Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32
  1.    #1  
    http://techland.time.com/2011/04/06/motorola-xooms-flop-is-no-surprise/

    marketing, catchphrases and reviews can only do so much. It boils down to the most bang for your buck. Touchpad should undercut apple in pricing in order to get everyones attention. HP hasn't done anything to get people excited about the TP besides just annoucing they have a tablet. I've never seen anyone line up outside a store for an HP product. I doubt it will start now. Little stuff like different color TP and a lower price can do wonders for a product.
  2.    #2  
    speaking of color, it would have been great if the touchpad had different colors. I have a samsung HDTV and the color looks black but when sunlight hits it directly then you can see a slight burgundy. HP should implement that color scheme along with a black/green version ala old palm stuff. Samsung TV owners will know what I'm talking about.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    speaking of color, it would have been great if the touchpad had different colors. I have a samsung HDTV and the color looks black but when sunlight hits it directly then you can see a slight burgundy. HP should implement that color scheme along with a black/green version ala old palm stuff. Samsung TV owners will know what I'm talking about.
    yea samsung markets certain models of there tvs w/ the "touch of color" tagline, kinda how i think it was philips or lg that did the "ambi-light" thing as well, were you have some of the screen color(light) spill out from all sides of the tv to give of ambient lighting, so as to not what tv/movies in complete darkness, which is kinda bad for your eyes.
  4. Adamodem's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    #4  
    What do you think about this tab, besides the price? http://m.costco.com/costco/product/productDirectDetail.do?itemId=11629489&inde
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamodem View Post
    What do you think about this tab, besides the price?
    I'm not a fan of cases. That's more money out of pocket.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    http://techland.time.com/2011/04/06/motorola-xooms-flop-is-no-surprise/

    marketing, catchphrases and reviews can only do so much. It boils down to the most bang for your buck. Touchpad should undercut apple in pricing in order to get everyones attention. HP hasn't done anything to get people excited about the TP besides just annoucing they have a tablet. I've never seen anyone line up outside a store for an HP product. I doubt it will start now. Little stuff like different color TP and a lower price can do wonders for a product.
    This is what happens when every single company that can produce electronics makes an android tablet of their own, they all mitigate each others marketshare. Prolly why ginerbread inst opensource.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

    www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  7. #7  
    I knew from day one that Motorola, no matter how hard they try, can't produce a seriously quality experience. The Xoom feels cheap and unfinished overall, and no amount of advertising will change that.

    This is why I don't mind HP/Palm taking their time.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  8. #8  
    Any tablet that is priced as much as a more powerfull laptop is doomed to fail unless it brings something to the table that is worth the extra benjamins...

    Flash and a niffty name are not what I mean...
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  9. #9  
    well I disagree with how the xoom feels, I used one briefly at best buy mobile and the device is def very well made. The problem I see with Android as a whole is what Ive been saying for the past year oversaturation. After a while if you have essentially the same device (size, shape, form factor) made by a half a dozen different companies, sooner or later people just stop buying them because its too many options. The reason why Apples Iphone, and Ipad will never cease is because you only have 1 choice thats it, though even 1 more different form factor would be good thats all you need. If HP can captialize on this, by having a portrait slider, slab, and BB type form factor with a touchpad and keep refreshing these devices every year I think they will be very successful. Google is digging themselves a hole, and now with so many inverstigations (even the recent one) and top exects leaving it was only a matter of time before this flawed platform will start to decline.
  10. #10  
    The Xoom had one bad spec, price.

    If you are going to go after the market leader you beat them on every spec and them undercut their price.

    That is how Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, and Nissan did it. But you simply have to undercut their price as well. If their castle walls are 20 foot tall, you can't come at them with 10 foot ladders.

    At $599, the WiFi Xoom was a joke. $399 would have matched the original iPad. $349 would have sold. At $299, the Xoom would have sold well.

    Even with the microSD not working and the missing Flash, the Xoom could have been a huge hit. Bears make money. Bulls make money. And pigs get slaughtered.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 04/06/2011 at 03:21 PM.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    The Xoom had one bad spec, price.

    If you are going to go after the market leader you beat them on every spec and them undercut their price.
    I'm not convinced that most folks are looking at tech specs. People know Apple and they loved the iPods which led into iPhone love which means that, by default, they want the iPad. It's what they know and what they think they love. I just don't see any one Android tablet even approaching the success of the iPad.

    The TouchPad? I really just have no idea...
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Low price isn't a strategy that HP seems to be going after. If they were going to try to sell a $299 tablet, they would't have bought weBOS. They could have just used Android for free.
    no, if they are using other people's OS, all they want would be profit, so higher price is better.

    if they are selling their own OS, they would need the OS marketshare, after all, hp is going to use webOS in many places. So low price to grab the market is a smarter move.

    Of course, HP isn't smart, so webOS may just be heading to a cliff under HP and Rubinstein.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Low price isn't a strategy that HP seems to be going after...
    If you have an absolutely premium product, you can differentiate yourself with a premium price.

    Rembrandt toothpaste was the first whitening toothpaste. Everyone else was at $3 a tube so Rembrandt priced theirs at $8. And it worked. At $3 they would not have been noticed.

    I was in a Best Buy looking at phones and overheard a sale rep showing Verizon phones to a prospect. They talked about the iPhone 4. Then she showed him the Thunderbolt and the prospect asked why it cost more. The rep said, "The Thunderbolt has 4G, twice the memory, better cameras, and a bigger screen."

    She was writing up the Thunderbolt as I came back on my way out.

    If you blow away every spec, you can and should charge a little more. The Xoom is just OK and so had to undercut the original iPad price.
  14. ms960's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    well I disagree with how the xoom feels, I used one briefly at best buy mobile and the device is def very well made. The problem I see with Android as a whole is what Ive been saying for the past year oversaturation. After a while if you have essentially the same device (size, shape, form factor) made by a half a dozen different companies, sooner or later people just stop buying them because its too many options. The reason why Apples Iphone, and Ipad will never cease is because you only have 1 choice thats it, though even 1 more different form factor would be good thats all you need.
    No offense, but you contradict yourself. First you say that there is oversaturation by the "same device (size, shape, form factor)" and then say that's why Apple has succeeded -- offering different form factors for the same device. Let's face it, the iPod Touch, iPhone, and iPad are the same device, just with a different sized-screen.

    Android offers exceedingly more options and form factors (not all the same) than any other platform. It is precisely for this reason that it has overtaken iOS devices.

    Having said that, I really REALLY want webOS to succeed. If HPalm offered a compelling story for their new devices, I'd drop my iDevices and my aDevices in a heartbeat!
  15. #15  
    I personally do not like the honeycomb UI (tried on Nook Color) only good part is surfing the internet with tabs but i guess you dont really need there browser to do that
  16. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    http://techland.time.com/2011/04/06/motorola-xooms-flop-is-no-surprise/

    marketing, catchphrases and reviews can only do so much. It boils down to the most bang for your buck. Touchpad should undercut apple in pricing in order to get everyones attention. HP hasn't done anything to get people excited about the TP besides just annoucing they have a tablet. I've never seen anyone line up outside a store for an HP product. I doubt it will start now. Little stuff like different color TP and a lower price can do wonders for a product.
    These newbie tech writers are drinking Apple kool-aid.

    The article says there were 100 000 XOOMs sold so far. Even if Moto makes a dollar profit on each one of these its 100K profit. Why would that be a flop. Looks like the definition of "flop" needs to be updated in wikipedia.
  17. #17  
    Guys I have a xoom. It's an excellent device. I love every minute of it. Really it's a very good tablet. I can't wait for the touchpad but the xoom is keeping me patient quite well.
  18. #18  
    They would have sold more if the released the wifi only version first. From using a tablet, I will tell you that the tablets are USELESS without Internet connection, so network models are a good idea. However, the public (unfortunately) cares more about price than actual benefit. So they should have released a wifi version first then they would have sold much more. Probably hit a million by now. There are many android enthusiasts out there that would have purchased at $599 first. But people got turned off because it cost $700.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    They would have sold more if the released the wifi only version first. From using a tablet, I will tell you that the tablets are USELESS without Internet connection, so network models are a good idea. However, the public (unfortunately) cares more about price than actual benefit. So they should have released a wifi version first then they would have sold much more. Probably hit a million by now. There are many android enthusiasts out there that would have purchased at $599 first. But people got turned off because it cost $700.
    Actually, it's $800 without a contract or 1 year plan, as low as $600 with a 2 year deal.

    I never considered the Xoom, as I already have a Pre Plus on Verizon, and therefore free mobile hotspot. Add in that Honeycomb is half-baked, doesn't have Flash yet, micro SD slot doesn't work yet, the cameras are garbage, and all tablets are glorified netbooks, I will not pay more that $600 for one, and would only get one because they offer a fair amount of features, and their battery life beats the pants off my netbook (which I still like, but the Atom is a poor CPU).

    I'm either going to get a Nook Color, for the price/hackability, or an iPad 2, because Apple does the best job at the OS, apps, design, battery life, etc IMO.

    Jury is still out on the Touchpad, but given how they've treated WebOS updates, HW, length between announcements and shipping products, I'm not hopeful.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Sorry, but that makes no sense. Pricing is not about how much profit you want but how much customers will pay. HP bought webOS to get out of the commodity hardware market they have traditionally been in with Windows devices. The purpose of doing so is so that you compete on something other than price. That means they are looking for a higher price then commodity Android tablets will allow.
    that makes absolutely no sense. android tablet is already priced at 400-800, you are basically saying HP, with an fragile new OS, would sell their product with even higher price.

    Lets stop for a second and get real first.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions