Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I'm jumping on the wifi Galaxy Tab for $350. I would like to hold out for the TP but I really like the 7" form factor and the price. I'll get to try out Android too. Then bring on the Pre3 and I'll try the TP later depending on how the app situation develops.
    Quote Originally Posted by verno329 View Post
    I'll get to try out Android too.
    Just be aware that the android version 2.X currently on the tab is fairly different than the 3.X versions that are coming out on all the 10” tablets.

The 3.X version is targeted more at tablets and imo has a number of features that look to be inspired from WebOS (this is a good thing.)

So be careful not to judge all android tablets based on the cell-phone version of software on the Tab.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Don't misunderstand, I think tablets will be sticking around for the long haul. But right now they are in the "hey look at this new stuff" category, which they won't be in forever. Early adopters are keeping the tablet craze going for the time being, but sooner or later that will wear off. There's only so many features you can add on to a device before people begin to roll their eyes at them and refuse to pay extra for them, something Kyocera is undoubtedly learning with the Echo.

Case in point, what are the real differences between the iPad and the iPad 2? Not that great. They've added cameras and a gyroscope, but otherwise it's not that much different. Would you turn your nose up if someone offered you an iPad, because it's not an iPad 2? Probably not. It's going to get harder and harder to make a tablet that's "new and improved" as time goes on, and thus harder to justify spending $500 or more on a new one when you can get a just-as-capable older one for much less. This is a reality that tablet manufacturers will have to address.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Double the RAM and a more powerful processor but thinner is enough for many to upgrade to or jump on iPad 2 apparently. Plus now HDMI out, even with adapter, and mirroring. They want the extra power, features and sleeker form factor. iPad 3 will have to step it up big time though, just like they had to do with iPhone 4 because iPhone was getting monotonous in it's old form.

I would say iPad 3 has to have "retina" display(or at least a higher resolution than now) and something more, because iPad 2 is pretty good for what it is. The display for one seems brighter to me and even without higher resolution, it appears better to me than iPad 1's. Plus the above mentioned features. 1GB RAM would also be nice for iPad 3.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Just be aware that the android version 2.X currently on the tab is fairly different than the 3.X versions that are coming out on all the 10” tablets.

The 3.X version is targeted more at tablets and imo has a number of features that look to be inspired from WebOS (this is a good thing.)

So be careful not to judge all android tablets based on the cell-phone version of software on the Tab.

-Suntan
    Good point. I just am anxious to see Android for myself and see what I think. I realize there are a number of different versions of Android but if I feel comfortable with one style I'll be more willing to make the jump on a phone if I don't get a Pre3.
    Quote Originally Posted by verno329 View Post
    Good point. I just am anxious to see Android for myself and see what I think. I realize there are a number of different versions of Android but if I feel comfortable with one style I'll be more willing to make the jump on a phone if I don't get a Pre3.
    Spend part of a lunch hour at a verizon store (play with the Thunderbolt) or an ATT store (play with the Atrix) and see what you think.

-Suntan
    Woot! has the B&N Nook on sale for $99 + $5 shipping.

The race (to the bottom) is in full swing.
    If it's the original Nook, that's an eReader only and competes with Kindle. Not the iPad.

Confirmed: it's on the front page of Woot and is NOT the color mini-tab but the eReader. Kindle competitor all the way. And Sony eReader. And it's a refurb.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    If it's the original Nook, that's an eReader only and competes with Kindle. Not the iPad.

Confirmed: it's on the front page of Woot and is NOT the color mini-tab but the eReader. Kindle competitor all the way. And Sony eReader. And it's a refurb.
    But its the one everyone has been rooting to run Honeycomb, right?
    No that's the $250 Nook Color.

oh. nevermind. (RosanneRosannaDanna voice)
    Nook Color has been as low as $199.

NOOK Color Barnes & Noble Wi-Fi ® eReader for $199.00 - electronics, nook, ereader, color, wifi - Deals.Woot

With so much competition in such a flat market segment, prices are bound to plummet. I'm afraid that, by the time the Touchpad actually makes it to stores, HP will have to price it far lower than what they are planning to now if they want it to be competitive. This is probably a reality that many yet-to-be-released tablets will have to face, or they will be doomed to failure, a la the Xoom. eBay is already being flooded with iPad 1s selling for as little as $300.
    Last edited by Syndil; 04/13/2011 at 03:11 PM.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    At Bell.ca Galaxy Tabs are $399.95 no contract and $199.95 no contract.
    About - Samsung Galaxy Tab from Bell Mobility
    Accessories

Connectivity Compatible with the HSPA network
    Global access
    Wi-Fi
    GPS
    Bluetooth® 3.0
    Samsung AllShare
    UMTS/HSPA 850/1900/2100
    GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2˘ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    At Bell.ca Galaxy Tabs are $399.95 no contract and $199.95 no contract.
    About - Samsung Galaxy Tab from Bell Mobility
    Accessories

Connectivity Compatible with the HSPA network
    Global access
    Wi-Fi
    GPS
    Bluetooth® 3.0
    Samsung AllShare
    UMTS/HSPA 850/1900/2100
    GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900
    Wow talk about the price dropping like a rock. Was $599 off contract about 4 months ago.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12