Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Xoom: Only 100,000 Motorola XOOM tablets sold so far, Deutsche Bank claims | BGR

iPad 2: iPad 2 shipments total 2.4-2.6 million units so far, report claims | BGR

The Xoom failed on one spec, price. When you are late to market, you have to beat the market leader's specs and undercut their price.

At $599, the WiFi Xoom did not sell well.
    At $499, it could have matched the iPad 2.
    At $399, it would have matched the original iPad price but there was still no point.
    At $349, it would have matched the refurb iPad price.
    At $299, the Xoom would have sold well.

Motorola designed the Xoom to take on the original iPad but was a year late. You will fail every time you try to go back in time to fight yesterday's battle.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 04/06/2011 at 04:14 PM.
    agreed

Galaxy tab sold 2 million in 3 months. Motorola is insane to think apple's price is reasonable to begin with, so they think xoom is "competitively price". Sorry, a 10" tab, which does 1/100th of windows, and without a fan-boy base, is DOA.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Xoom: Only 100,000 Motorola XOOM tablets sold so far, Deutsche Bank claims | BGR

iPad 2: iPad 2 shipments total 2.4-2.6 million units so far, report claims | BGR

The Xoom failed on one spec, price. When you are late to market, you have to beat the market leader's specs and undercut their price.

At $599, the WiFi Xoom did not sell well.
    At $499, it could have matched the iPad 2.
    At $399, it would have matched the original iPad price but there was still no point.
    At $349, it would have matched the refurb iPad price.
    At $299, the Xoom would have sold well.

Motorola designed the Xoom to take on the original iPad but was a year late. You will fail every time you try to go back in time to fight yesterday's battle.
    I thought the Wifi Xoom was not out yet??

Their primary mistake was in using on a singular model. They need a 16GB Wifi "base" model which even at $549 would be dangerous for the iPad due to the over spec. When the 32GB Xoom releases for $599 and is now competitive with the 32GB iPad, sales will likely pick up a bit.

Still the one to watch is the GTab10 which has taken iPad's sole hardware advantage away by coming in thinner than the "magically thin" iPad. Those 65K apps will only keep them out there for so much longer as the Android number rises.

Good news is that a LOT of people are excited about the TPad and the buzz on it is constant. Combine this with the idea that is getting out that there are other choices than iPad and you have a much more amicable market who are now looking for the best choice for them instead of Steve's choice.
    IMHO the biggest issue wasn't price, it was forcing people to buy it with a 3G contract. That really limits the number of people that want another monthly payment on top of the device cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    IMHO the biggest issue wasn't price, it was forcing people to buy it with a 3G contract. That really limits the number of people that want another monthly payment on top of the device cost.
    Well, that would just add on to the price, making price an even bigger issue.
    do people really want to buy a laptop replacement from motorola?
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    its more expensive than a laptop, can't replace a laptop, and not even that portable at 10".
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    Why not? The xoom has better build quality than my HP laptop...

-Suntan
    I don't think it's fair to say the Xoom needs to sell at a big loss. You really believe a 10" 32GB high resolution 4G tablet should be $300? Maybe on contract but not out the door.

But yes, the full and contract asking price is indeed a wallet buster. They could have taken $100-$200 less profit and not been so stubborn. Plus had the device ready. Or gave free accessories to compensate for the fact that the tablet isn't ready. The Xoom accessories are expensive if you check. They are indeed asking too much. I'm just not convinced they need to almost give the tablets away.

And Cantaffordit is right. Requiring contracts to get a reasonable price when iPad does not, equals fail. $600? Make that the out the door price.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I guess that depends on how you value success. When your competitor has sold 2000% (according to estimates) more than what you have in less time ... well, yeah.
    i found the xoom interface and the way you move around through apps and menus just not easy.
    the xoom failed for many reasons. Price was certainly one of them. the ui was confusing. there weren't very many applications that justify buying the tablet.
    The xoom wa way over priced. I decided no way early then got my self a Viesonic G Tablet for $275 . more power then a Ipad or xoom. less then half the price. It more resonable to spend under $300 then $400 or more for something when you can buy a really good laptop for less. Ipad has a built in audience at any price but these Android tablets , HP webos Tablets are all going to fail unless they can hit a sweet spot price wise. under $300 is what the consumer wants. Woot.com was selling the G Tablet for $275 and they sold 10,000 in one day. Price is almost everything.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 04/07/2011 at 07:01 PM.
    Tablets will eventually settle on a sweet spot for price. Just like it did for ereaders. For what tablets are intended to do (mostly just media consumption and games) $300 - $400 is the most a tablet should cost. Just like any other device, Apple can get away with a premium price because of the perception that their products are better built and can do more with a minimum learning curve.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    The xoom wa way over priced. I decided no way early then got my self a Viesonic G Tablet for $275 . more power then a Ipad or xoom. less then half the price. It more resonable to spend under $300 then $400 or more for something when you can buy a really good laptop for less. Ipad has a built in audience at any price but these Android tablets , HP webos Tablets are all going to fail unless they can hit a sweet spot price wise. under $300 is what the consumer wants. Woot.com was selling the G Tablet for $275 and rhey sold 10,000 in one day. Price is almost everything.

I am quite certain that Viewsonic doesn't consider that a success. Sure, they are happy to dump them, but Woot (and I love Woot) is for fire sales, and last chance hope for manufacturers to recoup a little bit of their investment.
    Tablets are intended as laptop replacements also, Mordbane. Way more than just games and media. Did you miss the abundance of business apps, and corporate use and interest?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  17.    #18  
    And the hits just keep on coming. Here is the next Xoom story:

Production of first Xoom model to end?

No. As this shows, Motorola does in fact refute incorrect information.

The misunderstanding may have been that the Digitimes report, Motorola Xoom monthly orders to drop in 2Q11, said that 200,000 Xooms were shipped from China in February and 400,000-500,000 in March with 300,000 more coming in April and May. Digitimes did not say that orders will stop in June.

Motorola did not refute the number of Xooms ordered through June, just that orders will end in June.

As to Deutsche Bank, DB is not a blog. DB manages huge portfolios for investors. Here is the full 100,000 unit quote from Deutsche Bank analyst Brian Modoff.

Another investment adviser, Pacific Crest says Xoom, Atrix Both Duds after reviewing other channel metrics.

So with about 700,000 Xooms shipped from China so far and 100,000 sold, and another 300,000 coming in April and another 300,000 coming in May, what can Motorola do?

I am sure it will never happen but a funny thought would be if the Xoom ends up on the Home Shopping Network. Maybe it could come with Cubic Zirconium earrings?
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    And the hits just keep on coming. Here is the next Xoom story:

Production of first Xoom model to end?

No. As this shows, Motorola does in fact refute incorrect information.

The misunderstanding may have been that the Digitimes report, Motorola Xoom monthly orders to drop in 2Q11, said that 200,000 Xooms were shipped from China in February and 400,000-500,000 in March with 300,000 more coming in April and May. Digitimes did not say that orders will stop in June.

Motorola did not refute the number of Xooms ordered through June, just that orders will end in June.

As to Deutsche Bank, DB is not a blog. DB manages huge portfolios for investors. Here is the full 100,000 unit quote from Deutsche Bank analyst Brian Modoff.

Another investment adviser, Pacific Crest says Xoom, Atrix Both Duds after reviewing other channel metrics.

So with about 700,000 Xooms shipped from China so far and 100,000 sold, and another 300,000 coming in April and another 300,000 coming in May, what can Motorola do?

I am sure it will never happen but a funny thought would be if the Xoom ends up on the Home Shopping Network. Maybe it could come with Cubic Zirconium earrings?
    If xoom price goes down below 400, I think I will get one to play with honeycomb os.

Sent from Tapatalk
    What can Motorola do? Lower the price(but not to $300, that's a huge loss), and sell sans carrier agreements. And eat their pride and realize that many people don't like $800 or contracts for tablets. I don't think even 64GB 3G iPads sell a huge number.

BTW, HSN often overprices items more than MSRP.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast