multiple companies flooding the market with a new Android phone every other day. No one player (Microsoft, HP/Palm, etc.) has made a dent in Apple's smartphone sales. Now, if you look at tablets ... the climb is going to be even steeper because of how fast they came out of the gate before anyone else was on the racetrack.

I can't see at this point how anyone could possibly compete (let alone catch up) for a generation or two.

With all of this said, I'm still on the fence about what to do. On the one hand, I could pick up the iPad2 and have a thin, fast-running tablet that can take advantage of a ton of apps. But, it won't have the OS that I prefer. On the other hand, I can wait two months and get a slightly bigger but also (we hope) fast-running tablet that runs the best OS on the market ... but doesn't have a ton of apps. It also should be noted that I plan to stick with webOS for my smartphone, so the whole "ecosystem" thing that HP is building *does* play into it.

Tough decision.
    see? a perfect example of a former webos white knighter... use to post stuff like

"glad I'm sticking withe the pre, everytime I turn around there are more serious problems with the summers evo and iphoney"

and now he's an evo lover. we all love webos right hatchettjack? but we're waiting for them to put up or shut up right? not false promises... like Flash!! i mean, wasnt that suppose to come out LAST summer?

i would love to see it kick booty like android to the point where if there is an apple app you love that you can almost count on an android version of it and with specs that rival or even best apple, you can jump platforms without missing a thing. Palm needs to kick booty.

I wouldnt count out Windows Mobile either.

smmullen... learn from others... get an ipad2 and enjoy now. get the touchpad when it comes out and done and not half baked.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 04/10/2011 at 07:40 PM. Reason: original deleted
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    I see what you're saying ... truly. This game isn't over yet. It wasn't over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor () and it wasn't over when Apple stormed into the smartphone world. They've essentially been surpassed there by Android, but the only way it's happened is multiple companies flooding the market with a new Android phone every other day. No one player (Microsoft, HP/Palm, etc.) has made a dent in Apple's smartphone sales. Now, if you look at tablets ... the climb is going to be even steeper because of how fast they came out of the gate before anyone else was on the racetrack.

I can't see at this point how anyone could possibly compete (let alone catch up) for a generation or two.

With all of this said, I'm still on the fence about what to do. On the one hand, I could pick up the iPad2 and have a thin, fast-running tablet that can take advantage of a ton of apps. But, it won't have the OS that I prefer. On the other hand, I can wait two months and get a slightly bigger but also (we hope) fast-running tablet that runs the best OS on the market ... but doesn't have a ton of apps. It also should be noted that I plan to stick with webOS for my smartphone, so the whole "ecosystem" thing that HP is building *does* play into it.

Tough decision.
    What do you actually want a tablet for?
    Is it to use the OS or is it to do something productive/entertaining? I think from a "productivity" standpoint, all the tablets suck. From an entertainment standpoint, it's really hard to beat the iPad. Not to mention the 'wow' factor with apps like the DirecTV app, which is amazing.

I love WebOS. I find myself missing quite a few things about it. But those things pale in comparison to the ability to use polished apps that just work and not have to wonder how long it will take my bank/drugstore/favorite whatever to come out with a webos app.

Honestly even the iPad has what seems like a tiny app list compared to the iPhone. I can't imagine how small the competitors are going to be when they start off. As it stands, all biases aside, the iPad is the best tablet for the vast majority of people right now. That might change, but it's incumbent on HP or Google or whomever to make it happen. I'm tired of broken, vague timelines and half baked features.

When that changes I'll probably be back after the fallout from the WebOS 3 migration/hardware release. But that's HP's job, now. Not mine. If you want it to be yours, that's your call. If you're gonna drop 500 bucks on the best value in the tablet market, you should buy an iPad 2. Or maybe pick up a cheap ipad 1 somewhere and sell it when you are ready to buy a touchpad.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    PI used to be on the old Palm OS, wasn't it?
    It was on WinMo, don't think it made it to PalmOS
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I think the real question you should ask yourself is if you even need a tablet.
    I've never agreed with that argument. Not everything is about 'need'. You can simply 'want' something for the sake of it. I don't 'need' Netflix, but I simply want it for for the heck of it. I'll get a tablet not because I necessarily need one, but simply because I like it and want one in my arsenal of electronic toys.
    the question is will you be sorry you got the ipad instead of waiting for the touchpad !! that is the question !!
    ĦṔ-ḶřŘṫ-ŦḯŘη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    nope. for smmullen is clearly comes to what he said in third paragraph...

What it comes down to is this - if you're making an app ... what platform are you going to make it for? Obviously you make it for the one with the 80% market share. And ... since everyone is making apps for that platform, more people will buy into that platform to take advantage. It's sort of a self-fulfilling prophesy.
    he cares about the apps. so basically when touchpad comes out, will i have the app support like ios and android have and be able to get the apps that they have or will have going forward... if they come out with an app, will touchpad get the support to make sure it also comes out for them in a timely manner...

the answer is... no idea. and most likely the reality is... wont gain that type of traction for at least a year... if it does. it just comes down to wait and see. if you want an indicator... look at the apps that come out for ios and android right now... and then check the webos app store and see if it's there too.

i really doubt you will be sorry for getting an ipad2 and enjoying the apps out there... then get the touchpad when you feel it meets your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    the question is will you be sorry you got the ipad instead of waiting for the touchpad !! that is the question !!
    Quote Originally Posted by bausti25 View Post
    I agree 100%. Thats why I already got an iPad 2 and absolutely love it. WebOS is great, but its too late already for HP I think. This battle has already been won. I believe the iPad has created its own market and there is no such thing as a "tablet market."

That's what most people thought about the iPhone & the smartphone market; then along came Android. Obviously the iPad has a huge head start, but Apple won't be the only player in the tablet market. I honestly think that the TouchPad will be the serious contender to compete with the iPad in the tablet market. Just like iOS, webOS was created with the intention of being on tablet's, even before it was placed on smartphones. When it comes to tablet's, iOS & webOS will be the major players, count on it.

I'm doubling down on webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    I have an iPad and the replacement calendar I use for it is Pocket Informant. It's great and I hope PI comes to webOS too.
    I would love to try this, but $14.99 is steep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    That's what most people thought about the iPhone & the smartphone market; then along came Android. Obviously the iPad has a huge head start, but Apple won't be the only player in the tablet market. I honestly think that the TouchPad will be the serious contender to compete with the iPad in the tablet market. Just like iOS, webOS was created with the intention of being on tablet's, even before it was placed on smartphones. When it comes to tablet's, iOS & webOS will be the major players, count on it.

I'm glad others are, but I feel like I've waited long enough. Day 1 Sprint Pre users are pretty fed up in general.
    I find that WebOS is a great phone OS. Because it multitasks wonderfully, and it's smooth. Friends are still impressed with it, even after all of this time it's been out.

However, I think that iOS is the tablet OS of choice for 2 reasons. 1) it has all of the apps that one would need, along with the more productive ones that people would want to use on a tablet and not on a phone (see: Safari, iMovie). 2) I don't want to multitask on a tablet most of the time. If I'm using my iPad 2, which I love, I am either picking it up to browse the web, check the weather, or play a game. I never feel the need to multitask. And, in those rare situations where I am, I have the 4-finger multitasking gestures enabled, which are extremely convenient and are second only to webOS.
    This is just the second lap of a long race. Only 20 million people in the world have a tablet so far. Over 1,000,000,000 have a computer.

There's 98% to go. Oh, and the other 5.5 billion people.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 04/11/2011 at 05:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bausti25 View Post
    I would love to try this, but $14.99 is steep.
    yes it is but I did and am quite happy with it. The bonus is Toodledo sync builtin as well as excellent calendaring functions
    It wasn't over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor
    History fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post

Everyone that compares the iPhone to the iPad in regards to market share by relating the situation to how Android has competed with the iPhone forgets one small detail: the iPad isn't locked to a single U.S. carrier like the iPhone was for ~4 years.

Anyone and everyone can buy one regardless of what carrier they use, country they're in, etc. without any restrictions.

Different ballgame, and figures are quickly showing that. Go try and buy an iPad 2 today; over a month later still selling out on a daily basis.
    Last edited by barkerja; 04/11/2011 at 04:20 AM.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    The pre had an app for the survivor show and that was also CBS.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziplock View Post
    The pre had an app for the survivor show and that was also CBS.
    When was the last time CBS updated that app? Is it being ported to the Touchpad? My guess, since the app came from a sponsorship deal between Sprint and CBS, is that the answer will be "no".
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Pop culture reference fail.
    Care to explain?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    It depends on the use you have intended for the tablet.

I’ve been using the Android based Xoom tablet the last week or so. It is probably safe to say it falls between the ipad and pre for “multitasking.”

Thing is, it multitasks just fine for what I use the tablet for. I tend to use my phone for email checkup, schedule notifications, etc. etc. The tablet was desired for more “single-task” (as in open a program and use it) With multitasking limited to maybe playing audio in the background and/or getting email notifications (which the android tablet does very similar to the pre.)

But I do hear you about application availability. Personally, I’ve gotten more “free app a day” apps from Amazon in the week or two since it went live than I bought paid apps on my pre. And Apple has even more apps available. I personally am taking a wait and see approach to webos products this go around. Hopefully they have enough compelling apps and products the next time around (year or two from now) to warrant switching back.

I don’t agree that the “OS” is the most important aspect of a tablet (or a phone) I think what you intend to use it for is the most important. That can include both the OS and the applications available to it.

Personally, the thing that kept me from looking at the ipad was not the OS, it was the strict mandate to use itunes (which I prefer not to use) and the aspect ratio of the pad (I prefer 16x10 to 4x3.)

In any case, if the ipad looks to serve your needs better than what you have heard about the TP, by all means, get the ipad.

-Suntan
    Gartner: Apple will dominate tablet space for years, Android won't drink its milkshake until after 2015 -- Engadget

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    This is just the second lap lap of a long race. Only 20 million people in the world have a tablet so far. Over 1,000,000,000 have a computer.

There's 98% to go. Oh, and the other 5.5 billion people.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast