Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Caveat: I've never really used WinOS; only played with a friend's for a second.

but I LOVE the look. Its the first refreshed look of a smartphone since the first iPhone. Its just a very refreshing take on what a smartphone can be. Very creative, which was a real surprise to me, coming from MS.

it was buggy (this was pre-Mango) though, but I suspect that will be fixed quickly.
    As a developer, I originally started with wp7 for school. Microsoft sponsored a project at my universities cs department and I entered (hp needs to do this with webos). The developer package is pretty sweet because of it's integration with visual studios (plus c# is a personal favorite of mine).

I personally like the look of the UI, although is wasn't love at first sight.

webOS #1
    wp7 #2
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    Another note... after I commented on how much I was disliking the WP7 virtual keyboard, my girlfriend (who had just switched from palm to an android (inspire) said she liked hers, so we swapped briefly to txt back and forth on each other's.

Its not just the screen being slightly larger (4" vs 4.3"). The android phone's keyboard seemed much easier to use. Part maybe the haptic feedback... partly it just used the space better. The wp7 keyboard, even in landscape, seemed to waste space on the sides. Whatever it was I tapped out a quick message without errors and without having to carefully look to make sure it got it right. This was not the case for me on the focus, nor for her typing on it (she immediately disliked typing on it also).

I did some searches and found some people are trying to cook roms to enable this, not sure if they've succeeded (apparently it is custom for each variant), but its not easy at any rate. Makes you appreciate how open the palm environment is. Another thing... many flashlight apps in their catalog. Not a one can control the LED flash as far as I can tell.

Thus far the only things I really like are having all my zune library easily available... and the screen for browsing. But even browsing is not as good as it could be. despite having a landscape keyboard for some things the browser does not. You rotate it and you don't even have a URL bar to type in.

I don't think I'm gonna last 30 days with this thing.
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    The focus is going back to Best Buy today. Put my SIM card back in the Pre+, feel better already.

I did give it a fair shot. The killer issues were:

1. multitasking
    2. keyboard
    3. notifications

All of these may well be much better under Mango. But Mango is not here yet (unless you are a developer, and I can't pay the fee just to find that out).
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post
    The focus is going back to Best Buy today. Put my SIM card back in the Pre+, feel better already.

I did give it a fair shot. The killer issues were:

1. multitasking
    2. keyboard
    3. notifications

All of these may well be much better under Mango. But Mango is not here yet (unless you are a developer, and I can't pay the fee just to find that out).
    aw well glad you gave it a chance. I probably wouldn't have gotten my arrive if it didn't have a keyboard, even though the virtual one is the best I've used, long messages would be a pain. I also miss notifications and multitasking, though a similar method to webos is coming.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post
    Another note... after I commented on how much I was disliking the WP7 virtual keyboard, my girlfriend (who had just switched from palm to an android (inspire) said she liked hers, so we swapped briefly to txt back and forth on each other's.

Its not just the screen being slightly larger (4" vs 4.3"). The android phone's keyboard seemed much easier to use. Part maybe the haptic feedback... partly it just used the space better. The wp7 keyboard, even in landscape, seemed to waste space on the sides. Whatever it was I tapped out a quick message without errors and without having to carefully look to make sure it got it right. This was not the case for me on the focus, nor for her typing on it (she immediately disliked typing on it also).

I did some searches and found some people are trying to cook roms to enable this, not sure if they've succeeded (apparently it is custom for each variant), but its not easy at any rate. Makes you appreciate how open the palm environment is. Another thing... many flashlight apps in their catalog. Not a one can control the LED flash as far as I can tell.

Thus far the only things I really like are having all my zune library easily available... and the screen for browsing. But even browsing is not as good as it could be. despite having a landscape keyboard for some things the browser does not. You rotate it and you don't even have a URL bar to type in.

I don't think I'm gonna last 30 days with this thing.
    this actually surprises me because most people prefer the keyboard and its gotten excellent ratings, androids actually not as known for great keyboards. I do like the haptic though, so that may be why. My arrives speaker on 3/4 volume seems to provide a very slight kickback when typing due to the click sound. Without this, I dont like it. So I hope the enable haptic. It is there, my touch buttons make the same vibration other haptic phones have.

As far as the web. I've seen the bar in landscape a few times not sure how I got it there. Also a few cool things about the browser that no body notices (and even tablets desperately need) is the ability to scroll in text fields and the ability to upload files (atleast as far as pictures go)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12