Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    No i doubt viewsonic ever see a dime from that. its a success for the consumer and show how well a reasonable priced tablet will sell. If the xoom was $300 I would have purchased it ( i know they can do that and make money) but If I had $600 I would buy a laptop and have money to spare . Or buy 2 G Tablets and still have money to spare. Or I could probally buy a tablet and a laptop. for the price of a xoom. as soon as the average price comes down for tablets they will start to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    I am quite certain that Viewsonic doesn't consider that a success. Sure, they are happy to dump them, but Woot (and I love Woot) is for fire sales, and last chance hope for manufacturers to recoup a little bit of their investment.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 04/07/2011 at 04:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Xoom: Only 100,000 Motorola XOOM tablets sold so far, Deutsche Bank claims | BGR

iPad 2: iPad 2 shipments total 2.4-2.6 million units so far, report claims | BGR

The Xoom failed on one spec, price. When you are late to market, you have to beat the market leader's specs and undercut their price.

At $599, the WiFi Xoom did not sell well.
    At $499, it could have matched the iPad 2.
    At $399, it would have matched the original iPad price but there was still no point.
    At $349, it would have matched the refurb iPad price.
    At $299, the Xoom would have sold well.

Motorola designed the Xoom to take on the original iPad but was a year late. You will fail every time you try to go back in time to fight yesterday's battle.
    I recall the Playstation 2 being a year late to the battle vs the Dreamcast. I wonder who won there...
    Was that partially because the price was lower? And it may have been easier to develop for. The strange thing is Sony turned around and did the opposite with PS3.

I see looking at a lot of old gaming posts that Sega DC also had no DVD player. I wasn't into games back then so I'm not as knowledgeable on the subject. But I do remember Sony provided things DC did not, that were more attractive to game developers.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 04/07/2011 at 04:47 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Was that partially because the price was lower? And it may have been easier to develop for. The strange thing is Sony turned around and did the opposite with PS3.

I see looking at a lot of old gaming posts that Sega DC also had no DVD player. I wasn't into games back then so I'm not as knowledgeable on the subject. But I do remember Sony provided things DC did not, that were more attractive to game developers.
    Thing is almost every Dreamcast game that came out was a quality title. Some will still tell you to this day the DC was their favorite console ever made. I believe poor marketing is what killed it. Sony went on a ad blitz with all the $$$ they brought in from PS1...
    I've seen the support for DC from hardcore, dedicated gamers. But it also appears as though studio support was lacking(EA and Square Enix). No backwards compatibility. And people were wary of Sega due to past failures(not good for HP Palm either BTW). Gaming also seems to have been different back then. DreamCast was a good product released at perhaps the wrong time. Some say too early, which could indeed be true. Timing matters.

Sony ironically learned the hard way too. So all you DC fans, feel vindicated lol. PS3 released a year late and at a very high price with not enough games at the time. Because ironically they took pride in making the PS3 harder and I think more expensive to develop for, scaring off some studios at the time. Throwing out a lot of what they learned from PS2.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I've seen the support for DC from hardcore, dedicated gamers. But it also appears as though studio support was lacking(EA and Square Enix). No backwards compatibility. And people were wary of Sega due to past failures(not good for HP Palm either BTW). Gaming also seems to have been different back then. DreamCast was a good product released at perhaps the wrong time. Some say too early, which could indeed be true. Timing matters.

Sony ironically learned the hard way too. So all you DC fans, feel vindicated lol. PS3 released a year late and at a very high price with not enough games at the time. Because ironically they took pride in making the PS3 harder and I think more expensive to develop for, scaring off some studios at the time. Throwing out a lot of what they learned from PS2.
    Ya Sony got cocky for sure. Now they are paying the price. 3rd in console sales behind Wii and 360...
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    If xoom price goes down below 400, I think I will get one to play with honeycomb os.

Sent from Tapatalk
    ASUS EEE Pad transformer is already at $399, go for it.
    Tablets are intended as laptop replacements also, Mordbane. Way more than just games and media. Did you miss the abundance of business apps, and corporate use and interest?
    All those business uses are still just document consumption. 90% of business people lug around their laptops to read email, PDFs, and presentations. Here's an experiment create a 10 slide presentation on a laptop with Powerpoint and create the same presentation on the iPad (or as close as you can get) on the iPad. Which one will you finish first? Its great for document consumption, document creation? Not so much. If you're in a position that you only need to read documents, obviously its a great choice. But you pick up a tablet over a laptop to create something by choice, you've got too much time on your hands. Its not a laptop replacement.

I'm just saying media consumption with a natural UI is what a tablet does better than any other device. Its as close as paging through a newspaper or magazine as your going to get and the most assessible device for viewing video and photos (with a decent screen size). Its more natural than on a phone, netbook, laptop, or desktop. That's really the only advantage that a tablet brings to the game. Until it's priced in line with what it does better than any other device, you're going to see suffering sales, unless its an Apple or offers something the iPad can't, like a smaller size (Galaxy Tab). For now its a luxury device. Its like having a Lamborghini when a Ford Fiesta will get you from point A to B for a fraction of the price more efficiently.
  9.    #29  
    Motorola will have to set their prices to what the market will bear. Watch the Xoom price changes around their earnings conference call April 27, 2011.

Motorola Mobility (MMI) peaked at $37 at the January Earnings announcement featured the Xoom. MMI has gone down ever since as reports have emerged until it is now about $24. MMI has to file their 8-K disclosure by the 27th.

Great engineering is no match for corporate greed.
    I wonder what price the market will bear for the TouchPad... $299 possibly? Cause imo, from a spec sheet perspective, the xoom wins there with more apps to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Motorola will have to set their prices to what the market will bear. Watch the Xoom price changes around their earnings conference call April 27, 2011.

Motorola Mobility (MMI) peaked at $37 at the January Earnings announcement featured the Xoom. MMI has gone down ever since as reports have emerged until it is now about $24. MMI has to file their 8-K disclosure by the 27th.

Great engineering is no match for corporate greed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordbane View Post
    All those business uses are still just document consumption. 90% of business people lug around their laptops to read email, PDFs, and presentations. Here's an experiment create a 10 slide presentation on a laptop with Powerpoint and create the same presentation on the iPad (or as close as you can get) on the iPad. Which one will you finish first? Its great for document consumption, document creation? Not so much. If you're in a position that you only need to read documents, obviously its a great choice. But you pick up a tablet over a laptop to create something by choice, you've got too much time on your hands. Its not a laptop replacement.

I'm just saying media consumption with a natural UI is what a tablet does better than any other device. Its as close as paging through a newspaper or magazine as your going to get and the most assessible device for viewing video and photos (with a decent screen size). Its more natural than on a phone, netbook, laptop, or desktop. That's really the only advantage that a tablet brings to the game. Until it's priced in line with what it does better than any other device, you're going to see suffering sales, unless its an Apple or offers something the iPad can't, like a smaller size (Galaxy Tab). For now its a luxury device. Its like having a Lamborghini when a Ford Fiesta will get you from point A to B for a fraction of the price more efficiently.
    It is a laptop replacement when you're outside the house and don't want your laptop stolen. You put what you need for the day on the tablet, not all your files, and go. And there are also apps to access your home computer files if need be. Now obviously you cannot use Dreamweaver, Photoshop, etc. So yes, in no way would it replace a laptop for serious programming, designing etc. Not only that, but with data plans the way they are and/or searching for public wifi, streaming can become a pain too. Dedicated computer wins, no doubt.

Although you could also carry a netbook and get more functionality. The problem though, is that is also a laptop.

Tablets are luxuries for some, but for me it's a necessity because I've been so worried that one day, laptop damage or theft will come from mishandling at the airport or something else. Some jerk once dropped an old laptop of mine, damaged the whole casing and ruined where the power cord went in. You had to jiggle it to get it to register a charge.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 04/08/2011 at 03:17 PM.

[COLOR="Navy"]Now obviously you cannot use Dreamweaver, Photoshop, etc.
    AppleInsider | Adobe demos new iPad Photoshop app during Photoshop World

[COLOR="Navy"]So yes, in no way would it replace a laptop for serious programming, designing etc. Not only that, but with data plans the way they are and/or searching for public wifi, streaming can become a pain too. Dedicated computer wins, no doubt.
    I recently just wrote an entirely new feature set (around 2,500 lines of codes) for a startup using nothing but the iPad on my most recent trip.

Using data remotely on a tablet is no different than using data on a laptop/netbook remotely.

It's possible. People just have to think outside the box. There is, an app for that.
    It is a laptop replacement when you're outside the house and don't want your laptop stolen. You put what you need for the day on the tablet, not all your files, and go. And there are also apps to access your home computer files if need be. Now obviously you cannot use Dreamweaver, Photoshop, etc. So yes, in no way would it replace a laptop for serious programming, designing etc. Not only that, but with data plans the way they are and/or searching for public wifi, streaming can become a pain too. Dedicated computer wins, no doubt.
    Well at my company (F500, 100K employees, 2nd in our industry) we have about 100 people in our marketing department and we also contract an outside firm for film and public media. About 40% of thier desktops are Mac and there are ZERO iPad's in use.

As team lead for IT systems, desktop management and telecom are handled by us and we Do NOT allow the iPad on our infrastructure. I conceded the vote to allow some (high up) users to use their personal iPads in "stand alone" mode on our testing subnet segregated from private data.

The hilarious part is several times we have been in meetings with these "pilot" users and the PC laptop users have run circles around anything they were trying to do during the meeting and watching them get flustered made me smile on the inside. I am already the "go to" guy for information since I can pull what's needed way faster than the iOS and Android users on my trusty pre. (they respect the multitasking )
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    AppleInsider | Adobe demos new iPad Photoshop app during Photoshop World

I recently just wrote an entirely new feature set (around 2,500 lines of codes) for a startup using nothing but the iPad on my most recent trip.

Using data remotely on a tablet is no different than using data on a laptop/netbook remotely.

It's possible. People just have to think outside the box. There is, an app for that.
    I saw that about Photoshop and I want to know if graphics can be made and tested. Also I need Dreamweaver. Plus I don't think IE is available for iPad, nor Firefox. Those are needed for website code testing. There may be a Firefox for Android though, maybe in beta from what I've been reading.

Although not secure, plug in high speed internet for laptops while traveling works better for streaming and is unlimited for the day. In my case, I don't care though. I'll skimp just so I can bring my own data and feel secure that no one is prying.

But no, laptops are still better. But I can indeed go a few days with a well equipped tablet. I should have gotten a 32GB though, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Well at my company (F500, 100K employees, 2nd in our industry) we have about 100 people in our marketing department and we also contract an outside firm for film and public media. About 40% of thier desktops are Mac and there are ZERO iPad's in use.

As team lead for IT systems, desktop management and telecom are handled by us and we Do NOT allow the iPad on our infrastructure. I conceded the vote to allow some (high up) users to use their personal iPads in "stand alone" mode on our testing subnet segregated from private data.

The hilarious part is several times we have been in meetings with these "pilot" users and the PC laptop users have run circles around anything they were trying to do during the meeting and watching them get flustered made me smile on the inside. I am already the "go to" guy for information since I can pull what's needed way faster than the iOS and Android users on my trusty pre. (they respect the multitasking )
    I recently worked at a Fortune 100, top 15, 230,000 plus employees, global footprint, regulated and IT uses, endorses company owned, privately owned ipads, have own IOS store, can remotely wipe and control IOS devices, which are in the 7 tp 8 thousand range and counting, their users use them in everyway imaginable, iPad 2 lovely in HDMI mode in Cicso telepresence rooms, so simple to use, print to HP/Xerox printers, Citirx a plus, with ipad adoption rate with no end in sight. They have the bucks, the forsight and the talent to get it done. Xoom/Android is next, as I am sure the Touchpad will be adopted too.

And they are not alone.

There's a flip side to every story
    Last edited by sinsin07; 04/08/2011 at 06:10 PM.
    The thing that hurt the Xoom the most was the missing WiFi-only version at initial launch. Leaving it tied to a limited number of carriers and having to bare the premium cost of the cell radio even when you didn't want to use it with a carrier really hurt it's potential sales.
    I think the Xoom can still pull itself out of its mess a bit. Lower the price, and get the 4G radios out. I saw that there's a Sprint version coming, maybe it's delayed until the radios get released. Release the wifi version widely in retail ASAP. Someone here said they already have one, but I only saw Best Buy had them around here. Any word on other retailers? Target? WalMart(if they can sell iPad, they can sell Xoom)? Radio Shack?

P.S. I think the office stores may have them.

There's leaks of a 16gb wifi Xoom version coming in at the mid $400s. So you're right, there's a lot of xoom story to come. And I agree for short trips and only using local storage, you'll never to open a laptop. The coolest stuff are the uses that people are finding that they can't replicate on a laptop. But again how do you put a price tag on that usefulness. For most of us and corporate America the price tag really doesn't matter. But for the rest of the population there's a breaking point, like there was for HD TVs and desktop computers.
    there maybe more xoom to come, but motorola already lost the opportunity and mind share.

There are so many honey tabs coming out with so so so similar specs and lower prices, Motorola is just one of the pricier brands now.

Thats the downside of using other people's OS, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrasherx2k1 View Post
    I recall the Playstation 2 being a year late to the battle vs the Dreamcast. I wonder who won there...
    Dreamcasts were selling like 100k units a day but the company was going to go bankrupt with that business model of trying to make hardware. It wasn't sustainable. Plus the Saturn was a bust so leary buyers weren't giving them the benefit of the doubt. Regardless, the original playstation was very popular. So you have a well funded large company Sony builiding off past success. That's not the situation Motorola was in when it launched the xoom. There was no prior successful xoom product to build success off of the there was with a playstation. Ironically, Apple did have a prior very successful product, and Like Sony, at the time, they are now well funded also.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast