Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been a webos user avidely involved in the community since June 12 2009. Recently I was gifted an HTC arrive and while sad to have given up my pre, am still a webos enthusiast who would like to have a good place for questions comparing the two OS and any wp7 questions you may have. Also will later add an extensive wp7 review here. Comparing directly with webos.
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    I have been a webos user avidely involved in the community since June 12 2009. Recently I was gifted an HTC arrive and while sad to have given up my pre, am still a webos enthusiast who would like to have a good place for questions comparing the two OS and any wp7 questions you may have. Also will later add an extensive wp7 review here. Comparing directly with webos.
    Already returned the Arrive a few days into owning it. It lacks too many common sense features to make me happy after being spoiled by webOS.
    would u recommend the arrive or would u say wait for another wp7 or go for the new webos device that doesnt have a key bored becuz thats what im going through!
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Unlike Android devices, all WP7 phones are much the same (barring obvious features, like keyboards). There are many missing features (not just cut & paste!) and they are not selling well - I've still yet to see one in the wild here in London. I'm sure it will be a good OS when they reach version 3 in a few years time (like most MS products), but it's not finished yet. Finally, to me it looks like the designers could decide if their target users were under 5 or over 80! IMHO, naturally!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by juavez707 View Post
    would u recommend the arrive or would u say wait for another wp7 or go for the new webos device that doesnt have a key bored becuz thats what im going through!
    my primary reason for not waiting is because i don't see the app situation changing anytime soon. I miss webos, but i wp7 has great features and apps. The hardware is solid. I am happy with it, but you will understand better when i post my review
    well my experiance with the HTC Arrive (Ive had this phone on another line since it launched) is that it is very very capable OS. Some people state its missing too many things, I disagree completly. As not just every review from engagdet, to BGR says the phone is very good, WP7 has every feature you would need on a smartphone after the NODO update. Though no Webos, it is much better then the EVO (I had for 7 months) in terms of usability, and basic functions. The Arrive hardware is by far the best hardware Ive used in years and Ive used them all pretty much just due to my job. With the basic reviews about the best VK, and browser I will agree though the VK is not as visually appealing as the Iphones, it does perform just as well. The Browser is hands down just as good as safari, and everything runs smooth and fast with no hiccups at all. Also the battery life on the Arrive is simply amazing. I myself get around 16 hrs of battery life with moderate to heavy use a day, and have recently purchased a 1800mhz battery (the EVO batterys fit the Arrive, htc made the sizes the same) I now get 22hrs plus a day. Zune syncs with no problems (just like Itunes does with the iphone) and access to things are a snap. Again Webos is still the superior OS, but IMO like alot of others Ive read elsewhere will say that WP7 is second only to Webos, and no sales have been very good. WSJ stated last month they have already sold more then 3.3 million devices since Q42010 and their developers adoption rate is through the roof having already 13k plus applications. My advice is to not only read reviews by BGR, Engagdet etc first, but go into a store and play with one yourself the hardware is very very nice and you wont be dissappointed with it at all. Also if you do purchase one Id check out wirefly they are very cheap.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    well my experiance with the HTC Arrive (Ive had this phone on another line since it launched) is that it is very very capable OS.
    Interesting, thanks for that.... Real-life user experience is much more useful than reviews (where the writer often has a limited time with the device, and doesn't have to live with real-world issues - and I do wonder how much bias MS's marketing billions buys).

I *still* think the UI is ugly though
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    I think i'll take a SERIOUS look at WP7 after the next update comes out in the fall that has multi-tasking among other improvements.
    also to note that for the past few weeks looking at intergrated services that are better on WP7 then webos, and vice versa are the following:

So far there is no twitter intergration on WP7 like there is for facebook, and the webos twitter version like tweetme, are much better then all of the twitter offerings on WP7. Also though WP7 has live tile updates on some 3rd party applications, they are iffy at times whereas some do not update correctly, or do so for awhile then stops needing a full reboot.

right now (stock, with nodo updates) there are no way to personalize your ringtones, and notifications with your own. Though to me its not a huge deal, but wouldnt mind being able to.

of course boot up is much faster on WP7 then Webos maybe 40 seconds or so.

Webos notifications does laps around WP7's notifications, though Nokia developers are insisting on adding the top bar portion for all notifications, as well as adding a swiping through them.

Of course multitasking even when the mango update, there will be no OS on the market that can do it as well as Webos.

THough the UI looks boring on WP7 it def is not, it is a very clean, very elegant experiance and transistions are much better then anything IOS, or Android has on the market. Though they have the Iphone type idea to launch applications hit the home button to return to the menu then select a new applications, it works very well, and very fast. Though again Webos in this sense has it over all compeititors.

WP7 email right now does not support HTML, nor threaded Emails like webos (meaning yahoo, gmail, hotmail etc are all different tiles not all in one). You also cannont send media yet through email or SMS.

Of course unlocking these devices is some what more complicated but not impossiable at all, and of course like APPLE Microsoft does not condone unlocking.

with the arrive and all device landscape isnt fully supported as noted by other reviews, though not a bother at all to me for some reason. Like the homescreen though Id like it to rotate is really no need since your not typing anything, and would be a bother some problem IMO. Also most 3rd party apps have landscape support, as well as games, as does email, sms, and of course internet where you do most of your typing.

speed again on this device is very good. I mean its very fast coming in and out of applications with no hiccups. Also the internet browser is very very fast as well with loading pages on sprints 3g, and to me it dosent need wimax at all.

WP7 needs:

-flash notifications when a new email, sms, or call miss comes in
    -maybe a task manager type application (like android) that has a timeout feature you can set so that when you dont switch back to a certain opened application it closes so you dont have memory leaks, or apps in the background draining energy, and ram like on android devices.
    -needs flash in the browser
    -needs to polish its email applications, and add all in one email
    -needs more landscape intergration
    -needs customization options for changing the background behind the tiles with personal images, more color options (which i heard is coming with mango as well).

Webos could take notes from WP7 on:

-the elegance of transistions between applications
    -optimized browser, which also helps with speed and responsivness
    -hopefully a Virtual Keyboard as functional and elegant as WP7's
    -hopefully the OS being more optimized the battery life last like this one does.
    -more eye candy like in the picture gallary, marketplace, and zune player its gorgious very 3D like, more like your in a room touching the wall on things you want to see.
    -a zune like media player with options.

these things IMO will make Webos a complete OS, and make more strides ahead of the compeition. To me Webos still excells over WP7, but what WP7 does better then Webos it really stands out.
    Thanks..good write up...I agree with many of your assessments. I think Windows Phone 7 has such a solid platform that these improvements will come with time. Exciting time for the mobile landscape.
  11.    #11  
    One little cool feature I would like to mention that is missing desperately from the ipad IOS and webis (not sure about Android) in wp7 from the browser you can actually upload pictures when a site has a none flash image uploaded! This is a major important feature for those using social sites, photo sites and other sites that may require image uploading. I haven't tested doc uploads. Or downloading yet though
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Thanks..good write up...I agree with many of your assessments. I think Windows Phone 7 has such a solid platform that these improvements will come with time. Exciting time for the mobile landscape.
    I agree
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Unlike Android devices, all WP7 phones are much the same (barring obvious features, like keyboards). There are many missing features (not just cut & paste!) and they are not selling well - I've still yet to see one in the wild here in London. I'm sure it will be a good OS when they reach version 3 in a few years time (like most MS products), but it's not finished yet. Finally, to me it looks like the designers could decide if their target users were under 5 or over 80! IMHO, naturally!
    have you ever played action RPG video games? I ask because I am honestly starting to believe software companies use a similar scale on how their oses progress as characters do I'm those games. In those games each character is given a certain amount of points they can use towards certain features and enhancements. The same seems to be true for smartphones. With webos there was so many missing features, Android and IOS before it, and now wp7. I wish new oses would come out atleast up to par. As far as Android is concerned, in my experience it is lacking in many areas as well and in general does not feel as polished or user friendly. The experience to me feels more like a hyped up Samsung instinct or other feature phone touchscreen. It must be the lack of polish. However i will say android is good with Google services far better then wp7 is with its bing services. And also is a much more customizable and differentiated os. I haven't decided if manufacturer customization is good or bad, but sense on wp7 might give it some life. I will say this phone is a much much better alternative to webos for those wanting media and entertainment out of a phone. The photos, and Zune apps are amazing. Top notch and above all other platforms. The gaming platform might be, it will depend on how capable wp7 is in gaming, but the Xbox live integration definitely sets it up for success. There is also Netflix and kindle so this phone is excellent for casual users wanting good media entertainment and social integration. I will get into that more in detail later but basically Facebook is integrated into everything... You could literally not get a Facebook app and have a nice Facebook experience. The Facebook app just brings the missing features. It lacks in productivity and pin. And hope that changes. Office needs more storage sources such as SkyDrive, dropbox and other popular ones. Needs a task app, notes app, multitasking, better calendar options and calendar syncing. As i said this is a very brief on the go review. Full review and comparison coming soon. I will say, despite the browser being behind in many areas, it has a couple notible features like being able to upload photos from within a webpage, fast loading times and smoothness. It needs html5 support, flash support, and the ability to use iPhone sites instead of mobile sites (hate using mobile bank of America not touch bank of America) i did run some side by sides against my bros pre and i definitely see the difference in the browser.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    have you ever played action RPG video games? I ask because I am honestly starting to believe software companies use a similar scale on how their oses progress as characters do I'm those games....
    LOL, good analogy. If smartphones were cars people would be buying next years model without wheels because it had a better paint job

That's why I keep sticking with a WM6 device; it may have rust, it does stall occasionally, but at least it has wheels. It does something more modern phone OSs can't, it can sync securely with Outlook (which matters to me).
    The arrive is a nice piece of hardware but the phone features and OS just feel unfinished and would drive any spoiled webOS user insane. I listed a few on wpcentral already and I will list them here again...

1. No custom ringtones...
    2. No individual volume levels for different media items on device such as ringer,alarm,zune. One volume controls all and that is just dumb if you ask me.
    3. On the Arrive text messages stop you at 160 characters??? You cant just keep typing and have it split them into 2 of 3 messages it makes you stop and send stop and send. Very annoying.
    4.Green LED notification light only warns about missed calls. Missed text or email you can forgot about that light doing anything. I love not having to turn on my Pre to see what I may have missed because its indicator light is perfect.
    5. Okay so the Arrive Internet Explorer goes into landscape mode. But when you wanna type in a web address with the virtual keyboard and not the slideout keyboard it will not let you because there is no address bar that shows up! I did not like having to slide that keyboard out because it was not easy compared to the Pre. Pre I could snap up with my thumb and this arrive needs 2 hands and good force to open.
    6. In my experience I was using the phone a couple times with the battery life going down while on calls. Both times the phone never gave me any warning of battery getting low. So the phone just died on me twice without any warning. Pretty sad.
    7. When in the dark the keyboard backlight would go out in like 5 seconds after sliding out the keyboard. Which basically was idiotic because I couldn't see anything and had to hit a random letter to light the keyboard back up and then start on whatever app I was on. They need backlight timer settings if they are gonna have it shut off so quickly!
    8. Another annoying thing is the fact the home screen stays sideways when the keyboard is slid out. So Android managed to make theirs go sideways why cant WP7 with the arrive and lg quantam. It just looks stupid...
    9. No battery % meter...
    10. For audiophiles like me the headphone volume with higher end headphones or earbuds is lacking greatly. If they wanna call this a Zune device then make it get just as loud as the Original Zune 30/80/120 and Zune HD did. Also where is the EQ settings that the original Zune 30 had Microsoft??? Made a big difference in sound compared to the crappy HTC Sound Enhancer app.
    11. No multitasking! If Microsoft thinks hitting the back arrow button to go back through your previous apps is multitasking then they are sadly mistaken. I realize they are getting some card system later on but what they have now makes IOS multitasking look genius.
    12. 3rd party apps run slow!!!!! Just try and load a Weather Channel or Weatherbug animated radar not on WIFI and see how long it takes. It is brutal.
    13. Internet Explorer is not as good as safari like stated above on IOS. Safari loads pages much faster with both on Wifi. Want to read comments on Engadget.com??? Think again... Neither the mobile version of engadget or full site version have any comment system that shows up. No engadget app either as of yet in the marketplace.
    14. No flash and probably never will be on IE...

I could list more but I will stop there for now. The OS may have potential and I hope it does well in the future but I returned the device due to the above issues. Just too many nagging things. You may find them to be small things but when you have so many accumulated up its hard to keep a device you just spent $200 on...
    Last edited by Thrasherx2k1; 04/07/2011 at 03:22 PM.
  16.    #16  
    This is true, but unfortunately the same can be said about webOS unfortunately. And as far as apps and media go, webos is way too far behind. I agree webOS is superior in all those things, but for many, the lack of apps and hardware/smoothness alone are good reasons not to stay for many. I believe windows phone is getting about 3k apps per month. I have almost every app I wanted aside from a good diet and student app, and I also love the mdia experience. Its still better then webos, Android and IOS in terms of media. The features you mention bug me to no end... I miss my ringtones my multitasking and all, however some of the things you mentioned also aren't present in webos. There really isn't a complete OS in existence. I wish i could mix webos and wp7 i do think after the next update it will be a whole lot closer. Anyway, i do think people who enjoyed webos would see wp7 as a good alternative rather then Android. But that's only my opinion
    wp7 just needs functionality to all native apps and setting and customization

webos needs apps and a overall upgrade to all native apps not to mention hardware acceleration
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    My Pre+ has been getting a little banged up lately (including needing a piece of tape to hold a piece of plastic on the side (I then put the front of my old case over that to hold it together...

so I decided as long as I'm waiting on the Pre3, I would use some time to try and give WP7 a fair shake. I got a Focus from best buy for $1.00 ($1.06 w/ tax) after they assured me I could return it within 30 days and not have my contract tied up (and reading it seemed to imply the same).

I liked the focus screen a lot, super amoled. Given a choice between that and the bulkier surround at the same price I chose it. The hardware is mostly far beyond what I had been using, the screen, the camera, etc, no need to rehash that here. The Pre3 is still TFT LCD right? anyway... this is more about the OS, not the hardware. One last note - this phone is very light for its size, and that battery cover is easily the flimsiest I've seen. I bought a durable case for it that will be a write-off if I return it, as I'm paranoid I'd damage it and then not be able to return it.

Right off the bat I found myself missing docking on my touchstone. Even if not for the power, just having the magnet to set it on in my car. I found myself wondering if it would be possible to glue some magnets on the case just for that alone.

Alright, now the phone. It looks nice. I has some awesome games available for it... but honestly that's not as big a draw as I thought it was. I mostly play quick games on my phone, like taking a turn in the client for chess.com (which does not have a wp7 client) or playing some scrabble-like game, the kidn of thing i can briefly do during downtime while waiting for something. I'm not gonna just play 30 seconds of harvest or hydro thunder, they're too involved for that. and there's no angry birds :P

Their market does have a lot of stuff on it, though. I really like microsoft's requirement that everything have a trial version where you can play it some before buying it.

But moving onto more important things. The multitasking is driving me nuts. That alone may force me to return it, far before the 30 days, too. I exit things and have no idea if they're running or not. The ability to hop over to a browser look something up and come back is something I was taking for granted. Here, I don't know if what I was doing will be there when I get back.

The skydrive integration is nice, I suppose. But I miss being able to send things directly to facebook.

The chat interface, though having a screen twice the size, is inferior as the virtual keyboard takes up half that space... and the colors behind the chat are the same for both parties. And its harder to read.

Another thing, they have these color themes for the main interface, but you get like a dozen colors and that's it, and they're all brighter than I would like. Why they can't be transparent with your wallpaper behind them I don't know. As it is you only see the wallpaper when coming out of sleep mode.

I had not owned a phone where I relied on a virtual keyboard before. I've occasionally used the palm one but usually don't. And I sometimes would stylus-tap on the one in WM6 way back when. I have discovered I don't like virtual keyboards. People praise this one as being a good one? I'd hate to see a bad one. I make a ton of mistakes and find myself resorting to their suggestions to get long words in a lot. I had no trouble tapping away twice as fast on the pre keyboard, something that makes me look forward even more to the pre3. (FWIW I don't like landscape physical keyboards as much, you have to use two hands then and the spacing is far apart enough I have to look sometimes (basing this on the one my fuze had).

What else... overall their facebook client seems weak to me. For starters it can't notify me of things. I also miss my sports live notifications.

I did like their weather channel app and having it update a tile with the basic info and seeing the radar view on a big screen. I found another radar one that looks prettier and does a nice scroll and zoom. (the pre3 weather channel one always has the arrows in the wrong spot on my screen).

anyway. I'll probably give it some more time to see if it grows on me, but if I had to decide today it'd go back to the store. Right now this is informative, it is telling me how much I like my webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Mango (7.1) looks to bring a lot of features people have been clamoring for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrasherx2k1 View Post
    The arrive is a nice piece of hardware but the phone features and OS just feel unfinished...
    How many of these missing 14 features are coming in 7.1 Mango?

Can any be addressed with apps?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast