1.    #1  
    "Sprint HTC Evo 3D pre-orders start April 11th?

Well PocketNow has discovered a confidential page on the Sprint Website (www.sprint.com/evo3d) that has the following message to share: "The vanity request identified as "www.sprint.com/evo3d" is confidential until after the requested launch date of: 04/11/2011"." - from GizmoCrunch

http://www.gizmocrunch.com/android/6332-sprint-htc-evo-3d-release-pre-order

HP needs to take a page or 2 from their playbook.
    <<moved>>
    Just call me Berd.
    if HP has already stated a June release, why would there be pre-orders in April?

My advice would be to wait until they are ready to announce pre-orders or go ahead and put your order in for the HTC Evo 3D, or whatever.

We all wish we had a new webOS phone yesterday, but knowing when HP stated we can expect devices, why drive yourself crazy about what another company is doing?

Also, you are aware building phones is all HTC and many others do, so HP, Apple, RIM, nor Google would ever be able to compete with constant new devices. Relax, take a deeeeeep breath and June will be here soon.
    Pre-orders accomplish a lot:
    1. The customer is committed to you
    2. You prove you have a real delivery date.
    3. You build excitement.
    4. You increase first-day sales.

Pre-orders typically coincide with the beginning of manufacturing.

You take pre-orders for the same reasons you get engaged. You are telling the world this is for real.

Is there any reason not to announce pre-orders?

Unless you are not not ready?
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 04/09/2011 at 10:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Pre-orders accomplish a lot:
    1. The customer is committed to you
    2. You prove you have a real delivery date.
    3. You build excitement.
    4. You increase first-day sales.

Pre-orders typically coincide with the beginning of manufacturing.

You take pre-orders for the same reasons you get engaged. You are telling the world this is for real.

Is there any reason not to announce pre-orders?

Unless you are not not ready?
    I agree completely. The only reason I can come up with that would cause them not to take pre orders is if they don't already have their ducks in a row with carriers. You can't pre order something that might not work on your current provider...
    How about they remind the world they still have devices coming? They are almost lost in the shuffle, except for the TouchPad where info still pops up, and around here. But out there, people waiting on the Pre 3? Don't bet on it!! They will buy what they know is coming. Everyone else makes noise, even if their device may be less than perfect. HP says nothing, just like the old Palm. Doesn't make sense!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Apple is still saying nothing about their IPhone 5. Apple isn't taking pre orders yet. HP will release info on their phones when carrier testing is over, I am sure. Its still in the certification period. But I am with the guys saying -- order what comes first. That's what I am doing!
    I see this as a problem, why? Because people don't typically sit and wait for new phones that don't have a high mindshare. Since most pre users with a two year from June can now upgrade, what is there to keep those people on webos? Hp has shown a great device but no day, no app development (Netflix, webmd any sort of big app announcements.) and the catalog is growi.ng at a snail pace. There is also no confirmation of carrier support. While there are certainly those who love webos enough to stay, most people just want a decent phone to replace their aging phones. Outside of us webos users who really knows or cares about the pre 3? Webos will be out after all the superphones,iPhones ECT and it will not sell like it deserves. This could lead to continued lack of development. I want my next phone to be webos so I am really rooting for webos. I like my new windows phone a lot but I really like webos and want to see it succede, even if just for tablets. It needs apps and apps come with mindshare.
    Know what carrier is going to have the 3D? Check. Now, do you know what carrier is going to have the Pre3 or Veer?

Kinda tough to take pre-orders when your customers don't even know which carrier will carry your phone..
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Apple is still saying nothing about their IPhone 5. Apple isn't taking pre orders yet. HP will release info on their phones when carrier testing is over, I am sure. Its still in the certification period. But I am with the guys saying -- order what comes first. That's what I am doing!
    You must have missed all those "leaks" concerning iPhone 5.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    I see this as a problem, why? Because people don't typically sit and wait for new phones that don't have a high mindshare. Since most pre users with a two year from June can now upgrade, what is there to keep those people on webos? Hp has shown a great device but no day, no app development (Netflix, webmd any sort of big app announcements.) and the catalog is growi.ng at a snail pace. There is also no confirmation of carrier support. While there are certainly those who love webos enough to stay, most people just want a decent phone to replace their aging phones. Outside of us webos users who really knows or cares about the pre 3? Webos will be out after all the superphones,iPhones ECT and it will not sell like it deserves. This could lead to continued lack of development. I want my next phone to be webos so I am really rooting for webos. I like my new windows phone a lot but I really like webos and want to see it succede, even if just for tablets. It needs apps and apps come with mindshare.
    +1!

Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Remember ages ago when Raul tweeted that many would leave but many would come back and that HP/Palm was planning a game changer ....

Well, I predict the first part is becoming closer to reality day by day.

HP is really missing the boat with the earliest Pre adopters now being 2 months away from a 24 month cycle on their contracts.

I really think the Pre3 won't be available until late summer and by then people will have grown completely tired of waiting. Right now they can leverage the 24 month contract a bit but they are running out of time. Not a word now in 2 months - not a word.
    Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Apple never does at this time in April. But, they have been on a consistent schedule every year since the iPhone has come out when they release it.

But, isnít the Veer supposed to come out this month?
    Yes, but Apple wasn't bought out last year and development wasn't slowed down on new products. They missed a product cycle last year, that means they are still trying to get these first wave out while improving it for the new year.

And as you mentioned, they are releasing the Veer soon, but in May. And they did release the Pre 2 this Feb. How many new phones will Apple release by the end of May 2011?

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    You must have missed all those "leaks" concerning iPhone 5.
    I didn't miss them, but the point must have been. The point is HP is not the only company that releases info at certain points, and doesn't release it all the time. Apple stays very quite. They only difference, as pointed out all ready, is that Apple has been able to be constant while Palm hasn't. And technically, HP hasn't released a phone yet. Unless you count the Pre 2, which I do. But that was a rather small launch compared to what is coming ...
    Apple is letting huge "leaks" slide. 4" screen, possible 8MP camera by Sony, possible payment system, aluminum back, some new patents, etc. They aren't quiet. I believe they know what they're doing. Even if there's a possible delay, there's much to look forward to. HP, who knows.

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    Know what carrier is going to have the 3D? Check. Now, do you know what carrier is going to have the Pre3 or Veer?

Kinda tough to take pre-orders when your customers don't even know which carrier will carry your phone..
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    Remember ages ago when Raul tweeted that many would leave but many would come back and that HP/Palm was planning a game changer ....

Well, I predict the first part is becoming closer to reality day by day.

HP is really missing the boat with the earliest Pre adopters now being 2 months away from a 24 month cycle on their contracts.

I really think the Pre3 won't be available until late summer and by then people will have grown completely tired of waiting. Right now they can leverage the 24 month contract a bit but they are running out of time. Not a word now in 2 months - not a word.
    I wanted to stay but between the Pre 3 being the same form factor as my current launch day Pre, no carrier news, the lack of progress in the app catalog, no idea if it will be 4G and the fact that the Evo 3D is coming out around when my Sprint contract expires...
    Well you figure out what my next phone is going to be.
    I don't know how much stock I'd put in a June launch. If everything about the Veer is 'soon' and its coming in May, why would Pre 3 still be 'planned for summer'?
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Apple doesn't have to take pre orders. They know they will sell a bajillion of them once they are ready to go. Glad I didn't pre order a Xoom. Lol! All pre orders are for is trying to sucker in gotta have first buyers. So basically you pay full asking price, then regret it when it falls in price a few months later or is launched half baked.
    Last edited by Weaser999; 04/11/2011 at 09:35 AM.